8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Fog/scope/colour/1x600ft.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Fog/scope/colour/1x600ft.
Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2006 08:46 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
heres another of deranns releases;dating back to 1984.well i mainaged to get this 600ft digest of perrys a couple of months back.it opens with the late john houseman telling ghost stories to some kids on the beach.we then move to a fishing traweller out at sea when out of nowhere a fog bank rolls in.the crew go up on deck when much to their surpise they see a old gallon pass them by.everything then go to hell as they are killed by the ghosts who have come on to their traweller.the local d.j.whos radio station is the local lighthouse withness in amazement as the fog begins to roll in carrying its deadly cargo.the local weather man is next to come a chopper.by the way that chacthers name is dan obannon;author of dark star and alien.the body toll doesnt stop here because the ghosts want to get even.carpenters movie has serveral things in its favor.it was the first pairing of jamie lee curtis and her mum the late janet leigh.next the directers use of the music and sound.first rate.this digest was and is a first rate release sadly its no longer availble.the picture is pin sharp and the sound is as clear as the fog horns.this movie is excellent to view any time of the year;not just at halloween.what of the editing of this digest.well im pleased to say that in all honesty its the best job ive ever seen.all the most memorable scenes are here.its opening to the terrfying climax.for those of us who have it its heaven;those who dont keep your eyes open.if this digest comes up second hand buy it;as i did.you will not be disapointed.this title was only released in scope.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 15, 2006 07:14 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Stereo or Mono sound, Andrew?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2006 08:09 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it is Derann, will you be able to tell the difference [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2006 08:11 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
the 600ft of the fog i have has an excellent mono soundtrack.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2006 12:43 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
who was it that done this superb cut down for derann?.andy.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2007 11:48 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Done KEN LOCKE.A great editing job of this classic chiller.Andy.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2014 05:56 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I waited a long time to get this (actually on release but there was a big delay until Derann could get a good print to edit, the feature was IIRC off a Rank 16mm negative). Mine has the disadvantage of the infamous "Rank bubble" where the fluid in the wet gate during production. I don't know if it was when the negative was made from possibly a slightly scratched print or during the print run.
I later managed to get one odd reel from the middle of the feature and edit it in. It does not jar in quality.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2014 01:11 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the full feature for several years...gorgeous color and sharp...and with stereo sound. One of my all time favorite films. A couple of years ago we ran it outside on the 17 foot scope screen....and it held up very very well. I remember thinking when I first screened this print how it was almost like being in the theater when I first saw it on its first release...even down to a couple of white reel change dots printed in ...but no scratches or anything like that.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 06, 2014 11:46 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm quite glad to have a stunning feature print of this as well, but I was very impressed with the edit of the 600ft digest of this as well.

Great info on the digest, film sources and who edited it, by the way. Thanx.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2015 03:55 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had this since its first release. I asked Derek after the feature release when the digest he was advertising would appear. He said they were waiting to get a good print to edit and that took a while.
It would seem then that the feature came from a negative source and the digest from a print. Full marks to Rank Labs for matching so well. I later bought reel 2 from the feature and spliced it into the 600ft version with little duplicate material.
Doing that did, however, show up the only fault in the digest. That is the one mentioned in reviews at the time - The Rank "bubble" that sometimes occurred when using the liquid gate printer to make the duplication negative. It shows at the top of the print, though very faintly hence the mixed print revealing it.
The copy shown at Blackpool last year had the same fault as it was printed into the negative, no-one seemed to notice.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 06, 2015 04:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Often wondered what that was Brian. Thanks for that!
I've got quite a few Rank Bubbles for a few frames here and there among my Deranns.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2015 04:57 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it,s a nice film indeed,agree with Andrew this movie can be see anytime,despite of the good job editing,i still prefer my full lenght,because the all athmosfere of the movie there,s details only the feature can show it,
but it,s nice to see it in any lenght...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 07, 2015 11:51 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great film on the scope screen, we bought the feature for £70 from Roger Lily of movieland international. A very good friend of ours for many years. We miss driving 3 miles to his house for a few hours browsing the stocks.
The film was a part of a collection he bought but he never wanted to sell modern violent films or modern horror so when they came in we got the phone call.
One of the best scope films, our part one does have some odd whistles that are difficult to explain, ive always wanted to get it re recorded but its only for the first few minutes & there on and off, very weird, but great sound and print. [Wink]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2015 02:15 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, yes, ye ole "Rank Bubble"! [Big Grin]

How many a lovely print suffered it's appearance. Rank apparently were quite stubborn at the time about re-making negatives...how times have changed.

Love my 600ft version of The Fog, which I bought new from Derann back in the day.

Funny story...about 15 years back, I was watching TV on Halloween and they were showing The Fog. Well, I enjoyed it so much that the next afternoon I thought I'd run my super 8 version in full 'scope.

I'd forgotten the part in the full length movie where the tape recorder playing the radio promos slows down and becomes eerie...

As I'm running my 600 footer, half way through, the whole ST1200 starts to slow down to a crawl!!!

I leapt up and saved the print. It was the infamous rubber on the ST shutter going gooey, but what a time to do it!

Scared me half to death, and in more ways than one [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 09, 2015 02:43 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It takes a very brave man to run that beauty through a gooey shutter! I admire your bravery Rob! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC