8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Madagascar Penguins (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Madagascar Penguins
Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2006 10:15 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got this new release from Derann just yesterday. Most have obviosly seen it when it was run at cinemas before the excellant "Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were Rabit" feature.
Just to say to anyone considering ordering that this is a really first rate print!

|  IP: Logged

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2006 07:16 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, what is the sound quality like on this print?

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2006 10:03 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stereo, but unfortunatly quite a bit of hiss. I run a GS1200 through a 10 band graphic equalizer and could reduce this.By the way this extract is on the new 2 disc release of Madagascar. Allready waiting for this to arrive off EBay and I will re-record the sound on my print. It could be that mine has dodgy sound, there must be more that have this by now. As I said before very sharp , nice bright highly detailed and colourfull print, one of the best!

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2006 11:55 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

How long is this print? Is it 200ft or 400ft? What sort of running time does it have?

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2006 03:36 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

Hope this helps, straight from the web site:-

Also arriving will be ‘The Madagascar Penguins in A Christmas Caper’. This is a wickedly funny eleven minute CGI animated short that was shown along with the ’Wallace and Gromit’ feature and stars the four psychotic penguins, that made us laugh so much in the feature “Madagascar” Details once again are inside this newsletter.

--------------------
Tony

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2006 02:22 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tony,

I guess should have realised that as I posted that quote in my thread on the 8mm forum [Roll Eyes] .

Mike

--------------------

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2006 02:02 PM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

It is on a 400ft reel, I have joined the "Wallace & Gromit trialer" + the other new release "Future Generations" before "The Madagascar Penguins in a Christmas Caper" and this fills the 400 ft reel to the brim & makes a very nice reel.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2006 02:24 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark! [Smile]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 21, 2007 04:11 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recieved "The Madagascar Penguins Christmas Caper" from the Derann second hand list lately, and only just got round to watching it last night, what an excellent print, sharp, rock steady image, but what really stood out was the bright vivid colours, [Cool] the stereo sound was very good, slightly on the low side but quite acceptable, an outstanding release from Derann.

Graham. [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 21, 2007 09:24 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

I couldn't agree with you more. It's a beautiful print of a very funny film. Rob Young was kind enough to send me his artwork which now adorns that Derann white box.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 10, 2008 07:49 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Christmas Caper
Color, Stereo sound, 250ft, 12 mins
Derann Films

I have just watched my new print of this film which I purchased at the recent 55th BFCC.
This film rates a high 7.8 on the IMDB. To quote one reviewer:
"There are so many sight gags and jokes in this 12-minute animated short it would make your head swim. The artwork is fantastic and the humor is equally fabulous. It's all a story about four penguins ready to celebrate Christmas when one of them goes out to cheer up a lonely polar bear. The others, with the "Black Hawk Down" credo of never leaving anyone behind, go after him and rescue the little guy from a brutal old woman and her vicious poodle. The story really is secondary to all the clever gags and visuals, too many to mention in here."

-

Derann's Super 8mm print is absolutely stunning. Ultra needle sharp throughout, with superb contrast and deep beautiful rich coloring. Black is truly black on this print and I can assure you that this S8 print will hands down beat any home projected DVD version of this film, because current home VP's can't approach this kind of picture contrast and color saturation. The stereo sound was very good on my Eumig 938, with plenty of depth and surround effect. A joy to watch. Very highly recommended.
Print A++++
Sound (stereo) B+
Packaging: 3 (Peckham Scale)
Please note the box cover illustration above is my own effort to put on my film box. The Derann film comes in a plane white box with a title label.

[ June 11, 2008, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 11, 2008 04:29 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
After reading that Paul, I have sent an email to Ged asking for a copy. Sounds like it's a real stunner from the comments on this thread.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 11, 2008 04:53 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev, you will not be disappointed. A terrific show opener for the not-to-distant Christmas season.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 12, 2008 06:56 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul, Its now on it's way. Probably have it tomorrow ready for the weekend [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 12, 2008 06:59 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev: you won't regret it. One of the best recent releases. [Wink]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2008 08:50 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin

How much was it?

Simon.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 12, 2008 11:44 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Simon, £29.99 plus shipping.

Kev.

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 13, 2008 05:20 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Having got my copy now I have to say I agree with what you guys say.
Beautiful well saturated colours and really sharp. Sound I thought was Lowish and slightly Variable between the left and right. It could do with a re record if the stripe will take it.

Picture A+ Sound B

Kev.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 14, 2008 01:13 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev: I have re-recorded it and sound has improved considerably.

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 14, 2008 02:56 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have it to and I agree with all the comments including the slightly warbly sound stripe. My copy didn't take to re-recording too well!
But the picture and content more than make up for it.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 14, 2008 06:15 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
JM, Do you have a copy of the soundtrack or where can I get it.

Thanx Kev.

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 14, 2008 10:33 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its on the "Madagascar" DVD. Its one of the special features I think.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2008 05:23 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, is this flat/scope/letterboxed?

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 25, 2008 05:26 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flat print Bill.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 26, 2008 06:46 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev: track sent. Check your email for the FTP link.
Bill, film is letterboxed (flat print)

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC