8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Captains Paradise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Captains Paradise
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2006 02:32 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Captain's Paradise (1953)

I bought this film almost by accident and I am so glad that I did.
The previous owner clearly cherished it as well by the attention to detail; for example all heads and tails have the film name and reel details in silver paint? Beautifully written. I think the film is one released by Powell although I am hoping someone else can tell me more about this particular company.

It is a nice Black and White print with not too much grain noticeable and not too contrasty with good detail throughout. Though perhaps not as sharp as some I own it gives a very pleasant and atmospheric image when projected to 6 or 7 feet. There did seem to be some minor neg wear evidenced by some thin white lines in the print especially on reel 2 but they do not distract the viewer’s attention.

This film is a treat! It is the tale of an English sea Captain (Alec Guiness) who thinks he has devised the perfect arrangement for paradise. He has a wife in two ports - each one half his idea of the perfect woman. His English wife (Celia Johnson) is the dutiful, domestic wife, whilst his Latin wife (Yvonne De Carlo) provides the excitement, which he craves. The two wives appear to be stereotypical characters - but neither is quite as they seem! I don’t want to give too much away and even though the plot is simple it fooled me into expecting an ending that turned out quite different. With a rating of 7.0/10 from 331 Votes on IMDB it can’t be bad

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC