8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Jack the Giant Killer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jack the Giant Killer
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 10, 2006 12:34 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well.. I got this in a trade for some films I wasn't watching. It is a Red Fox Print on 6x 400 reels and was said to have never been screened! Yes..not a scratch on it!
Now I haven't seen all of it yet but what I have seen in terms of print quality is astounding. The colors are super rich and contrasty and the sharpness is very good. I am so impressed with the quality of this print I had to come on after screening reel 1 to let all of you know!
The story is very much like the Sinbad films with Harryhausen but I have to say its the Poor man's Harryhausen! The Stop motion is very crude and the miniature models are not very good but if I saw this when I was 13 I would have to say it would have become a favorite of mine. Im just jaded these days!
If you can find a copy of this I would bet you would be happy to own it. The picture quality alone is worth it. I never knew Red Fox could print up material this good.
This print is a **Wow**. I was going to sell it but its a keeper!

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2006 04:35 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, this is really is a stunning print, isn't it.

I found a copy at the Derann Blackpool convention a couple of years ago. I knew nothing about the film but the guy was showing it on his stall on a little 2ft screen and I was just captivated by the colours in the print. Really "chocolate box"!

I just kept returning to his stall to have another look and finally couldn't resist buying. I think the film itself is cracking entertainment, often hilarious for all the wrong reasons...wait 'till you see the sea demons or the dragon at the end [Wink] Like you say, hardly Ray Harryhausen. Great stuff and full of dialogue you just have to giggle at,
"Sire, a giant is making off with the Princess".

You don't often hear that said!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 10, 2006 09:16 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good thing he didn't say "out" instead of "off" [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 10, 2006 10:35 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Jack The Giant Killer" is such a fun film, and it's a treat to see three main talents from "The Seventh Voyage Of Sinbad" (Director Nathan Juran, stars Kerwin Matthews and Torin Thatcher)reunited.
Red Fox produced some absolutely stunning prints. I'm still hurting that I never picked up one of their early, beautiful prints of "The Adventures Of Robin Hood".

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2006 11:30 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
hi there doug;does derann not do the full feature of robin hood?.i know they used to and that was red fox prints.andy.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2006 10:46 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Who's the leading lady in JACK-THE GIANT KILLER?.My mind's gone
blank.Andy.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 03, 2006 11:23 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

Judi Meredith played the lovely Princess Elaine.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2006 08:35 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading all the very positive reviews about this film I decided to get a copy of it whenever possible. One came up on ebay and I managed to get it. I was amazed at the quality of this print. Stunning color,pin sharp image and great sound. There are some quite scary moments in it as well. I can only repeat what others on this forum have said, if you see this print for sale snap it up as you will not be disappointed. Many thanks to Alan and Rob for the info on the quality of this film as this is a title I might have let pass me by.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2006 10:07 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Doug.That's her name and very lovely she was too,if i remember right.Andy.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 04, 2012 06:02 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to mention, you chaps might like to know that the effects
technician responsible for the animation, was the great Jim
Danforth who was himself an admirer of Ray Harryhausen.
Unfortunately Jim wasn't responsible for the outer skins on the
stop motion models and as he did say that he thought the design of the models grotesque and unconvincing but he did turn in a quite enteraining little film.Jim Danforth was the man
who got an award for his animation in the Hammer film
"When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth".More information can be found in the new book from Ernie Farino,himself a special effects technician E-mail info@archive-editions.com
This book is a work of love and dedication to Ray Harryhausen
from a fan who became through his hard work an effects
expert in the film industry and should be on any serious stop
motion fans bookshelf.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2012 06:28 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim actually received a nomination plaque for WDRTE but returned it in protest against the special award received for the 1976 KING KONG version. I'm sure Jim will write in depth in his Volume 2 book.

Hugh-Did you get his E-book?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 25, 2012 06:16 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Larry,forgive this belated reply,no I didn't get Jim's book,simply
because I'm old fashioned and like the feel of a volume in my
hands as opposed to a video disc.Someday it might make it to
the printed page,I'll wait till then.By the way,Ernie Farino's book is out now on the first four issues of his mag FXRH and Mike Hankin's
Vol. one of his Ray Harryhausen triple volume set.Details from
ernestfarino@archive-editions.com

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2012 10:03 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great film! Terrified me as a younster. Have noted that a new film Jack the Giant Killer (Dir: Bryan Singer) is due for release in 2013 but its narrative is that of Jack and the Beanstalk (obviously they have funked the name up to appeal to the younger generation et al)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1opzWmr8NSU

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC