8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » airport75-1x400ft/scope colour sound.18mins.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: airport75-1x400ft/scope colour sound.18mins.
Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2006 08:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
heres the sequel to the first airport and its in all its cinevision glory.
after a good title selection were on board a 747 heading for its landing at salt lake.also on the same route is a private small aircraft plioted by dana andrews.as both wait for clearence,andrews collapes over the controls suffing from a heart attack.
the captain of the 747 efrem zimbalist jnr can do nothing as the light aircraft crashes into the 747.the co-pilot is sucked out and zimbalist is blinded-but miraculously theplane is still airborne!.
karen black,one of the air hostnesses,is shocked by what she finds but maintains control enough to radio for help.
george kennedy,always on hand when theres a juicy disater,takes control and immediately calls in charlton heston,ace pilot supreme-well it makes a change from parting the red sea!.between them they organise an amazing mid-air rescue opeartion-guess who saves the day!.
this was a very well edited two reeler which follows beauifully telling the main story.all the padding was disguarded.a fine example of what universal8 did in its heyday.
the sound is excellent,the colour does suffer from some fading,still worth seeking out on the second hand lists.
i would love to have known what susan turner would say now reguarding that colour fade.
oh buy the way susan turner was the company boss of universal8 at that time.
still its a highly recommend.andy.

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 05, 2006 12:46 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew
Airport 75 was one of best digests, even in its Flat format was very good ,what I really liked about it, much of the flying was done with a real 747 I particularity liked the scene of the 747 flying down through the mountains no CGI or models here an exellent digest. [Smile]
Graham.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2006 08:29 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
yes graham,there was no c.g.i in that movie.in my view it was one of the best two reelers ever to come out of universal8.andy.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2006 04:15 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up a used copy of this scope digest a month ago and finally got a chance to watch it last night. This print runs longer than most digests during its release (almost 19 minutes), but seems much faster, due to the swift editing.

This digest is another example of how good a print can be edited. This digest flows better than the first original "Airport".

Another thing I really liked about this digest is that it seems that great consideration was taken in choosing what shots would look most impressive on the big movie screen at home. Especially in scope- there is so much happening across the whole screen. I can't really imagine watching this flat. It would have to at least be letterboxed.

My print has some fading, but still looks great.

P.S.- Don't look for Linda Blair in this digest. Her scenes have been completely edited.

Highly recommended digest!

Nick.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2006 05:48 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel deja vu coming on here! I also watched this great Cinevision Digest last evening. Mine has very little fade and was purchased from Paul Foster. Another sample of his excellent quality sales.This has to be one of Universal 8's best edited versions. Not as good as Jaws 200', but then again what is? [Smile]
Keith

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2006 09:43 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own AIRPORT '77 from U-8 and it's so-so. You see, I'm a big Chris Lee fan and when I saw his scenes lasted seconds I was truly disappointed. Overall, it's not really abd digest from a U-8 standpoint and the color has only mild fade, but for you Lee fans out there, you may want to pass it over (also Ken Films' 3 MUSKETEERS digest has practically no Lee, at all save for a glimpse at the very ending scene).

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2006 04:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,Brad.I too have Airport77;and was dissapointed that there was no more footage of Chris Lee.The two reeler was ok otherwise.With ref to Kens digest,i thought Christopher Lee was the Mane villian of the movie.That must be a right cock up as a digest.Andy.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2006 01:11 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never saw the 200' version of "Musketeers" so I can only imagine how disappointing that must be, but you're right. Chris was, aside from Chuck Heston's character, the arch villain and although the digest itself is not bad it was such a shame that they excised all of Lee's footage. However, KEN usually put out crap so I can't say I'm all too surprised.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC