8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Wildlife Interlude

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wildlife Interlude
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 10, 2006 10:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This came up in general Yak recently, so I thought I'd add a plug for one of my favorites.

Derann's "Wildlife Interlude" is an excellent 200 foot cutdown of the feature "When the North Wind Blows". It is made from a Walton negative and still has the Walton closing at the end. It is scenes of Siberian Tigers and other wildlife free in the wilderness of Russia (Not Alaska as Derann's site says, although it was filmed in Alberta, which is well... neither! )

The color runs a little on the blue side, but not so much to be bothersome. The image is very sharp. The sound is excellent and has a great sampling of the very evocative orchestral score used in the feature.

It is a very unusual cutdown in so far as it goes much further than simplifying the footage down to key story points, but disposes of the storyline altogether. Other than two sentences of narration spoken near the beginning of the film, there is absolutely no human presence. This is purely a mood piece, but actually an excellent one.

One wacky thing is a thin white line all the way over on the left beyond the image which looks like it's trying to be an optical sound track. It's not bothersome and becomes easy to forget after a while. I've never seen this anywhere else.

This film is usually not stocked at Derann, but new prints can be ordered if you are willing to wait for them to be printed. I really enjoy it and I doubt It often goes more than a month between showings at our house.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 12, 2006 12:01 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting thing I've noticed from several viewings of both the feature "When the North Wind Blows" and its extract "Wildlife Interlude" is that the extract contains footage not in the feature: something you don't run into very often!

Insofar as these scenes mesh so well with the geography and style of the feature I'm guessing they were originally out-takes which were removed primarily to keep the screen time of the feature reasonable. As it is, it runs almost two hours.

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 12, 2006 04:16 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I agree whole heatedly with your comments. Its superb and makes for a really stunning short.

I have to say that I was unaware that this footage wasn't in the original feature release.

I checked my Derann copy out tonight and I have to say that it doesnt have this white edge. It may be down down to it being slit slighty over or under width. I would think that If you have a black border to your screen you can loose it on the black border itself.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 12, 2006 05:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin,

It basically comes to that whole process that you go through between watching an extract and watching the full feature of the same film. When you watch one after knowing the other you see all the scenes in the extract and know the context they have in the feature. In the case of this extract basically none of the feature story is there so seeing the whole thing is quite a revelation!

As I said, there are a number of scenes that pop up in "Wildlife Interlude" you simply never see in the feature. For example there are no river otters in "When the North Wind Blows" and several scenes of lynxes playing in the water aren't there either. (perhaps in some other edition?)

Interesting thing: The large canine in "Interlude" cavorting with the deer is actually not a wolf, but one of the hero's sled dogs, I always assumed it was a wolf before I got the feature. (-should have suspected: wolves aren't known for "cavorting" with animals they normally eat!)

The gathering of the Wolves in the extract turns out to be because in the feature they have the hero treed, and are waiting for him to tire so they can knock him down and eat him!(...it's not exactly a night at the ballet!)

The white stripe is noticeable only if you really pay attention to it, it really doesn't bother me at all.

[ August 12, 2006, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2009 05:03 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-

I just purchased this one from Derann last month. I have to agree with you all. This is a very good nature reel. I have never seen "North Wind..", but watching this, it doesn't feel like an extract, but more a self-contained short.

I will be poping this one on the projector after a hard day at work- a good film for "unwinding" [Wink] .

James.

P.S.- I didn't notice the white stripe on my print.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 05, 2009 09:32 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this white stripe is unique to my print.

If I show it on a Eumig projector, the narrower aperture covers the stripe, if I show it on an Elmo, I can see it. Either way I've grown used to it and it doesn't bother me anyway.

I watched mine the other night and noticed how skillfully edited it is. In the full feature, the scene where the wolf pack notices the tiger and then scatters has the hero (Avakum, played by Henry Brandon) shown a number of times. All of those shots are removed and replaced by wildlife scenes, and it flows very nicely.

I agree, this is not exactly an extract. It's more like a different film edited out of (mostly) the same footage.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC