8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Creature from the Black Lagoon (120m/400ft version) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Creature from the Black Lagoon (120m/400ft version)
Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2006 05:48 PM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I finally managed to watch my short version of
"Creature from the Black Lagoon" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046876/ ).
And I like it so much that I'm writing this review (besides: it's my first review and I'm no native English speaker. So please have mercy when you do find strange formulations [Wink] )

I own the 120m (400ft) version distributed by piccolo with a German soundtrack as "Der Schrecken vom Amazonas"/"Das Ungeheuer der schwarzen Lagune". Since the box sports a "Universal 8 films - formerly castle films"-logo and the film comes with a "Universal 8" (and no "piccolo"-logo), I guess that the American version is the same (except for the soundtrack).

Now back to the review:

Story:
The story survived the reduction from approx. 80min to approx. 20min - it still makes sense and makes fun to follow. Unfortunately the introduction of the characters, setting, ... is missing. Hence you'll jump right into the action: Jungle, some humans and a beast... so the fight begins... .
Nevertheless I would still rate it as a good edit.

Sound:
Great! It's clear, it's crisp, ... ! (It's only mono, but the 35mm-version was mono, too [Wink] )

Image/3D-effects:
My version hasn't faded a bit. The picture's sharpness is okay to good. The image is very stable and NOT "shaky". Hence the 3D-glasses turn this colour-film into a nice b&w-3D-film. And the 3D-effects are very nice! This edit is even long enough to have more static scenes that nearly let you forget that you're seeing a 3D-movie... that is until the next object is thrown at the camera, ... [Big Grin]
The best about it: most of the time the 3D-effect works great for me. (I wear glasses. Therefore I'll have to combine the 3D-glasses with my normal one. This usually results in me seeing two overlapping 2D-images instead of one 3D-image. This happened at some Imax-cinemas, at Disneyland, ... . Hence I'm rather pleased/surprised that this super8-system works for me!)
The only problem: the universal-8-logos at the beginning/end are the normal ones and hence look very uggly when wearing 3D-glasses.

Summary: Get it!

Here's another review (in German, but it shows the box and some screenshots):
http://www.super-8-hobby.de/rezent194.htm

BTW: I'm going to see this film again with some friends in October. Therefore I've ordered 20 cardboard-3D-glasses for 1,50 EUR each. They work fine. Hence you won't be restricted to the one or two glasses that came with the film - you'll only have to search a little bit more to find those red-blue-glasses (red-green/red-cyan now seems to be more common).

Jörg

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2006 09:06 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
great review joerg;nice pics too.andy.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2006 10:08 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jörg,

This is a wonderful review. [Smile]
I never knew the contents
within the 400 foot
version. The B&W 200 foot
'standard editions' always
seemed very nicely paced,
and all three versions
work well together.

However the 3D version is
a treat to own and a special
edition to your library of
film.

Can you tell if the stock
on the 400 foot version
is low fade, and if it is
SP or LPP?

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2006 03:54 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice cover too.it looks better than the universal eight
release from all those years ago.andy.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2006 06:53 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

thanks for your kind comments.

I forgot to add that I bought this film for 65,- EUR from a local film dealer (Michael Schneider) last year. Ebay-prices for this and the other 3D-titel ("Gefahr aus dem Weltall"/"It Came From Outer Space") normally range from 40 to 80 EUR (+ 5 to 10 EUR shipping), depending on the film's condition, missing glasses, ... . When the film is in good or mint condition, it normally sells for more than 60 EUR.

I'll take a closer look at the film this weekend to find out whether it's Kodak, Agfa, Fuji, Orwo or another filmstock.

BTW: It looks like these two films are the only 3D-films released on Super8 (except for some home-made films made with the Elmo/Elgeet/Bolex/...-beam-splitters, ...). Is this correct?
It also looks like there's no full length version of both titles. :-(

Jörg

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 14, 2006 07:47 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joerg,

Thanks for your review. I always felt that the 400' "Creature" ranks as one of the finest digests ever put out. In response to your question, There are quite a few other 3D releases on Super 8mm.
I'm quoting myself from an earlier 3D thread :
Columbia released two Three Stooges silent 50 footers, "Spooks" and Tails(!) of Horror". They also had a 200 ft 3D version of "The Mad Magician". Later on they released a 400 ft "Mad Magician" which had great 3D effects, but was badly edited.
Derann has the 3D films "Audioscopiks","Audioscopiks 2" and the 400' Three Stooges "Pardon My Backfire" which is a lot of fun.
I haven't seen the second Audioscopiks, but the 3D effect in the first is lacking. There is also "Murder in the Third Dimension" in which a skeleton, Frankenstein's Monster, and a Zulu warrior(!) all threaten our hero by throwing various objects at the camera.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Philippe Cuypers
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2006 07:55 AM      Profile for Philippe Cuypers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
joe Polzfusz, wha! wha! this is great film information you bring to this fantastic film forum! Joe, I knew about the german creature 400ft , but what I didnt know is the (It came from outer space) thats a cool picture, great collections of films! like doug point out , theirs a lot off different film out there thats what makes our film hobby the greatest in the world ! And the greatest film forum in the planet! great info Joe!

--------------------
Philippe Cuypers

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2006 07:59 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am amazed that my 400ft 3-d Universal 8 print has held up very well....and still retains its very nice 3-D effects ...especially the underwater scenes with the bubbles , etc. Just very nice. It's too bad they didn't release Revenge in 3-D for super 8.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 14, 2006 03:55 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joerg,
I have the 400ft creature digest, but mine has faded pretty badly, so much of the 3D effect is gone.
Incidentally, 'Creature' was filmed not too far from here, in the crystal clear Wakulla Springs Florida, about 200 miles north of Orlando. Every year they have a 'Creature' festival, where they show all the 'Creature' movies, and the still beautiful Julia Adams usually attends and signs autographs.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 15, 2006 06:30 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Creature" is one of my favorite cut-downs from U8. My print is holding well so the 3D still works. There's a great depth of field when people are standing on the Rita as the scenery moves in the background.

Funny trivia bit: I watched an old French VHS of King Kong vs Godzilla yesterday and the "dramatic" music used on this version (USA cut) is the actual soundtrack from "Creature"...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2006 08:38 AM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

I have prints of both of the 3-D movies released by Piccolo Film, "Creature from the Black Lagoon" and "It Came from Outer Space". As none of them has a Piccolo logo advanced - both start with Universal 8's logo and English credits - I suppose the negatives were directly received from Universal 8, so the editing should be the same. Both prints are on old Eastman stock, one print is dated 1977, the other 1978. Although there is some colour fade (with the blues/greens still there), the 3-D effect works very well on both.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2006 10:10 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eberhard,

That is marvelous,
and something for me
to keep an eye out for
in the future!

Thank you. [Smile]

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 16, 2006 08:44 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike - please answer me soon, Fraternally Shorty

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2006 06:02 PM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI,

my print is on "eastman safety film", too. Nevertheless the leader says "Schrecken vom Amazonas" - and there's no splice. Hence there's a small chance that the Universal8-prints have been made on another material. Nevertheless I still would says that the German version has been made from the same negative as the Universal8-version.

Jörg
P.S.: Thanks for the link to the other 3D-films!

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2006 10:26 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note to anyone looking to buy these 3D titles...be sure you have red and green anaglyph glasses for the Universal titles. I've noticed a lot of eBay sellers providing red and blue glasses (not the originals) and the 3D effect is substantially reduced. There are several places to find them online, e.g.: http://www.berezin.com/3d/3dglasses.htm.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2006 10:37 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Is derann's print any diffent from the old universal8 print
of IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE?.Both are in 3D.I wished derann
could have got their hands on Creature as well.Does derann's
print hold up better than the old one.Andy?.

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2006 01:07 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw that a Piccolo print of "IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE" is now on eBay Germany and can be obtained via "buy it now": http://cgi.ebay.de/Super-8-GEFAHR-AUS-DEM-WELTALL-3-D_W0QQitemZ9150200483QQihZ011QQcategoryZ1476QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2006 05:57 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Note to anyone looking to buy these 3D titles...be sure you have red and green anaglyph glasses for the Universal titles. I've noticed a lot of eBay sellers providing red and blue glasses (not the originals) and the 3D effect is substantially reduced. There are several places to find them online, e.g.: http://www.berezin.com/3d/3dglasses.htm.
My print came with red-blue-glasses ("original" according to the seller), all pictures of other prints are showing red-blue-glasses, too. Hence I guess that the piccolo-released 3D-universal-titles require red-blue rather than red-green glasses?

Confused,
Jörg

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2006 08:47 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW: The French piccolo-print of "It came from outer space" is available for only EUR 14,99 as "buy it now":
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330010874000&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:DE:1

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2006 09:03 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joerg,

I have an original Universal 8 "Creature" and a brand-new Derann "Outer Space" (made from the Universal 8 negative). Both are red and green. It seems odd that Piccolo would change the green to blue in their prints, but who knows. What color does the film itself look like?

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2006 09:58 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some screenshots + pictures of the glasses can be found here:
"The Creature From The Black Lagoon":
http://www.super-8-hobby.de/rezent194.htm
"It Came From Outer Space":
http://www.super-8-hobby.de/rezent193.htm

"It was filmed and originally released in 3-D for polarized 3D-glasses (but mainly distributed for the red/green anaglyph spectacles, showing an inferior 3D-effect)"
http://experts.about.com/e/c/cr/Creature_from_the_Black_Lagoon.htm
There are other webpages that are speaking about red-blue-glasses... *sigh*

Still confused,
Jörg

[ July 24, 2006, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Joerg Polzfusz ]

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2006 02:56 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt,

Piccolo also used a Universal Eight negative. They didn´t change the colors. Red/blue glasses doesn´t work.

Andreas

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2006 11:54 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Red/blue glasses doesn´t work.
Why does it work for me then?

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 27, 2006 02:11 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you only think it works, and you just don't know better?

When viewing the film without the glasses, do you see red/green images or red/blue ones?

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2006 02:59 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I can tell that one channel is red - but the other channel is neither completely green nor blue for me [Frown]
Nevertheless Eberhard Nuffer confirmed that one of his 3D-films (still shrink wrapped by piccolo) came with red-blue glasses and that he tried some red-green without success.
Nevertheless my red-blue-glasses (from piccolo, too) is using a lighter blue than the ones I've bought. And my original glasses seem to work better.

Jörg

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC