8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Dr.Cyclops-17mins.super8.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr.Cyclops-17mins.super8.
Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2006 11:49 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a good two reeler for lovers of cinema magic.Dating from
1940;long before computers came on the scene;its a terrific yarn.
This two reeler was released by Universal8 back in the winter of
1978 and was a success.
After the title sequence,we meet the smooth domed Dr.Thorkel(Albert
Dekker)-a sort of evil Kojak!-who's haveing trouble with his assistant."You're tamping with powers reserved for God",the
latter accuses-but Thorkel retaliated by jamming the assiatant's
head into the path of the deadly cosmic ray.We see it shrink before our eyes..!Excellent trick photography.
Four vistors think Thorkel is off his head as he shows them
around his lab.
As they examine the condeser chamber,he slams the door behind
them and truns on the ray.
When next seen,the visitors are only six inches tall using bits
of cloth to cover their nakedness.
As the cat growls at them,Thorkel snears"Thoses mice ain't for
you-not yet..."
Then followers some brillant special effects and trick photography as Thorkel plays with his human toys.When they escape
out into the garden,he sets fire to the grass-but they retain their freedom.As Thorkel takes a nap,they manage to break one
lens of his 'pebble' spectacles.He rages "Now you can call me
Cyclops for i have one good eye",and we are set for the final chase.All ends happily as the mad doctor plunges down a bottomless well and the victims regain their normal size.
A fascinating two reeler with good sound;but alas my print has faded badly.No matter this is a excellent piece of holywood
gone by.If this was made today;C.G.I.would of course be used.ARGH.
When this was originnally releasd the print had a sepia tone to
it anyway.The ideal companion to this is the JACK ARNOLDclassic
THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN.A excellent two reeler for lovers of
real special effects magic.highly recommend.Andy.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 22, 2006 10:22 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was really good! I have the old 200ft sound (standard 8mm) of this, and I've always been curious to see this film on DVD. I understand that this was originally in color?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2006 05:12 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Osi.you're old standed8 is most likely in better nick
than this two reeler.Andy.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 23, 2006 07:07 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need the 200' S8 Sound edition myself - Shorty

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2007 12:27 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own both versions and I actually prefer the 200'er. First off, I think the film as a whole works much better in B&W. I've always found color to be a hindrance rather than a help with the old horror flicks from the 30's & 40's. Secondly, my print is also very faded and it would be a shame to show it to someone who has never seen the entire film - it may shy them away from ever wanting to view the entire feature. Paramount shot it in color strictly to fulfill a contractual obligation with Technicolor - NOT because the creative team involved felt it would enhance the narrative or visual effects and IMHO it was a big waste. The color gives everything a cheery, south seas island type of feel rather than invoking chills and thrills. Studios back in the day only used color sparingly and only with productions they could foresee gaining a big return on their investment such as musicals or splashy "period" pieces.

[ January 24, 2013, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Brad Kimball ]

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2007 07:52 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what print of Dr. Cyclops Andrew saw when it was first released, but I got to see an original nitrate 35mm print of that film at the American Film Institute in D.C. years and years ago...and it was anything but sepia. It had all the rich tones you'd expect from IB Tech. Just a sparkling print. I had only , of course, seen the film on b/w tv and I was blown away by the colors....especially the first scenes you see of the the Dr. Striking.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2014 07:59 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone recall if the digest ever had all of its true colors or was it always the sepia-type timbre it has now? The only scene in mine where there's any green is in the very beginning when Thorkel kills his assistant. Other than that...Brown-Red Sepia tone just like the opening scenes in "Wizard Of Oz".

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 08, 2014 08:42 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought this from Rake at BFCC and he told me they were all more or less poor in color. Mine is almost black and white :-/

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 08, 2014 08:52 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When U-8 first released Dr. Cyclops (as Andrew said), the reviews pointed out the sepia color. If that was the best they could manage, U-8 should have put it out in B&W.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2014 09:22 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree, Doug.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2014 11:31 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the 400'er was in color only? I also have this print and I enjoy it but I would never show it to anyone either...no color at all. It would be nice to have it in real B&W.

Bill [Smile]

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2014 12:50 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 400'er was only released in color. However, I seem to remember a U/8 catalog specifying at the end of the description "special effects in color" which would explain a lot. It's not the black catalog that I believe was their final brochure from '79. That's the one I have. Does anyone else recall this? Doug Meltzer has every film catalog in Christendom. He could probably verify this.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2014 06:37 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 70's I got to see a 35mm IB Tech print of Dr. Cyclops at the AFI in D.C. It was gorgeous....with great use of color, particularly in the laboratory scenes. Just a lovely viewing experience. The Super 8 two reeler was an abomination. I was so disappointed with it...and I bought it new when it came out. I sent it back and got my money back.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2014 08:18 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gary. Would you be kind enough to expand upon why you hated the digest so much. I know others were disappointed with it as well. I actually didn't think the editing was too bad. My complaint is the sepia thing. Very curious what exactly it was that angered you enough to return it. I actually returned my first copy of "A & C Meet Frankenstein" back to U/8 thinking it was defective. When I watched the exchange copy they sent me - same lousy picture quality. I kept it figuring they probably used some crappy 16mm print from their rental library to print the 400'ers. It figured.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 09, 2014 12:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that most of the complaints were because of the lousy color quality.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2014 06:43 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes...having seen it in its glory in 35mm at the AFI....then looking forward to a nice super 8 color edition...and then receiving that horrid print ..... I didn't even watch the whole thing. I packed it right back up and sent it back.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC