8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » BLACK CHRISTMAS marketing 2 x400 ft

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BLACK CHRISTMAS marketing 2 x400 ft
Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2006 02:12 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Black Christmas. The title alone conjures weird images, at least in my mind it does. I watched this film in the theatre in 1974, at the tender age of 10. I was a veteran of horror films, surviving the TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE and NIGHT of the LIVING DEAD at the even MORE tender age of 5.
I was reared on the Classic terror tale, but by the late 60's, things had become graphic and gratuitous. So, i was looking for a "modern" interpretation of Fear with class and thought. BLACK CHRISTMAS does capsulate a terror which other "slasher" films prior or since have failed. The reason is simple. The human mind. IT lifts the veil of comfort and reveals subconscious primal fears of doubt and vulnerability.
Our leading lady is Olivia Hussey, and what a lady she is. As one watches the film, the male instinctively would give ones life to defend such feminine beauty and gentility from the hands of ANY killer, let alone the phone crazed "billy".

-

Then we have Margot Kidder. Oh my god! The stereotypical loud mouthed vulgar rude arrogant "liberated" modern american woman of the time. No wonder the Killer let her have it in her sleep. Just to keep her views to herself. He waited too long, for my taste, i would have silenced her foul mouth the moment she opened it. Another of my digressions.

-

The film has some disturbing images and scenes. Violence is essential to the story, and therefore, completely acceptable.
Unfortunately the violence in this film gave way to terrible exaggeration in the future aka HALLOWEEN, NIGHTMARE ON ELM ST. and FRIDAY the 13th. Black Christmas should in no way be placed along side those other titles.

The AGFA Digest is PERFECTLY edited. Utilizing the finest in negative material, MARKETING FILMS had been able to capture the horrific pace and tempo of the psychotic killer himself. SHARP and with good color. Like other of Bob Clark's films, the color of the original film had a "murky" quality to it. IT was NOT released with EYE popping blues and reds. The colors were purposely muted and stifled, like so many of the victims screams.
The sound was in german, but, not a difficult thing to re-record, since most of the scenes are long edits to begin with.
When all is said and done, this is a truly disturbing showcase of storytelling. Fortunately, not all stories end happily ever after. That may only serve us as a reminder to appreciate and celebrate every moment. On the other hand, What are you capable of doing? What "black" thoughts and actions lie dormant within you?
 -

|  IP: Logged

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2006 01:31 AM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Robert,

I always seem to learn something by keeping an eye on the forum. I had no idea this picture was on S8 and I too am a fan of the film....for various reasons. If you ever decide to part with it I am your buyer and would pay a decent fee for it. Great review and looking forward to your next one.

LA

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2006 02:45 AM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Lance, All these films are available in Germany. Try my friend Andreas at
http://movies-and-sound.com/
He can find you ANYTHING which was released on super 8 in Germany. He is honest and tells you what you will be receiving before it arrives in your hands. no bad surprises.
YOU WILL LOVE THIS DIGEST!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 21, 2006 08:53 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,

Great review! I'm guessing Lance would want your print because of your re-recording talents.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2006 10:43 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
ME TOO.Andy.

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2006 11:16 AM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, Seriously Guys. IF you purchase these prints and want a re-recording. Send it my way. My nephew (13) is into film now. We have worked out a system where, we made a digital transfer of picture and sound of my original re-recording of a specific title, he than synchronizes and re-records as many prints of that title into Stereo, MONO, or what not. He makes other film collectors happy, he raises some money which goes back into purchasing his prints and the like. We have done this with Earthquake, raiders of the lost ark, war of the worlds 3 x400, SO MANY...all of my films actually. EVEN the PLANET of the APES series. So, dont hesitate to find these due to the german sound. That is a "problem" easily resolved.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 21, 2006 11:35 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, Maybe you should put a list up of all the titles you can re record. [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2006 12:01 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Kev,
Sure. I'll create a list, but where should i post?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 21, 2006 12:24 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,

Kev and I will talk to make sure we agree, but I would think the regular 8mm Forum would be to place for "Robert's Re-recording Services". We'd keep the topic posted near the top.

Doug

--------------------

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2006 12:45 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you think is best. I'm all for it. Anything to help propel the use and appreciation of super 8. I think the English speaking folks are missing out on a plethora of titles from Germany. If i can bridge that gap. AWESOME! I'm for it. I truly have STACKS of German titles i have re-recorded.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 21, 2006 01:27 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, Robert, now if you could find me English soundtracks for two Heckle & Jeckle cartoons I have... they're beautiful prints with German sound, Pirate's Gold and Log Rollers ... as a native German I have no trouble enjoying them of course, but my wife - and any audience I'll cater to in the future, for that matter - is another story. And EVERYTHING ELSE in my collection is in English [Razz]

EDIT, actually that's not entirely true. I do have a 2x400 Piccolo-Film digest of "Aikido - Die fuenf Finger des Todes." Think you can dig up an English soundtrack for that one??

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 21, 2006 01:48 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The next member who has a question/comment about Robert's recordings should start a new topic in the 8mm Forum section. "Black Christmas" review related material here only, please. (I know....I'm as guilty as anyone!) Thanks.

Doug

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 21, 2006 02:30 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Sir, sorry, Sir. Want me to repost my questions in a new topic?...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 21, 2006 04:52 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only if you're done watching the Wu Yu Wei epic! The english version, "Chinese Dragon", appears to have not been released on DVD. Yet.

Doug

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC