8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » BONNIE AND CLYDE UFA 3 X 400 FT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BONNIE AND CLYDE UFA 3 X 400 FT
Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2006 01:43 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

This classic dates back to 1967. Yes. It is a classic.
In the turbulent 1960's,this film fanned the flame of unrest within the Counter culture generation with it's sympathetic approach to the revolutionary characters of Bonnie and Clyde. Although, I feel, regardless of the subject matter. The counter culture would have found an identity with just about ANYTHING. Sad, but true. The very fact it was a romantized fictionalized account of the 1930's Midwest gangsters,was inconsequential to the young of the 60's.

-
I caught this film as a child. I was 7. A perfect age. Not to young as to look away from the violence. Not, to old to reinterpret it for my own agenda. I recall feeling, sympathy for the lost Clyde. He was a man without rituals. A man questioning himself for where is HIS rite of passage? Thus, he created his own. His own laws and rules. UFA did a wonderful job retaining the underlying volatility of our leads "romance". Clydes inability to perform in the romantic capacity,can only lead to impressing his girl with more killings. More risk taking.

-
As for Bonnie Parker. No sense of reality. It's all part of a game. All an illusion based on chance. The very essence of the counter culture mentality, thus, one can see where the identification lies.

-

This UFA digest is edited perfectly. It certainly is one of the BEST edited digests ever. The Picture is SHARP. The colors are not meant to be wave flagging blues reds and whites, no, there is a sepia quality which captures the feel of the dust bowl depression and oppressive era.
The sound is in German of course, BUT, once brought back to it's original English track., amazing! Thank you DIGITAL LASERDISC!

A film should be at best,an artistic expression. Utilizing music, shades of light and the spectrum of colors to stir an audiences emotional palette. No matter how you "interpret' Bonnie and Clyde throughout the film. I have no doubt, you will give a moment of silence to these lost souls at their final end. For what makes a "villain" but sheer circumstance.

[ August 22, 2006, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Robert Aragon ]

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2006 03:56 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Another great review Robert.I see you are using the best sound quailty availble...LASERDISC.Ain't you lucky,because i've yet to hear a DVD to match the old format.Keep up the great work Robert.
P.S I want your scope version of KING KONG(1976).ANDY.

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2006 04:14 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andrew,
As for the Kong 76' i have, it's available. Try Andreas. He can find it for you, no question. If you want to have it re-recorded, I can help you there.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 22, 2006 07:40 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,

Terrific review. In an amazing coincidence, I ordered "Bonnie and Clyde" just a few days ago from Andreas.I also just ordered the DVD online for re-recording purposes. I should just send the film to you!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2006 07:47 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll LOVE the film Douglas. The dvd sound is TRULY WEAK compared to the LAser. THe compression eliminates ANY punch and highs and lows for that matter. But, you'll LOVE IT!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC