8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » ROCKY 3 SUPER 8 OPTICAL SOUND!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ROCKY 3 SUPER 8 OPTICAL SOUND!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 19, 2006 07:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every once in awhile, (and less so these days) I'm suprised as to what shows up on super 8.

What, Rocky 3?!"
YUP!

Needless to say, I bought this right away and I'm happy to give my review.

It begins with the finale of the previous film, with Rocky decimating Apollo Creed, the final punch sending them to the canvas together. The countdown comes to who gets up, and Rocky does so.

Having done so, Rocky moves on with life, but not before having a bout with none other than Hulk Hogan in a wrestling match, (in which Hulk Hogan throws Rocky all over the mat!) Rocky actually manages to win, must to the lack of amusement by Hulk Hogan.

But to happy domesticity. Soon the city is wanting to erect a statute in honor of Rocky. Clubber Lang (played by 80's icon Mr. T) who9 basically calls Rocky a wimp and challenges Rocky. Rocky gives him the challenge and it's off to training.

Rocky doesn't take his training too seriously. Comes the night of the fight and before getting to the ring, Clubber Lang causes a ruckus and during it, Rocky's trainer Mick (played by the always wonderful Burgess Meredith), gets badly hurt, already being a sick old man.

Shaken by his trainers being hurt, Rocky goes to the ring and promptly gets violently beat by Clubber Lang, losing his title. Rocky could care less, as he comes back to his nearly dead trainer, who does die and Rocky grieves for his Mick.

Funerals ensue. Afterwards, Apollo comes to him, asking what has happened, but having the answer as well. It appears that Rocky has lost the eye, his savageness. Apollo will train Rocky for a re-match, but only for a favor to be paid off in the future. Rocky now trains as he never has before, putting his brute force in with the slick skills of an Apoolo Creed as well.

Rocky finally confesses his fears to his wife in a long "exposition scene". This leads to a nice extended training scene.

ROCKY IS READY (YO)

Rocky goes to the ring and confronts the Clubber. The Clubber is completely bewildered by Rocky's improvements. But Rocky throws in a spin. He taunts Clubber, "Is that all you got?" Which makes Clubber all the more pissed. Rocky then pulls out all the stops and beats the living hell out of Clubber.

After the fight, Apollo informs him of the "favor". To simply step into the ring with him privately and have a private bout, because Apollo never liked the way he lost the title.

This leads to the whole end credits (thankfully, as the "Eye of the Tiger" theme song is played all the way thru!)

This is a great crowd pleaser of a film! Thankfully, from what I can see, there is nothing missing from the print, (except for the possible profanity, but I can't remember much).
All the long exposition scenes are not cut from it, but then, this film only ran about one hour and forty minutes, so it could be shown unedited for the most part

This is the kind of film I like to show to "16MM only " crowd, as this print is EXCEPTIONALLY sharp print. Razor sharp!! I'd stack it up to any 16mm print!

The color hasn't faded a shred. I believe that this print may have been manufactured overseas, as there is the slightest "bluishness" to the print, a trait sometimes found in Derann prints as well, but the color is superb!

The sound is a suprisingly clear mono and very loud at that. Strangely enough, there is leader for "part one" and "part two", which is kind of suprising, as this would have been in one spool. I tried to detect the film lab on the leader but couldn't. It did have the three color "YCM" on the leader, but that tells me nothing.

If there was my print of Rocky 3 out there, there must be others, so happy hunting for this awesome film.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2006 09:54 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
Great review! [Smile]
You can't knock the Rock.
Especially this holiday
season Rocky VI is on the way.

Would love to have any of the
Rocky films at home on film.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted September 20, 2006 12:07 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Osi!
So now...everyone...keep your eyes and ears peeled and point me in the right direction if you should ever find this. I love this film.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2006 12:45 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

You may have an "Oil Rig" print, as some of these were optical sound as well as the usual magnetic prints, and as the Oil Rigs used normal projectors, they would have been in roughly 2 equal parts, as I've been led to believe that Elmo 1200' machines were used mostly. Great find though!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 20, 2006 03:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Oil Rig" prints? This is the first I've ever heard of optical sound super 8's on Oil Rigs, but then, they probably don't get into towns often to the movies. It doesn't look like it was ever used, no scratches at all!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2006 01:27 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a copy of this once, the sound wasn't great, but that could have been my old ST1200, lovely print though along with the Lethal Weapon I had.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted September 30, 2006 12:52 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone else has this..or knows where I can find it..please let me know! [Smile]
Thanks!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC