8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 15, 2006 08:48 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having read the "Jaws" review, (and having re-watched this with guests over), I thought I'd review another great digest from Universal 8 (formerly Castle films) :

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!!

This digest runs between 31 or 32 minutes. It was released by Universal 8 in a parts one and two, which should be VERY snuggly fit on one 600ft. reel, (which I did, BARELY FITS)

This was a condensation of the first hour of the original three hour premiere movie, (which was also released to movie theaters as well!) The Story is as follows.

After credits, we zoom in on the Atlantia, where a meeting of the leaders is taking place. They celebrate the peace that has been initiated by Baltar (boo ..... hiss) with the Cylons.

Meanwhile, Apollo and his younger brother Zac (played by Rick Springfield, who would be on General Hospital and later a rock star ... remember "Jessies Girl"?) go out on patrol.

Cut back to the president of the humans and Commander Adama, (the always stoic Lorne Greene) as they discuss Adama's misgivings over this Cylon "Peace"

"Forgive me, Mr. President, but they hate us with every fiber of thier being."

"But through Baltar thay have sued for peace"

Apollo and Zac enter a mysterious space cloud, and find two Cylon tankers, and subsequentially, a whole Cylon attack fleet waiting. Thru some deft maneuvering, they outflank and destroy the first Cylon ships, but see a whole mess of Cylons coming after them, thier cover blown. Apollo and Zac, (who's ship has been hit) Hi-tail it out of there.

Adama, having returned to his ship , the GALACTCA (good guys, yay!) is informed of some irregularities concerning his patrol. He contacts the president, but Baltar convinces the president not to put the attack fleet on alert.

Sadly, Apollo has to leave Zac behind to warn the fleet, "You can fly with me anytime, little brother." He makes it back and contacts his father.

but Zac, alas, is not as fortunate, almost back to the fleet, he is destroyed! The whole Cylon fleet now attacks, and since most of the fleet were not put on the alert, no one was able to launch fighters ...

except for the Galactica'

They fight bravely but are grieviously outnumbered. The president is dumbfounded, and Baltar has dissappeared. The president's ship is given the "death squadron attack" and the Atlantia, and the president and crew are destroyed.

Adama puts one plus one together and realizes that the Cylon tankers were way out here because the Cylon Basestars were needed elsewhere; the home planets of mankind. The Galactica breaks off from the Battle and heads for home.

But too late. Strafing run after strafing run is made by the cylon fighters and the planets are left in ruins, as a tear filled crew of the Galactica watches helplessly on thier moniters. Adama chooses to head down to the planet surface to see if his wife has survived. She did not, and while the survivors are ready to string up and hang Apollo, Adama informs them that everyone who can get to a ship must leave the planets and go with the Galactica to find the last unharmed planet of mankind, "A Shining planet known as .... earth!" Lastly we see Baltar the traitor gloating over the destruction of his own people, informing the Cylons to carry out thier imperious leaders orders for mankind .... extermination! Credits role!

This is an excellent cut down of that first hour of the first three hour premiere, (later cut down to three seperate 45 minute long episodes.) While there is obviously about 10 minutes missing from the first hour episode, it is only the silly junk that has nothing to do with the main plot. Everything is there!

I'm 40, and I remember very fondly sitting in front of the T.V., with my bowl of cereal and watching this when it came out and being mesmerized by it. Next to Star Wars, this was the next best thing. The production values on this first story were above those later seen in the series and done on such a scale that it was quite believeable. The last two hours of this story were more soap opera and I'm very glad that they chose the first hour to do the digest of. As I watched this the other night I was struck by just how good this series looked. At least for T.V., special effects took a big jump up with this series.

As with the other Universal 8 releases, this has a superb quality. The sharpness is outstanding, especially from a T.V. show scource, (they may have used the 35MM masters from the theatrical release of this, but I can't say for sure.)

The colors were quite vibrant and still are, (my copies are on Kodak SP stock), what I found interesting is that I watched the DVD of the original feature, and then I watched the Super 8mm again, and I was struck by how really rich the colors are on this release. Sometimes, color balance on these Super 8 releases, (even with L.P.P. prints) can vary widely, due to bad or great color on the original negative. This one looks quite good.

On a slight note, It was nice to look at this print again, as I was able to see the Universal 8 logo in it's original color. I must admit that most of my Universal 8 prints have varying color, from good to less than good, and so the logo tends to follow suit. This Battlestar was well kept over the years and had absolutely no fade whatsoever, and it's a pleasure to watch.

The sound is good, not the absolute best mono, but certianly passable, it would be a good candadite for re-recording in stereo, as the DVD box set of the series is in glorious stereo and with only slight alterations, almost the whole first 30 minutes is represented here.

Being that they concentrated on the first hour of the three, the flow of this digest is very good, not choppy at all. Whoever did these Universal digests knew thier stuff!

On a side note, Universal released a second two part digest of a later two part (two hour) episode of this series, the super 8 release entitled "Mission Galactica" and I do not have it, but I have heard it is quite good and guest stars Lloyd Bridges as the commander of a long lost Battlestar, the "Pegesus", who rejoins with the Galactica to fight the Cylons.

A very good Universal 8 release!

Long Live Super 8mm

[ November 17, 2007, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Osi Osgood ]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2006 08:37 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review Osi! I am the same age as you and saw this film in Sennsurround as it was released theatrically here in Australia before the show hit TV a few months later. Now I want it on Super 8!

Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack was also released theatrically here before coming to TV. I loved these shows and can't wait to see them again. Thanks for the blast from the past.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 18, 2006 09:01 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a third title in Super 8mm, released only in Germany. I'll check those catalogs......

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 18, 2006 10:35 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oy!

I love this forum. Little did I know that Mission Galactica was released to theaters! That means that the negatives used for these releases were no doubt both from 35mm masters. This would also make sense for the Buck Rogers in the twentieth century, as I believe that this was also released theatrically, and subsequently, on super 8.

I am very curious as to the THIRD release of a Battlestar item on Super 8!!

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2006 11:52 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi-

Thanks for that in-depth review of "Battlestar Gallactica". I also have mine threaded on a very full 600 foot reel.

I also have the 2x400 foot Mission:Galactica. I actually like this one even more. If no one does a review for this one, maybe I'll do one later.

Nick.

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2006 05:25 PM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In North America, one of the two movies ( I'm pretty sure it was Buck Rogers ) was only released theatrically in Canada and not the U.S.

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2006 04:25 AM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

the third title was "Galactica III - Conquest of the Earth", released by Piccolo-Film in a 2x400' version, order numbers 9133/9134. The German title is "Das Ende einer Odysee". You can see the covers here: http://www.super-8-hobby.de/rezent208.htm.

Piccolo also released 2x400'-versions of "Battlestar Galactica" and "Mission Galactica". I don't know if the editing is the same as with the Universal 8 editions, as Piccolo made their own cut-downs of some Universal productions.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2006 07:55 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Galactica III?

I wonder if this is the same as "Galactica 1980" (USA title).

Universal 8 had announced the release of "Galactica 1980" in a 2 x 400 foot version, like the other Galactica movies. But I guess the release was cancelled since that was around the same time that the super 8 sales were in a deep decline.

Nick.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2006 10:36 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buck Rogers was released theatrically here also. Duel hit theatres too, along with The Day After (1983)and others that were only TV in the US.I remember running a special screening of the original Miami Vice in about 1985 on 35mm.

Most TV shows are still shot on 35mm however; Greys Anatomy, CSI, House etc etc. Big budget TV shows in Australia are mostly Super 16mm.

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2006 04:51 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nick,

right, "Galactica III" was a feature edited together from several episodes of "Galactica 1980". Watch the "trivia" section of the following IMDB entry for more information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080559/maindetails

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 19, 2006 06:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember watching this series,"Galactica 1980" in which Boxey is grown and now a fighter pilot, but I really wasn't impressed with it. There was one great episode, "The Return of Starbuck", which told the story of what happened to Starbuck, a very good story. I wish that third release could have been this episode, on super 8.

I wouls still be interested to see this "Galactica 3" on super 8, but it would have to be extremely rare.

I was lucky enough to find my copy of "Battlestar Galactica" on Kodak SP. Whoever owned it must have stored it very well, as the color is perfect to this day. The ironic thing is that the color is better, in many ways, than the color on the DVD's, no kidding. I have heard that some peoples copies have not fared as well.

I also appreciate that these two parters were just the right size to fit on one 600ft. reel. The two parter of Empire Strikes Back is a little too tong to fit on one reel.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 21, 2006 01:33 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All Galactica films were released here theatrically, including the third (really bad) one (remember the cameo by Wolfman Jack ?). The first one was released in Sensurround, it was quite a hit. We had clans at school of Star Wars fans and Galactica fans.
If you get the chance, catch the new series, it's really good.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC