8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Masque of the Red Death

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Masque of the Red Death
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 19, 2006 11:51 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH
Vincent Price, Jane Asher, Hazel Court
Cinemascope, color, 90 mins
Derann, 1600ft

-

Masque of the Red Death is, as far as I know, the only full length Vincent Price Movie available on super 8. Price of course teamed with Director Roger Corman and American International Pictures to produce a whole series of horror films based on the stories of Edgar Alan Poe. Most of these have since become classics of the horror genre. Many of these films are available in digest form on S8, but 'Masque' was the only one printed as a full length CinemaScope feature by Derann, and the film is generally regarded by critics as one of the best of the series, with lavish sets and period costumes.
The story is set back in the Dark Ages, presumably in Italy, where the plague known as the Red Death is sweeping the land. Prince Prospero, played with zest by the inimitable Vincent Price, rules ruthlessly from his castle. Life within the castle is shown to be mainly a persuit of torture for entertainment, lechery and debauchary. Prospero has made a pact with the Devil that he believes will protect him, and all within his castle walls, from the red death. The film reveals Prospero as a ruthless but very intelligent Prince. Also starring in this film are Jane Asher (Paul McArtney's girl friend from the 60's) and the voluptuous Hazel Court. The climax is the Masked Ball where death is revealed and Prospero meets his fate.
The Super 8 Scope print from Derann is on Agfa low fade stock and is generally very good, with rich colors and sharp focus. But much of the film is spent inside Prospero's dark dungeons, or at night, so there are a lot of very dark scenes. The film also shows evidence of quite a lot of repair cutting on the master (loss of one or two frames). Unfortunately, at least on my print, the sound quality was terrible, and I resorted to dubbing from the DVD. This was much harder to do than I anticipated, because there were a few differences in the cutting of the film versus the DVD. But after several hours of frustration I eventually got a superb sound track.
Any Vincent Price film is worth owning, and this one is probably one of Vincent's better AIP/Corman films. A very macabre and disturbing horror film. Definately worth getting just to have Vincent on S8.

Picture Quality: A on bright scenes, B on dark scenes
Occasional repair jumps
Sound Quality: C (at least on my copy)

[ October 20, 2006, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2010 08:14 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ordered this one new last year through Steve Osborne, and was delighted with it. Yes, the pre print seemed to have a few little nicks .....and repairs, but otherwise it still looks pristine.....very sharp with nice color. The sound on my print was rich and full mono. Now, I've been told that the British version was cut somewhat, softened ....and indeed there are missing scenes in this print vs. the U.S. version....which would account for your problems dubbing a new soundtrack. Still...a wonderful lovely print...a pleasure to watch.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC