8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Lady and the Tramp (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lady and the Tramp
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 27, 2006 09:14 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lady and the Tramp
Walt Disney, Color, CinemaScope
90 mins, 1600ft
Available from Derann

-

Lady and the Tramp was Disney's first CinemaScope animated feature film. A charming story about the adventures and romance of a couple of dogs, and their four footed friends, set in an idyllic American small town. The film is sheer joy from the first frame to the last, with the dogs encountering all sorts of characters such as a pair of siamese cats, a beaver, and animals at the zoo. Some of the songs in the film have become classics, such as 'Bella Norte', where Lady and the Tramp are serenaded by Tony and Butch at the Italian restaurant, while nibbling on spaghetti and meat balls! The song 'He's a Tramp', set at a dog pound and sung by Peggy Lee, is hilarious.
Derann's Disney prints are legendary for their superb quality, and this movie is no exception, with needle sharp focus, and bright vibrant colors on every single frame. What is it about Disney films on super 8, that makes them look so much better than on video or DVD? The thing that sets this film apart from all the other Derann Disney releases, is that this is a Cinemascope anamorphic print. And it looks stunning on an 8ft screen. Forget DVD or that 50 ins plasma- this film is made to show on a movie projector on a big screen.
The sound track is recorded in stereo, and it is quite good. But I took the time to re-record my film from the DVD, and got an awesome stereo track with superb spacial effect.

Print: A++ (CinemaScope print, requires 2x anamorphic lens)
Sound: A (SUPPLIED IN STEREO)

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2006 12:59 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funnily enough I only ran this very title a couple of weeks ago when finalizing the next 'history of the package movie' article for 'smallformat'. It is indeed a wonderful print and like many of the Derann Disney releases, knocks spots off your video projected effort.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2006 02:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
There's still life in the old format yet!That is great news and a great view Paul;of disney's classic.Good comments from John too!.
Keep it up guys.This is still the greatest format of them all.Andy.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2006 03:50 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And if you want to see something even better, stick 'Beauty and the Beast' up on the 8mm screen. Then take a look at a DVD of 'Polar Express'. The difference is amazing. Although they must have messed up the transfer of Polar Express in some way. I would have thought a film that was screened at Imax theatres would have been better quality than that.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 28, 2006 04:17 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, it's hard to compare apples and oranges.
Beauty and the Beast is a true classic.
Polar Express is a bad, ugly flick, boring to the extreme, too sweet that it shouldn't be recommended to people suffering from diabetes and featuring characters so alive that the whole bloody thing feels like The Night of the Living Dead Before Christmas. Yuk, yuk, yuk. And I don't blame that on CG... I love CG.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2006 03:39 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
errrrrrrm.

Fair enough [Smile]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 29, 2006 06:10 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Little OT:

There's something about "Polar Express" that makes people either love it or hate it! I've read many opinions of it similar to Jean-Marc's, so even though I loved the thing, I'll have to admit it seems to bother a lot of people.

The CG animation technique is unconventional, and I guess that is part of the whole "Night of the Living Dead" phenomenon. It's basically using the computer to "re-skin" living actors. I've seen the word "creepy" used to describe this movie more than once.

To me the beauty of it really comes out when you see the illustrated book it's based upon. It's as if the pictures have leaped off the page and come to life!

Sacharine? Well, there you've got me! I suppose if this was anything else than a Christmas movie, it probably would be nauseating! It is a sentimental time, and I guess that eases it down!

Last winter, my kid proved that DVDs don't wear out with this one. Good thing I don't mind it: every last frame is seared into my brain!

A Merry, Zombie, Christmas to all! "Brrrraaains....Goooood!!"

PS: Excellent reviews, Paul. Please keep 'em coming!

[ October 29, 2006, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 29, 2006 09:52 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good input, Steve. The technic has been around for a while, and was applied recently with great talent to "Monster House", which I would call a true intelligent family horror film (and it was also produced by Zemekis...)
Sorry for the OT, Paul...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2006 02:17 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

Another great review, I'm tempted to see if Derann still stock this title, maybe an early Christmas present to myself... [Roll Eyes]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2009 05:31 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking to do the same you were thinking about with this classic, Mike. A present to myself (Christmas?).
Excellent review, Paul.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 09, 2009 08:46 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian,
You will be thrilled with this Derann print - one of the best I have ever seen on Super 8. Awesome quality from start to finish, and the film itself is, of course, one of Walt's very best.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2009 10:59 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, how are you?
I was waiting for a used copy. But it is taking so long... So I'll surely buy a brand new one.
Thanks for telling me: a lot of collectors told me the same. Cannot wait to have and screen it.
Take care.

GIAN
[Wink]

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2009 12:46 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Gian Hurry then you have this one before Christmas,i have this one too and i love it so much...... [Wink]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2009 02:48 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I have both Beauty and Lady and they are both excellent prints. I would probably on balance agree also that the Beauty print is slightly better. But then my copy of Aladdin is also quite special.
I was thinking about selling them but I somehow don't think I can despite the fact they may only get one run a year. If I do I will list here first

--------------------
Tony

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2009 06:03 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,

think about me if you decide to sell LADY AND THE TRAMP. I wouldn't buy it brand new (and than having to say 'no' to a used copy, if coming).
Of course ONLY if you decide to do it.

[Wink]
Ciao.

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2009 04:39 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that Tony will sell his Lady and the tramp to you,i know you're searching for it a very long time.
I know this print is in good hands by you,a real seller like me! [Smile]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2009 07:54 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jeroen. Thanks for your wishes. I will let you know!

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2009 06:46 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Tony.
How are you? A friend of mine asked me today if I want his copy of LADY AND THE TRAMP. Considering you were thinking to sell yours, I'd like to know if you still have this idea. If not, I will accept the print that was offered to me. Will you please let me know? Thanks a lot. Take care.

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2009 04:45 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My god!two offers,sometimes you have all the luck!

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2009 08:37 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jeroen. As I wrote in the other post, let's see if Tony will sell his copy. If not, I accept Ago's one. Take care, my dear friend. I hope all is good with you.
Ciao.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 24, 2009 02:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul ...

Could you, perchance, give us a report on the grain, any overly bright sections, difference between definition between daylight and night-time scenes. I know that Derann has been largely reliable in these areas, but I have thought of tracking down this print for some time, and I am curious.

Did you find the sound-stripe to be very good through out what kind of was it? The brown stripe or the dark black stripe? I ask as, if I get one of these, what levels should be planned for the different stripes.

Thanks Paul!

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 24, 2009 03:43 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
The scope print quality is just superb on every reel. There just are not any overly dark are overly light sections anywhere. The day scenes are beautifully bright with rich vivid color, and the night scenes, although obviously more subdued, still seem to show every detail and still with great looking rich color. The whole print is extremely sharp and the color seems to be 'full spectrum' Technicolor throughout - none of that bluish tint that you see on a lot of super 8 prints these days.
The stripe is black/grey. I did a stereo re-record using my trusty Eumig 938 and got a great recording on both tracks, with extraordinary clarity, depth, and separation - you could not wish for better. I did not detect any drop out, even on the balance stripe.
So, at least on my print, Derann got everything absolutely perfect. Watching this print in scope and stereo on a 9ft scope screen is sheer joy, and yes it is better than watching it on projected DVD! [Smile]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 24, 2009 04:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul!

I don't doubt for a moment that it's better off the Derann print.
Though I've always been stunned by optical Super 8's , I have been equally stunned by the Derann prints. I wonder if Super 8 would have still died as it did, in such a dramatic manner, if this quality had been around back then, (as a general rule).

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 24, 2009 04:59 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Super 8 declined because magnetic video was so much cheaper - pure and simple. I do'nt believe picture quality even figured into it, if it had everyone would still be filming on super 8mm. The masses wanted cheap, instant pictures, and PQ took a back seat. As far as film collecting is concerned it was no contest for most people. A full length feature film on VHS tape for $15.00 versus a 20 minute S8 digest for $50.00, or a full length super 8 print for about $300.00.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 24, 2009 06:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True ... quite true. [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC