8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Golddiggers of 1933

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Golddiggers of 1933
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 31, 2006 09:30 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Golddiggers of 1933
Black & White,
2 x400ft double album
Derann

-

In the annals of motion picture musical films the name Busby Berkeley is iconic as the director of the most dazzling extravaganza’s ever put on film. Berkeley rose to fame in 1933 as the choreographer of the lavish musical numbers for the ground breaking film 42nd Street. That film was also responsible for creating an instant dancing star named Ruby Keeler, who starred opposite crooner Dick Powell.
Following the phenomenal success of 42nd Street, Goldiggers of 1933 was immediately put into production by Warner Bros, utilizing the same back stage musical theme, and again with Ruby and Dick as the lead stars. As with most of the Warner 30’s musicals , the story is featherweight, serving merely as a support vehicle for Berkely’s big production numbers, which was what everyone went to see.
Derann’s 2 x 400ft double album perfectly captures the essence of the feature, dispensing almost entirely with the forgettable story line and showing the notable production numbers in their entirety. The film opens with Ginger Rodgers singing the theme song ‘We’re in the Money’, dressed in a gown of glittering coins and a chorus of similar clad beauties. Next we have Powell crooning ‘I’ve got to sing a Torch Song’ to the star struck Ruby and the cigar chomping producer Ned Sparks. The show finally gets into production, with the opening number’ Pettin’ in the Park’ with Ruby and Dick and, in typical Berkeley style, shadowed views of wet nude chorus girls . The second album opens up with the beautiful’ Shadow Waltz’, complete with sixty girls dancing with neon lit violins on huge curving white staircases. The final number is the memorable ‘Forgotten Man’ sung by Joan Blondell and showing the fate of ex-servicemen in the great depression- it makes a real social statement of the times. One of the things I really like about all the Derann edited Berkeley musicals is the way they retained the complete opening title sequences with those nice little cameo shots of the cast.
The Derann print is on black and white film stock. It is one of the best B&W prints I have ever seen, with pin sharp focus, rich blacks, and great contrast. Truly a beautiful print. Sound is good, bearing in mind that this film was made in the early sound era. The films are superbly packaged in plastic clamshell boxes, with great graphics on both front and back covers. The musical numbers in the albums are not quite in the order shown above, but a couple of splices will get things in the correct sequence of the feature film.
Highly recommended for all Berkely musical fans.

Print A
Sound A

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2007 12:02 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

Great review! I bought this film at the weekend at Tadley and am very impressed with it. The original Berkley numbers are great, and so impressive, especially when you take into account the fact that there were no special effects being used in those days - there really were about a million dancing extras!

My copy is still in its original order, as supplied from Derann. I was interested to read that you have re-edited yours into the correct order, did you find that it still flows well? I am thinking about doing the same to mine, but as it is so smoothly edited I'm not sure I want to risk spoiling it.

Like you, I am amazed at how good the print and sound quality are, truely exceptional when you consider this film was made 74 years ago!

Mike [Smile]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2007 03:13 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A great wee flick!My print is a beaut also."Wouldn't it be lovely"....if these old BB films were in colour! [Smile]

--------------------
Trevor

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2007 04:21 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trev

I was thinking the very same thing...

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2007 04:51 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A number of years ago 42nd Street was available on VHS in a computer coloured version , which I have. Its ok but dosent have the sharpness of the B/W version. Ive never been too keen on these colourised versions but its the only way to see what it would have been like in colour. I dont know if any other Busby's were given this treatment.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 16, 2007 06:12 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
You only need a couple of splices to get the numbers in the correct order:
REEL 1 - 'We're in the Money', I've got to sing a Torch Song', 'Pettin' in the Park'

Reel 2 - 'Shadow Waltz' followed by My Forgotten Man'

All you have to do is switch ' Pettin in the Park' from reel 2 to the end of reel 1, and 'Forgotten Man' from reel 1 to the end of reel 2.
Then of course you can splice bothe extracts to a show stopping 800ft reel!
The other Warner/Berkeley digests put out by Derann, are '42nd Street', 'Footlight Parade', 'Dames', and 'Goldiggers of 1935'. These are all excellent, and I shall be posting reviews of them shortly. All really worth getting Mike.

Graham,Trev, Mike,
Colourizing Berkeley's black and white musicals is like vandalizing great art! Berkeleys Warner Musicals are phtographed like Film Noir, with great shadow emphasis- just look at the Shadow Waltz' number!

-

Color would add nothing!- indeed it would subtract. No, these films must be seen in the original black and white. Berkeley made many films at MGM and FOX, that were photograhed in color. They are very impressive, but do not, in my opinion, have the special magic of the old Warner black and white numbers.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2007 05:17 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I DO AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS ONE AND HAVING SEEN THESE MUSICALS AT THE NATIONAL FILM THEATRE IN lONDON ON THE BIG SCREEN IN BLACK AND WHITE THEY LOOK FANTASTIC. I BOUGHT THESE PRINTS FROM DERANN WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT AND CAN CONFIRM THEY ARE FANTASTIC QUALITY PRINTS FOR THE AGE OF RELEASE. AS CONFIRMED THEY ARE EASY TO RE-EDIT WITHOUT ANY LOSS OFF PICTURE AND SOUND. PLEASE DO LOOK OUT FOR THESE RELEASES NOW ON THE SECONDHAND LISTS.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 18, 2007 11:07 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, do any of these Derann "Mini-musicals" have the colour sequences intact? I don't know if these particular titles had colour sequences, but many of these early musicals has two strip technicolor sequences in them originally.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 18, 2007 12:16 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,
No, the Warner Bros/Berkeley musicals were all filmed in black and white. Berkeley did not get to use color until he migrated to MGM and FOX. If you want to see what Buz could do with color, get hold of 'The Gang's All Here' DVD, starring Alice Faye, and watch the 'Tutti-frutti-hat' number with Carmen Miranda. It'll blow you away, and every time you pick up a banana, that number will come back to haunt you! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 28, 2007 11:27 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
These Derann Warners were edited by our very own Keith Wilton if my memory serves me right and a good job he did too [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC