8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Snowman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Snowman
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 04, 2006 06:30 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Derann 1/600ft Stereo
Based on the book by Raymond Briggs
Music by Sinfonia Of London
Directed by Dianne Jackson

Its the story of a young boy living in the country, who upon awaking one morning discovers the fields covered in snow and with enthusiasm he builds a Snowman. Later that evening he goes downstairs and to his amazement as the clock strikes midnight the Snowman comes alive. After inviting the Snowman into his house and after many adventures, both the boy and the Snowman ride a motorcycle through the night over a land covered in snow.

Upon returning home the Snowman decides its time to visit the North Pole and holding onto each other they both fly off. At this point the delightful musical number takes over "Walking In The Air" as they fly over the sea and snow covered land. Landing at the North Pole they are greeted by Santa and all the other Snowmen from different countries, after much fun and meeting Santa's reindeer, Santa presents him with a scarf but its now time to return home. After flying home he says his farewell to the Snowman and goes to sleep, the next morning he rushes downstairs and outside only to find the Snowman has melted away, sadly kneeling down he puts his hand in his pocket, and pulls out the scarf a reminder of the snowman and his journey to the North Pole.

A most delightfull timeless film suitable for all ages excellent print highly recomended. Derann also sold a 200ft stereo extract from this film called "Walking In The Air".

Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 05, 2006 04:19 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just in case anyone is looking for the super 8mm 200ft version of this film one is listed on ebay.
Item number: 230060678124

Happy Christmas folks!

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2006 09:15 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stereo! You lucky devil. I acquired one of Derann's second-hand prints and it's a beauty but unfortunately the track is mono (earlier release).

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2006 09:23 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This would be very easy to re-record to stereo, as it is available in VHS or DVD with a stereo track.

Since the super 8 version isn't edited (the 600 foot one), just match and record!

I think this film is still available from Derann in stereo too.

Nick.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2006 06:36 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was part of one of Derann's film shows at its open day on Sunday-what a treat to see it on the big screen!

--------------------
Yannis

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2006 08:11 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the 600' complete version on Ebay and except for a few light lines it's a beautiful print. It is missing the box however... so I was wondering if anyone could send me a scan of the cover art so I can put it on the blank box it came in. Thanks for any help... Brian

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2006 10:54 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian

Have you got a copy of the cover art yet? If not pm me your email address and I'll zap a scan of mine off to you.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 09, 2006 04:52 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

Would it possible to help Lee out as well, I have been trying unsuccessfully to send him a scanned copy he has asked for over the last few days. Lee could you confirm all this and let me know the outcome sorry about the delay, thanks.

Regards Graham.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2006 04:04 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem, Lee just send me a pm with an email address and I'll send a scan off to you.

Mike [Smile]

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2006 04:23 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Send a scan my way too please Mike.

Come on, where is it?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2006 05:25 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John

Done.

By the way, where's what?

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2007 06:40 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,with a christmas show or two coming up i've just purchased a copy of this and was not disappointed.This is also the stereo version and print quality is superb,gave the kids a premier showing and they loved it.If you can pick up a copy of this it is highly recommended and fun for all...Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 28, 2007 06:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'd love a scan of this cover as well, please?

(Hey, I used the magic word!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 08, 2010 11:12 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just recently got a print of The Snowman from Jean-Marc Tussaint in France. My print is the full length stereo version and the picture quality is very good indeed. The stereo sound is also good, but I think a re-recording would probably be superior, and in this case, with no dialogue, re-recording will be a snap. Barely a mark on the film, it is like a brand new print.
This will definately be up on the bill for my Christmas show this year. Amazingly, very few people in the USA have ever seen this film even though the song is a fixture of the Christmas season.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 02, 2012 04:26 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it would be worth revisiting The Snowman as this year sees the 30th anniversary since this classic piece of animation was made by the aptly named Snowman Enterprises.

Amazingly here in Super 8mm film land we can boast this title became available in its original and complete form with the vocal introduction by Raymond Briggs which was later removed and replaced by the David Bowie voice over for video release. This then makes the Super 8mm film issue rather unique and collectable as it was as the makers intended when it was first screened on channel 4 television way back then. With superb orchestral accompaniment by the London Sinfonia recorded at CTS Studios London and vocal solo by Peter Auty this film in year 2000 was voted 71st as one of the top television films ever produced and who could argue with that as it has proved so popular over the years. Interestingly the film was partly lifted from the book and I say partly as the plot is quite different with the original book not being placed in the Christmas period in 1978 so quite a different film. In later years the film has seen a number of video and DVD issues but with modified opening sequences which personally I think messed with a masterpiece, but thankfully we have the Super 8 film complete and unmolested. Now in the 30th anniversary year I wonder if they will finally release a blu-ray in its original form to celebrate a film which has given so much pleasure to so many? Thanks to Derann Films we were able to own this original issue on film and its content has stood the test of time...

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 02, 2012 05:57 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One problem you avoid watching THE SNOWMAN on Super 8 is the DVD 'widescreen' abominations, which of course means the top and bottome of the image are sliced off!

[ January 02, 2012, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2012 06:01 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with you Lee

I much prefer the original Raymond Briggs intro which is just the right length and fits well as the film goes from live action to animation. On the other hand the David Bowie intro just seems 'false' and mabye overlong. This David Bowie intro was made to sell the film in america but didnt work for me.

And as you mention the new intro has the animated father christmas but it cuts the first few seconds off the snowman film. Nicely animated but not needed. I think this was made for the 20th aniversery. The original intro is the best and nice to have on Deranns excellent print and nice box.

You have to feel sorry for Peter Auty because everyone thinks Aled Jones sang it in the film [Big Grin]

Graham S

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 03, 2012 01:24 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very lovely film and a great example of just how to get the look and feel of the original source material right. I can't imagine how time consuming it must have been to do each and every frame of this film! By the way, I believe the same animation firm also made another acedemy award winning film in roughtly the same style, "The Man Who Planted Trees", also in that colored pencil animation style.

I believe my 600ft print of this film was probably from later in the print run, as there is some negative damage in a few spots, but more than tolerable.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 04, 2012 10:42 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I screened The Snowman again this Christmas, and found that it had lost none of its magic. A timeless film indeed.
I also marvelled at the beauty of the S8 Derann print. I am lucky to have a pristine quality print with re-recorded stereo sound.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 04, 2012 07:33 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul - I don't know of yours was recorded because someonme was unhappy with the sound, but Derann did sell it in both stereo and mono.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 05, 2012 03:57 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fellow Snowmen might also like to have a peep at the dedicated website which is entertaining. www.thesnowman.co.uk I expect many were inspired in the early 1980’s to make a super 8 film based on the snow theme after watching the animated classic I know I was. Something possessed me to go out in blizzard conditions with the super 8 camera to film all things snow covered as I hung onto the camera tripod for dear life at the top of a hill come mountain with what was then a good head of hair blowing completely horizontal. Ah the things we did for art. [Eek!]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC