8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Jungle Book-3x600ft.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Jungle Book-3x600ft.
Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2006 07:53 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello fellow members,Here's my view on this 1967 Disney movie.It was of course the last movie Disney made before his death in dec.66.
Anyway here goes..
We are in the jungles of India;when its silence is broken by the sound of a baby crying.Bagheera,a panther takes the man cub to a family of wolves;there he stays and is raised by them.
The man cub,now named Mowgli,is now a young boy.Bagheera ,however knows that he will have to go back to the man-village.
Both Mowgil and Bagheerahead off;they climb a tree,to settle down
for the night.It's here they meet up with Kaa,the large python.
He tries to make a meal out of the man-cub;but is stooped in his tracks,and ends up in a knot.
The following morning,there's a rummble in the jungle;it's the elephant partol,lead by Col.Hati.As Mowgli tries to join up,Hati will have none of it.
After more argueing,both the man cub and Bagheera,go their own ways.Mowgli,now alone,in the jungle,is sitting by a large tree,
when singing is heard.It's Baloo,the bear;this encounter,leads us into that well known song,The bare nassicities.
As Baloo and Mowgli laze around,the man cub is kidnapped by monkeys,who in turn,take him to meetKing Louis.
Another famous song then follows,I wanna be like you..
After a funny and hell breaks lose sequence in which both Baloo
and Bagheera end up with a black eye each,Bagheera tells Baloo that,Mowgli must go back to the village..or else.
There's so many great points to point out in this feature, before
the end;this is Disney at its best.
The print is very good to excellent;the sound is mono,but clean,i can't recommend this film,highly enough.Outstanding,brillant entertantment.Just buy it,from who else but Derann.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2006 04:50 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Andy, The Jungle Book was my granddaughter's 5th grade class play last week. Very nice and entertaining with good songs. I've never seen the film, but the kids did a great job. [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2006 05:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Joe,you are in for a real treat.It's entertament with a captiol E.Would be enjoyed by anyone from six to ninety-six.Andy.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 20, 2014 01:19 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I have just recently got this print and it was a complete surprise to me that unlike Andrew's, it was recorded in stereo. The recording is the original by Derann and the original box has the stereo label on it. In fact the box still had the original cellophane and price label on it!

The print itself is absolutely gorgeous. Every bit as good as projecting my DVD if not better and of course the soundtrack, being Stereo on brown stripe is also excellent.

I think with these features, on some, during the early years of release, you could choose mono or stereo.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2014 06:05 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a film to cherish.

I had read that Disney is producing new treatments to The Jungle Book and Dumbo.

Disney has cast a young actor to portray Mowgli and Bill Murray as Baloo.

Also on the boards is Dumbo as a live action concept.

Don't ask me how?

Sorry about being the messenger.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 23, 2014 10:53 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I would just mention that this was even a very early Super 8 optical feature as well, however, I'm sure that the Derann print is of higher quality.

A former member of this forum had a print of this optical sound feature. However, sadly, it had begun to fade, as was common for early optical sound super 8 prints to do.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 23, 2014 10:59 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Believe you me, this one is mint! It is like something I purchased from Derann yesterday it is THAT good. Like I said, still has the cellophane and price tag on the outer original Derann feature box, original individual inner boxes (number stamped by Derann) and original Italian reels as always issued by Derann (though they are crap ha ha). Totally as new, the very best, nearest to all round original feature film that I own and could ever own apart from still being sealed.

I have lots of other "as new" Disney prints, but they don't come with all what I stated above and never with cellophane still on the box with original Derann price sticker!

It was like going back in time for me, finding this beauty!

The problem I have with this print is it is too good to project l.o.l. If possible I would like to find a normal one to splice onto one reel to show it start to finish with no break. I simply cannot cut this, it would be sabotage!

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 23, 2014 12:50 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Andrew! Nothing quite like getting a new stunning quality film print. [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 23, 2014 02:14 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul. I am obviously really pleased to finally have this print after searching a very long time for a good one. Seriously though Paul I dont know what I will ever do with it as I cannot watch it in one run. I will probably only ever project one reel at a time and even then it would only ever be on the Bauer if I cant show it as a feature in one run. Still,... a nice problem to have I suppose.

[ August 29, 2014, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC