8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » FRANKENSTEIN-17MINS.B/W..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FRANKENSTEIN-17MINS.B/W..
Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2006 03:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there fellow members.Here is my view on this 1931 classic of the horror world.Anyway here goes...
After the title sequence we see two men doing a little spot of grave robbing.It is of course Dr.Frankenstein(Colin Clive),and his assitant Fritz(Dwight Frye).
They are then seen passsing by a gallow,with a body hanging;Fritz,climbs up,and cuts the rope.Frankenstein then knows that the neck is broken;the brain is useless..we must find another brain...
Fritz breaks into the medical colleage,takes the wrong brain,and scutters off.
A fade then leads us into a large old tower,were everything is now ready for Frankenstein's mad experiment..the creation of life itself.
The wind howls,the storm rages as the body is hauled high up into the ceiling.It's brought back down,and we see a hand moving.
This of course is The monster(Boris Karloff).
It is here that the universal8 editor,does a little soundtrack trick.In a montage of shots there is the main title music.
The monster soon escapes,and meets the little girl by the lake.
He plays with the child,throwing daise heads into the water.
We next see the father carry the lifeless body of his little girl.Soon the rent a mob villeagers are out in force and head off
in search of the creature that did this.
The firey climax is virtully include intact as both Frankenstein and his creation have their final confrotion..
A well edited two reeler,the main theme is here intact.Good print and sound.highly recommend.No horror fan shold be without this one.Excellent.
P.S IT'S thanks to Paul Foster that i got this neat two reeler.

[ December 09, 2006, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Wilson ]

|  IP: Logged

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2006 06:18 PM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well obviously Andrew i had to read this one first [Big Grin]

I to have this U-8 400' edition and it is a wonderful edit with excellent picture and sound and i also highly recommend it.

Only one gripe for me and that is they did not include the scene where we first see the monster as he comes through the door and we get that fantastic close-up of Karloff's face with his eyes half in his eye lids

This one:-  -

But apart from that it's a must have [Big Grin]

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2006 03:00 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
I am with you on that one Peter.Andy.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 14, 2006 06:15 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rather like the camp Bride of Frank. We had this on way back after going to see Gods and Monsters at the Cinema which completed the perfect day.
What a gay day!

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2006 09:09 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,The Frankenstein you seen on Paul Foster's web site,that's the one i got.Andy.

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2006 10:18 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bride Of Frankie is another must have in the series,i enjoyed the 200' silent edition,thought that it was quite well edited.
Now looking for the sound version [Big Grin]

Andrew,i had gathered that you had the one at the top of Paul's list and that was a great price for it.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2006 11:19 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 400' Bride Of Frankenstein has an audio drop-out for about 20 seconds as Clive and Thesiger are walking upstairs and discuss things in the sitting room. Does anybody else's prints have this or am I alone in this one?

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2006 12:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter.Perry's movies has the old 200ft version of BRIDE,if your interested.The price is £8.00.Andy.

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2006 04:42 PM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Andy,do you have a link,i've not looked at that site [Big Grin]

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2006 01:31 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter.Sorry no i dont have a link,but i have their telephone no.
020 8577 1750.Mobile no.079 303 18014.
Their address is 53 CHURCH ROAD,HESTON,MIDDX.TW5 OLU.
The cat. no is 45630.Good luck.Andy.
p.s.Their email is Ian@perry's movies.freeserve.co.uk
Peter,you have a PM.

[ December 17, 2006, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Wilson ]

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2006 06:41 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andy,reply sent [Smile]

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2006 11:46 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the Castle 200ft has that scene in it Peter?.Andy.

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2006 12:14 PM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the U-8 200' silent edition and this scene had been spliced into the film (recorded from the television and looked terrible).

Might be worth picking up an original castle edition to investigate but i don't think it will be on there.

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2006 06:51 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Kimball wrote:-

My 400' Bride Of Frankenstein has an audio drop-out for about 20 seconds as Clive and Thesiger are walking upstairs and discuss things in the sitting room. Does anybody else's prints have this or am I alone in this one?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad, Having now collected "Frankenstein" 400' & "Son Of Frankenstein" 400' i'm on the look out for the "Bride Of Frankenstein" 400' edition to complete the set of Karloff Frankie movies and i'll let you know if there's a sound drop out when i eventually get my hands on it

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2006 07:16 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I now have all the U/8 400' Monster Classics and BRIDE is the only one that has any defects. Before hunting a second one, I want to know it's not in the master. After all, I'm sure if it was and they told Susan Turner about it she probably said "O'h Hell, print it and sell it - collectors won't care they'll be happy with anything - quality isn't important we have shareholders w're accountable to. Pass me my bong." I'll always maintain it was Ms. Turner, and not the price inflate of Silver or Betamax, that ran film collecting into the the crapper.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2006 07:17 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,you've got a P.M.Andy.

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2006 07:42 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many Thanks Andy,Reply back at you [Smile]

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2007 08:59 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,You have a P.M.Andy.

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2007 10:01 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back at you [Wink]

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2008 02:58 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went back and looked at the 200' FRANKENSTEIN not too long ago. What a brilliant cutdown. It sounds like the 400' is solid but perhaps does not take full advantage of the extra space.

Charles Phelps
Junior

- posted November 14, 2008 06:25 AM      Profile for Charles Phelps   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Phelps   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The editing of the FRANKENSTEIN 400' should be pretty good, the heart of it—after Fritz grabs the brain and beginning with the fade in of the tower—is taken from the 200' version. I can't remember at which point the 200' version leaves us for more expanded footage but I believe it is when they arrive at the windmill.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC