8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Once Upon a Mouse (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Once Upon a Mouse
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 16, 2006 02:03 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once Upon a Mouse
Walt Disney
Color, 600ft, 30mins
Derann Films

-

If you can only have one Disney film in your film collection, this is the one to have. This film is a non-stop fast paced 30 minute montage of virtually every Disney film release up until about 1965, the date of this featurette. The editing is brilliant, kind of like the stuff that Chuck Workman does, with the various film clips linking to each other beautifully, so that the whole film flows very well. Included are behind the scenes shots of Walt and his crew, and sequences showing how the various sound effects were added. The film is grouped into segments such as Villains, Hero’s, classical music, chases etc.
The Derann print can only be described as flawless, with needle sharp focus throughout and brilliant saturated colors. If anyone says to you that S8 film cannot beat projected DVD, just show them this film to silence them forever. The mono sound track is excellent.
A must have for any film collection. As Walt says in this film, "Never let us lose sight of the fact that it all began with a mouse".

[ December 17, 2006, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2006 03:21 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Great review there Paul,as always.I wonder what would the price be.Andy.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2006 10:19 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a must for all Disney fans and is unavailable in any other format. I think you'll find it was made in 1981 as there are lots of clips from later productions ("Robin Hood","The Rescuers" etc.) All in all it is well worth seeking out as it is beautifully made, shows the complete history of the Disney studios from the silent era to their later productions and does turn up from time to time on ebay.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 17, 2006 10:35 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
I will double check the date of this release, and change it in my review if necessary. I will rerun the film credits, presumably there is a copywrite note somewhere on the film itself, as there is none on the Derann packaging.
Incidentally, I just checked Derann's web site, and it appears that this movie is still available new from them at 89 pounds.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2006 04:59 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, this film was available in VHS many years ago with a stereo soundtrack that you can use to re-record it. Unfortunaltly I dont have that tape yet.

Thanks for the front cover Paul because I purchased a mint second hand copy at ealing, but it only came in a grey plastic box so I can now print that out and stick it to the box. Thanks

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 18, 2006 04:35 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The good news is that I have this video in Stereo within my own archive of over 2000 recordings. WOW. I did re record my own 8mm print yonks ago and the results were fine. Certainly much better than the orig soundtrack it was shipped with. I also have a digital DVD of this now and love the short....My son...now 22 used to love this title.
Happy days!
PS: It was only available on rental.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 23, 2007 05:23 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
After reading this review at the time, I have since been looking out for a print, I managed to get one through the Derann second hand list a few months ago, the print quality was excellent, however it had a fault with the soundtrack. Garry at Derann very kindly offered to get it re-recorded the end result was brilliant "a big thanks to Derann here" a great film.

Graham. [Smile]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 23, 2007 08:20 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of the handful or so of Derann's 600ft Disney releases this is my favourite. For me it's like having a long version of the excellent Disney release of Mickey's 50th Birthday.

I think John Clancy told me that this was the first release after the problematic Little Mermaid. I believe that a lot of effort went into making sure the Neg etc was spot on for this release.

I wouldn't mind a copy of the stereo soundtrack to rerecord mine. [Wink]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2007 06:51 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got a copy of this superb film from Derann at £30 from their secondhand lists. It looks at Walt Disney's achievements and contains many fast-moving clips, and not just of Mickey, as I imagined. Half-way through, I realised it was stereo, or I think it is anyway. For the money, it's excellent with deep colours and clips well edited and arranged. Produced in the early eighties I think, but not sure who did this 8 mm release. Great for any audience...you can't take your eyes away for a second of the 600ft of film, otherwise you'll miss something. Get it next time you see it! A great celebration of Disney!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 27, 2007 08:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As stated in the other review for this film, I wasn't all that impressed with it, as I have never been much into the digests, (Disney, that is).

The one thing I did notice is that some of the footage used in this release had a slight fade to it, most noticeable in the "Sleeping Beauty" footage, which i was suprised at, being that Disney was using it's own vault footage.

On the plus side, I found the editing of it quite skillful.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 28, 2007 03:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this on 16mm.

--------------------
Maurice

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 29, 2007 02:19 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon
The print I have has only a mono track, Derann very kindly re-recorded for me, to my knowledge the film was only ever released in mono, but in saying that, it is very good, also look out for as Kev has already mentioned is "Mickey's 50th Birthday" 400ft. I bought mine new back in the 70s, and apart from slight fade "not a problem" its excellent great repeatability for any audience.

Graham.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 29, 2007 06:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, "Mickey Mouse: The First 50 years" (I believe that is the Mickey film that was just mentioned.) is an excellent compilation. It was pretty cool that Disney placed in thier some of the Black and White clips, (which, if I remember correctly, Disney didn't do up to that point, that is, Disney studio's themself.

My copy not only has the booklet, but also the little card inside that states : (quote)

" Please note "

Front cover, then opening it, it says ...

" Mickey Mouse appeared in numerous films before the advent of color motion pictures. To provide you with a complete retrospective of Mickey's career, some of that rare black and white footage is included in this film. "

In sepiatone as well!

Cool, the complete package!

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2007 12:22 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once Upon A Mouse" is, to me, one of the best compilation shorts around. I felt that most of the segments were just long enough to give the viewer a feel for the scene or movie (although there were a few that shot by rather quickly).

Theres not a dull moment, and the quality is superb. Thanks for the review Paul!

James.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2007 06:51 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is 600 feet of absolute magic! I have been after this reel for sometime, narrowly missing it many times on various dealers lists. Finally managed to get it yesterday,courtesy of that nice young Mr. Brocklehurst at Derann's Open Day.
I have watched it three times so far and cannot get over the volume of content contained within. The quality of the print is outstanding. I have to say that so many people have recommended this film to me and at last I have it in my collection. I can now do the same recommendation, if you haven't got it, then please get it, you won't be disappointed.
I have brought quite a few "outstanding" films this year, but this has to be the best of the lot. Guess what's going in the Chritsmas show this year ???

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Kevin Wardle
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2009 03:27 PM      Profile for Kevin Wardle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this film and it is stunning one of the best Derann releases! [Wink]

Kevin.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2009 10:07 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of the hundreds of films that I have, I think that "Once Upon a Mouse" is my favorite. It's as sharp as 35MM and content wise it is truly entertaining.

I have five disney features on Super 8 and of the five Peter Pan is the best from the stand point of print quality. Super sharp and a rock steady image.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 20, 2009 12:39 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the stereo sound track on a compilation Disney DVD as I think this release deserves the stereo treatment [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2009 08:36 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Disney released this to DVD as of yet.

When they do, I'm sure it will be remixed to stereo; even though the original cinema release was probably mono.

I believe this was released with The Fox and the Hound.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 12, 2013 07:16 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never tire of watching this film, and it has become one of my most prized film collectibles. It is a constant joy, and an unfailing hit at film shows. The print quality, as many have noted above, is truly exceptional and the color is Technicolor rich and stunning.
When I first wrote this review back in 2006, I included a photo of the Derann box that came with the film. If you go back to the first post you can see that the box is rather boring, just a generic Mickey Mouse. I decided this film deserved some decent box art, so here is my attempt at giving the box a little more pizazz:

-

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 06:48 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Stunning cover Paul, I think you missed your vocation.I'm not a
Disney fan, but Derann certainly pulled out all the stops for the
Disney collector and gave some very nice prints.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 09:25 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your kind comment Hugh. As I have said before, Disney and Derann were a match made in heaven. Most of the S8 Disney's are like looking at 35mm.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 01:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that, though print quality was exceptional on this print, I really didn't like this digest, too many snippets too quickly.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 13, 2013 03:29 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see where you're coming from Osi, but isn't it the same with
all these documentaries, if only that clip was longer, or why wasn't
that bit included. After all,it's just to whet appetites for to watch
the films themselves. Plus, that cover of Paul's would make me
buy the film, and I don't like Disney.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 21, 2013 04:00 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great..any chance of a copy of the cover? [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC