8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Mickey's Memorable Moments! 400ft.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mickey's Memorable Moments! 400ft.
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 29, 2007 01:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why I never bothered with these before, but these Disney digests were quite popular duing Super 8's Golden ages, and, as a general rule, they hold up quite well.

This was a compilation of Five Mickey Mouse Classics. They are:

Magician Mickey
Brave Little tailor
Mickey's Delayed date
Mickey and the Seal
Simple Things

What's nice about this compilation, is that it gives a good retrospect of Mickey's career. One would wish one of his earlier efforts in B/W were available, Disney didn't tend to release many of the Black and Whites, (except in the case of
"Mickey Mouse, his first 50 years", and, in that case, the collection originally came with a printed note disclaimor that some of the scenes were in black and white), and so they start with Magician Mickey, one of the better earlier colour efforts, with an excellent role for Donald, and ranging to Mickey's last theatrical short (during the studio short subject glory days), entitled "The Simple Things."

Being that this is a 400ft reel, each cartoon is an edited version, but does have all the best of each short and very skillfully edited, also including the original title cards for each cartoon as well.

Brave Little Tailor, one of Mickeys best solo efforts, (apart from The Scorcerors Apprentice) is represented here.
Mickey's delayed date is a good example of the evolution of MIckey as, for a short while, his ears moved in perspective and it was a pleasing modern look.

Mickey and the Seal shows how, by this time, Mickey was already a supporting player to Pluto in his own cartoons and had little to do in each cartoon.

The net footage is 339ft. The sound is exceptional mono.
The print quality is also excellent, but then, they were working from Disney's Original negatives. Great contrast/grain, and exceptionally sharp.

Please note: If you should wish to collect this film, if you can, get one of the prints from great Britian as thier prints are on KODAK SP and not the dreaded Eastman stock. The colour holds up fine. It's easy to tell which is which. The British print obviously says, "colour", not "color"

Happy hunting!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 29, 2007 02:22 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi
I agree those digests are good value they never loose there appeal a couple more you might be interested in, are Mickey and His Pals, and Donald Duck Dilema vol 2 not sure if the ones I have are in colour or color [Wink] but great stuff anaway. The full extract of Brave Little Tailor is also available new from Derann and is excellent.
Graham [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC