8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Great Expectations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Great Expectations
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 11, 2007 05:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Cineguild Production / 1946
 -
A scene taken from one of David Lean greatest films where Magwitch "Finlay Currie "confronts Pip "Anthony Wager" in what many consider, one of cinemas best shock effects ever recorded on film.
 -
A very young Jean Simmons, Martita Hunt, and Anthony Wager.

This classic film has been around in Super8 B/W for many years as a full length 6/400ft.feature

Cast John Mills : Pip "grown up"
Valerie Hobson : Estalla "grown up"
Alec Guinness : Herbert Pocket
Bernard Miles : Joe Gargery
Francis L Sullivan : Jaggers
Finley Currie : Magwitch
Martita Hunt : Miss Havisham
Jean Simmons : Estella "a girl"
Anthony Wager : Pip "as a boy"

Great Expectations is the story of young Pip an orphan raised by a married sister and summoned to come "play" at the decaying mansion of eccentric, reclusive Miss Havisham, where he meets and becomes entranced by Estella. Grown up, Pip one day is visited by the lawyer Mr Jaggers who informs Pip that he has come into money from an anonymous benefactor, and must go to London to make his way as a young gentleman of great expectations.

Wrongly assuming that his debt of gratitude lies with Miss Havisham, Pip leaves for the city, where he shares quarters with Herbert Pocket and renews his acquaintance with the now-grown Estella. But his new life in snobbish society is complicated by Magwitch a mysterious stranger who reveals himself as Pip's benefactor, out of gratitude for the night in the graveyard when young Pip brought an intimidating escaped convict food and a file to free him from his irons.

Pip and Pocket try to help Magwitch escape betrayal by an old enemy by rowing him out into the Thames estuary, in an effort to board a steamer but by accident the paddle-wheeled steamer runs down all concerned, Magwitch is seriously injured and with Pip in attendance, dies in prison, after revealing that Estella is actually his daughter. Pip is reunited with his Estella at Miss Havisham's musty home, but unable to prevent the demented old woman's death when a coal from the fireplace ignites her brittle clothes. At the end of the film , Pip discovers that Estella has assumed Miss Havisham's reclusive life in the old house and, with his declaration of love, he rescues her from a similar fate.

A great film the print is good as with the sound the B/W really creates an atmosphere, great direction by David Lean, if you like classic films this is one of the best.

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2007 08:49 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who manufactured the print? I'd love to get my hands on one.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 12, 2007 12:22 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad
I have had two prints over the years the present one is a "DCR" release also Derann were selling new prints as well. I am not sure if anyone else was producing them but there should be plenty around.

Brad if you are into 16mm as well, Derann second hand 16mm list Number 2501 24/01/2007 were selling a excellent print for 199 pound, might sound a lot but well worth it for this type of film hope this is of some help.

Regards Graham.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2007 07:53 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

If you can get a genuine DCR print they were all produced at Rank Film Labs in Denham and were taken from exsisting 16mm internegs, so the quality is excellent.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2007 12:30 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. I'll definitely keep this in mind. The print Derann has for 199P is about 450 USD. My wife would never forgive me for spending that kind of money. She appreciates that I have a hobby, but doesn't understand why I just don't sell everything and invest in a home theatre system. She's probably right, but I guess, for me, it's more of a nostalgia thing. Th elast time I spent a big sum of money was when I spent about 700USD for a bunch of "Smurfs" episodes. Because they aren't yet on DVD, she sort of went along with it. It generally means I agree to sacrifice some other indulgence down the way to make it equal. She's a good voice of reason for me - Thank goodness!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC