8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Calamity Jane – 400ft Promo Reel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calamity Jane – 400ft Promo Reel
Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2007 04:27 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was released by Derann and is basically the “Jane” trailer with the main songs from the film inserted. It starts with a gentleman “town crier” extolling the calamitous virtues of the “Rootin Tootin lady” from Deadwood. This links directly into the “Deadwood Stage” song. Then we meet all of the main characters. We then have the songs “Just blew in from the Windy City”, followed by “Keep it under your hat”.
The extract culminates with “Black Hills of Dakota” and probably the best-known Doris Day song “Secret Love” and the trailer credits.
Most of the musical numbers are intact and complete. The print, I believe was taken from a16mm negative and the quality of the extract reflects that. The colours on my copy have stood up quite well over the years, with very little fade, my print being on polyester stock. There are a few negative marks on the “Windy City” number, but it’s not that bad. The sound is belting on my copy, with a few “pops” on the soundtrack, mainly where the scenes are cut into the trailer. This doesn’t spoil the enjoyment of this fast-paced extract
Overall this is a pleasing 17 minutes of nostalgia and music. It is never going to be as satisfying as watching the full feature, but what extract is? If you don’t own or want the whole film it is worth obtaining as a good memento of an excellent Doris Day musical. When it was released by Derek Simmonds in the late seventies it was a good seller. Also released at the same time, was the 600ft version of “On Moonlight Bay”, but in black and white. This is another great cut-down by DFS and well worth obtaining, if you can find it.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 09, 2007 08:00 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Keith,
I have a print of this entertaining 400 footer. As you say ' Windy City ' is quite heavily scratched on the negative. The best part for me is the end where Doris sings the full length Secret Love .
I would rate the print quality a B. Rather grainy, with weak color saturation. But, as you say, a nice souvenir of Doris and the film.

-

[ March 09, 2007, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC