8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Commando

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Commando
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 05, 2007 05:03 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Commando 1985
Arnold Schwarzenegger
One of the great things about this hobby is that you never stop discovering new things about it. Film collecting seems ever evolving and a new interest within it can often come to pass. This happened with me when my casual interest in actor Arnold Schwarzenegger developed into something of a minor obsession driving all my cine friends bonkers.

Having collected just about everything I could on super 8 there was one title which eluded me, namely Commando starring the action hero of the 80’s and 90’s Arnold Schwarzenegger. Commando was a successful release on super 8 for that inimitable dealership Derann Films some years ago, but the feature itself is hard to find these days. There was nothing left to do than ask the boys at Derann if a new print could be struck. To my surprise they said no problemo, but that’s Derann all over, helpful to the end. After a few weeks patient wait I collected the feature in person at the April 07 Open Day and quickly popped it in the car. Interestingly one collector was keen to find out more about the new print on the latest film stock and the Derann stereo sound stripe. For him and all those interested in this great feature which just about has it all here is my review.

Filmed during 1984 this feature was nominated for two awards and catapulted Arnold Schwarzenegger into super stardom. Nominated for the Saturn Best Special FX you need not ask what they were like. But as with all slightly older titles you need to transport yourself back a few years when FX were done manually and not by super computers and team of mouse pushers.

The story revolves around Colonel Matrix (Schwarzenegger) and his 10 year old daughter who had retired to the country. His little girl gets kidnapped to make certain he will kill the president of a Latin American country to allow the return of a dictator. Typically Arnold will have none of this and certainly turns things around in his direction. His daughter also affects an escape, no doubt taking after her father having learnt a thing or two.

Another strong character is Bennett who now works for free for the bad guys. Bennett is a slightly camp and much loved by fans of the film villain, and Matrix has more than a fun time when he has the final foray at the end of the movie. The movie has lots of action, a little pathos and more than a splattering of great music from James Horner. Incidentally the soundtrack CD can sell on ebay for as much as £60 such is the popularity of the musical score.

Keep an eye open for some relatively unknown stars at that time such as Bill Paxton who has a brief appearance as the Intercept Officer. The movie also has some 50 + gafs or continuity errors if you can spot them. This and all the above have helped Commando reach the top 100 cult films of the 20th Century. One of the most obvious gafs is the Yellow Porche which has been bashed in a chase with Matrix. When Matrix later gets into the car and drives off it does not have a mark on it ! Watch also for the cable holding Sully in the air as Matrix is about to drop him over a cliff.

Away from all the fun elements of Commando and the special interest it has generated over the years it is nevertheless an exceptional piece of 80’s entertainment and repeatable, which is the important factor with film collecting. The film upon release was heavily cut for some countries, and the likes of Sweden chopped 15 minutes of action from the movie. Thankfully the super 8mm feature is complete and the negative that was used to produce the new 2007 prints is also in great shape courtesy of Derann.

I would also like to praise the work of the British laboratory. They have produced a top notch super 8mm print which gets 10 out of 10 from me and the first audience of film collectors I screened it to here. The print is sharp and the stereo sound also complements the print quality. Supplied of 3 600ft reels one of which is very full indeed it is a highly collectable title and available from Derann Films now. I had seen one of the early prints some years ago and have to confess I like the colours much more on this latest incarnation. I suppose I could go as far as to say we could even call it a special edition?

Can I close by thanking Derann for giving us the opportunity of owning Commando, and perhaps I should also pay tribute to Derek Simmonds who instigated its super 8 release all those years ago. Thank you so very much for a superb print which is going to bring me hours, nay years of pleasure and worth every penny.
3X600ft reels Colour/Stereo Sound.

PS: Later this year I hear a new super 8 Arnold Schwarzenegger title will become available so watch the Forum for more news of this.

|  IP: Logged

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2007 01:13 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this title years ago and have to agree the print was stunning and the stereo track too.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2007 02:19 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee

Great review. It's good to be reminded that there are still so many great feature films avavilable new from Derann...

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2007 11:57 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee-

Enjoyed your great review! I was actually working in a movie theater when this came out, and I remember NEVER getting tired of it. There's so much happening all the time. And Arnold, as well as his supporting cast, are highly entertaining. Especially good were Rae Dawn Chong as Cindy, and David Patrick Kelly as henchman Sully.

A great super 8 release to own because its so repeatable. I may have to put this on my list to buy [Wink] .

James.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC