8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Raiders of the Lost Ark (1X400) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1X400)
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 06, 2007 05:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a review of the 1X400 Marketing version of the classic feature. This has been, of course, released as a scope feature on Super 8, bujt this was a very popular release on Super 8, as well as one of Marketing Films last digests, (it might have been the last, in fact.

The digest begins with some very abbreviated credits, which is to be expected, which brings us to entering the cave, insearch of the golden idol. There's the wonderful gory shot of Indy putting up his hand into the shaft of light, which reveals the boobytrap and the last person to try to get thru.
We then go to the main temple, where Indy tests the floor, a well directed arrow hitting Indy's test stick.

"Stay here."
"If you insist senor!"

He grabs the idol, but accidentily sets off the bobbytrap. he dodges arrows to get out. he gets to the trench, where his partner screws him over, but not for long, as his partner is caught in the earlier boobytrap. Indy is then chased by the infamous giant boulder, but to only fall into Belloqes trap.
He does escape that sucessfully.

We switch to Indy's college, where he explains what the ark is and finds out that the Hitler is after the ark and that they've found the town where the ark was hidden, but they haven't found the actual arks site.

Indy is on the trail! We jump to the scene where Marion is kidnapped by the German, (as well as the classic Sword vs. Gun scene, priceless, worth the price of the digest itself!), oh, by the way, Indy wins, (duh). This scene ends with Indy thinking Marion has been killed in the exploding truck.

This has an incredibly well done edit where Indy accidentally walks into a tent to find Marion alive and tied up in a tent, fade out. We immediately are brought to the scene where Salla informs Indy, (within the tent, but much later in the film, another great peace of editing!) that the ark has been put on a truck.

This leads to the wonderful scene of Indy chasing after the ark in the truck, first horse, then on the truck. Indy gets the ark, for the moment ...

This now leads to the scene where the germans get back the ark on the boat and arrive at thier Island destination, where the german official makes known his displeasure with the Jewish ceremony to open it the ark.

Belloqe "Would you rather open the ark before your Fufher, only then knowing if you have the one, true ark?"

This leads to almost the whole last special effects scene, Indy capturesd and tied to the same pole as Marion. They open the ark, the amazing circling spirits killing left and right, the lightning/fire killing every German in site and the wonderful melting heads and bursting skulls! (TOTALLY COOL!!!!!) The scene ends with the two of them (Indy and Marion) realizing that thier ropes/bonds have been burned away and that they are still alive. They look at the ark, hand in hand and thus ends the digest. It ends with a short end title.

This was an EXTREMELY well edited digest and certianly ranks with the best edited digests. Every great scene, (except the brawl in Marions bar) is here, and yet the flow of this digest is so good. I was EXTREMELY impressed as to how they combined the Marion killed scene/Indy walking into the tent and finding Marion alive/Salla, Indy and Marion in another tent and having the explanation of the ark all cemented together, which works PERFECTLY! HELL!! I'd love to meet the man who edited this digest!!

This digest was "marketed" on Agfa stock, and the colour is completely perfect, not a shred of colour loss! The sound is also incredibly good.

If I remember correctly, the package design won awards, and it's easy to see why, a very attractive box with a great painted image of Indy and Marion, (or is it Marian?), with great images on the back as well, but then Marketing films were always very good about thier boxes.

It is also of note that this is in Letterbox/adapted scope, and though letterbox, the print is very sharp, not Derann sharp, but still right up there. It's not the full scope width, but fine as it is.

This digest is a winner in every aspect and well worth picking up, even if you have the scope feature.

LONG LIVE INDY!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2007 05:21 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review Osi,this is one of my favourite digests and well worth a look.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 06, 2007 06:49 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Thanks for the review. I remember Barry Atwood posting that this was the last digest put out by Marketing when it had offices in New York. I wonder if it's one of the last major digest releases from the peak of Super 8mm in the early 80's.

The color of my print is beautiful, the audio is great but the definition is absolutely on the soft side. I don't know where Marketing got that "The End" title from, but it doesn't fit in. If only they could've worked in that warehouse shot.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 06, 2007 06:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Doug, though the sharpness of my print is pretty good, strange. I also agree about the "The End" title, though to fit in that last bit might have taken about another 50ft. of film to give us the warehouse and how it got in there. Still an amazingly good digest.

Your other question is interesting. I wonder of this was the very last digest from the "Golden Period"?

--------------------

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2007 07:06 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi OSI and DOUG.Yes you are correct.This was the last of super8,as
far as Marketing was concerned.They destroyed their negs.sortly after that.Around1981!.Andy.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 06, 2007 11:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they have to contractually destroy thier negatives?

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 07, 2007 12:05 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,

I love this digest too, it is on my rewatchable list.

Regarding the stock mine is on Kodak SP as stated on the marketing box/inner side. (Please check your box Odi, I think it will say "printed on Kodak poplyster based", so how could you say that yours on AGFA? Later KOdak SP is as beautiful as LPP)

About the release, what about 3 parter Star Wars, which one was the last? Andreas once mentioned here that this title could be the last 8mm in International market but not in Germany (their headquarter). But I am not sure what title will be the last one released by Marketing.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 07, 2007 04:37 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I too have a copy of this print and mine is also on AGFA stock. Looks like the lab Marketing were using towards the end were using AGFA stock. Because of this the spool is very full.

-

Note the stereo sticker on the box. Yes my copy has a brilliant stereo soundtrack.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2007 06:03 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, my favourite movie of all time. Great review [Smile]

I've gotten all excited about posting my first pictures on another thread this morning, so here's a home-made cover for the feature version of Raiders. The bit at the left side is designed to wrap around the spine of a standard Derann cardboard feature box...

-

Stunning stereo sound on my copy is courtesy of the incredibly generous / talented / co-forum member Mr. John Clancy.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2007 09:46 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Great review there OSI.Kevin was your copy German?I too have this release but its in mono.Like the cover there Rob;very nice!.Andy.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 07, 2007 10:57 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While my box says "A Kodak based Stock" (doesn't say which stock), the actual film says "AG1S" , which I'm assuming is agfa. Kevin, you say yours is in stereo? My box doesn't say stereo, and I'm betting it's mono. So, are we to say that Marketing did the stereo themselves?

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 07, 2007 05:37 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another great cover, Rob.

My digest print is also in stereo, as is my print of the feature.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 07, 2007 05:51 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
OSI, AG1S is AGFA 1S. Thats the same stock mine is on.
I don't know who did the stereo for my copy but yes it is a German print as I think all were produced in Germany for Europe.
The stereo is really good and if it was done by a private individual you wouldn't know it was the case. There are no stops or starts in the sound and full sync is maintained all the way through.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 07, 2007 08:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rob,

If I ever secure a copy of this on Super 8 (feature/scope), I will definitely go to you for the cover. That is a very well manufactured homemade cover. Good job!

I did something similar with my feature print of "Alien", as the 400 ft. Digest had those slip covers that you could easily take out. I then took those front and back covers and glued them to the top and bottom of the box. Sorry I don't have any way of posting that on the internet.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 08, 2007 02:00 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job, Rob.

I've always been amazed by the quality of that digest. I retracked it into French to sell it and the projected super 8 image and the video, when viewed side by side, had the same colours.

I have the feature in 16mm (scope) now. The quality is so crisp it nearly feels like 35mm.

[ April 08, 2007, 03:55 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2007 03:14 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a tale about "Raiders of the Lost Ark". When it was originally brought into the UK by Derann, I had it pre-orderd. I received a phone call from Derek on the Friday afternoon to tell me that they arrived, so I immediatley went to collect it. When I arrived at the shop, Derek opened the carton of 50 films, in front of me, and said "Take one" - I didn't take one from the top, but one from the second layer down". I then "hot footed" home and after the evening meal put it on the GS800. [Big Grin]
IT WAS OUT OF SYNC BIG TIME!!!!. [Mad]
I returned to the shop at 9.00am the following Saturday morning, to be told that all of that consignment had been sold and despatched, due to pre-orders. Derek didn't even retain one for their lending library, otherwise he would have re-recorded it for me, from that. [Mad]
A week later, I exchanged my "faulty" copy for one out of the next batch. [Big Grin] When I asked Derek "how many faulty films he had received back - he said "NON AT ALL!!"
How about that for bad luck? My choice of film - a one in fifty choice and I pick the "faulty" one. [Confused] Just shows my luck!! [Confused] [Confused]
SUPERB DIGEST NEVERTHELESS. Happy Easter All [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2007 04:27 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi

Great review!

It inspired me to check out the reviews in “Movie Maker” and “Super Eight Film Collector” from when it was first released. It seems that both the editing and the packaging were debated then too.

Keith Wilton in Super Eight Film Collector:

quote:
The editing on this release is rumoured to have been taken over by either Lucas or Spielburg, they were supposed to have been unhappy with the editing done in Germany, I don’t know if it is true or not…
Bill Davison in Movie Maker, October 1982:

quote:
…the Lucas Organisation were said to be first unhappy with the packaging artwork, then the editing of the condensation itself. The former I find odd because Marketings presentation in my opinion has always been exemplary; the latter I can understand, as their editing has often been crude to say the least. So after all these hold-ups, the film has eventually arrived – and it’s a corker! Well worth the wait and possibly the best release ever to come from Marketing…

…all in all it is tremendous 17 minutes of superb entertainment; certainly the best 400ft condensation I have viewed in ages!

I have to say, being a lover of packaging I think it’s probably the best looking box on the shelf, the film itself is great – and very re-watchable!

Mike [Smile]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2007 07:20 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.I heard that too Mike;that speilberg demaned to see the 400ft himself;and he wasn't happy with it at all.Three out of four set pieces isn't bad.A very good cut down.Andy.
P.S.MIKE yuve got a pm.

[ April 08, 2007, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Wilson ]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 08, 2007 02:42 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone on the Forum ever gets to meet Mr Speilberg, perhaps they could get him to autograph the 'Raiders' box and ask him if the story regarding the editing is true. It would be fascinating to know.

I can remember seeing the release prominently displayed in the window of Portland Films in Shaftsbury Avenue when it came out. As the delay meant that there was very little coming out of Super 8 at the time, it was a welcome sight - although sad in the sense that it was clear it would represent the end of an era.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 08, 2007 03:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but what an end to an era. It wasn't the complete end, however.

After all, Disney would continue to release super 8 for the early 80's. It's not sure, but Blackhawk was releasing product at least thru the mid-80's albeit, in a more limited manner.

I think that when we speak of the "end of an era" would have to be limited to non U.K. countries, as I believe Derann, as well as other companies in the U.K. continued to release new product all along, which could be verified by our friends over on the U.K. side of the pond.

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2007 07:59 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Douglas.....my print was ordered new when it came out and I was majorly disappointed in it. The focus was very soft....t he contrast was not good, especialliy in the market sequence.....people looked like dark shadows against the bright background......the sound was merely ok. I ran it twice and it has never been taken out again...it's one of those prints I'd have to apologize to the audience for...so it has remained in the graveyard of inferior prints. I was especially disappointed because I had several o ther Marketing films....and was very pleased. In fact I just got the 8 reel feature of Death on the Nile, which is very nice and has held its color well.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 09, 2007 10:59 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that your print was defective, or just a bad batch, as my print has a pretty good focus and stunning colour, as well as pretty decent contrast. I wouldn't mind getting a new copy of this print as , while mine is in good shape, it came to me with two splices at the beginning of the print.

The only irritating thing to the print, (and this was also a problem with Universal 8 prints as well) is that, in order to show most of the beginning credits, they have to cut and cut and cut, which means the action behind the credits looks very jerky and is quite annoying. This was also a fault with Universal 8. I would much rather see a fade in/out of the main title, the digest, and then during whatever end credits, place them there.

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2007 01:04 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Titles are an area where editors/producers are cursed either way they go. Some viewers insist on the original credits..even if truncated. Others would like all the credits ..in whatever form....such as in some of the Castle films...which superimpose their own titles over a piece of the action of the film, in many cases, such as Bride of Frankenstein on reeler, duplicating the look of the original titles. Either way , you've to to show em quick or you've wasted a fifth of your 17 minutes...and then folks like me would gripe about that , too.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 09, 2007 03:52 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost certain that 'Raiders' appeared after the final Disney release. 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice' must have either been the last, or very close to their last, and I recall buying this, in 1981 at the latest, some time before 'Raiders' appeared. (I'd only started collecting a few months previously, so it was my first 'full price' one reeler).
When I say "the end of an era", I mean the era of mass-market 400' digests that offer an edited version of a complete feature. Although digests later returned, mostly in the form of 600' Derann releases, I think it would be true to say that no distributor has attempted to broadly tell the story of a feature in a 400' release since 'Raiders'.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 09, 2007 04:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Adrian, it was an end of an era, speaking in that nature.

When did Disneys "Masterworks" come out? I always thought that these were the last. I'm assuming this only because I bought them in a San Francisco department store in 1984, but they may have been sitting around for a long time, for all I know.

I believe that there were three titles in this series:

The Old Mill
The band Concert
The Ugly Duckling

These were noticeable in that they were the original FULL LENGTH
shorts, which ran 8.75 minutes up over 9 minutes, (in the case of "The band Concert"), and the colour on these have held up really well.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC