8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Footlight Parade

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Footlight Parade
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 17, 2007 12:49 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Footlight Parade (1934)
Warner Bros, Black & White
Derann 2 x 400ft Double Album

-

After the success of 42nd Street and Goldiggers of 1933 Warner Brothers moved right on to the next , and arguably most opulent, of the series, Footlight Parade . Like it’s predecessors, this film is yet another backstage musical, starring the now well established Ruby Keeler and her crooning love interest Dick Powell. But Footlight Parade benefits immensely by the lead role presence of James Cagney, and his own love interest, the blousy Joan Blondell.
The film deals with a form of entertainment that flourished for a few years in the late 1920’s and then died out – the production of theatrical prologues, or short stage musicals, that preceded the showing of motion pictures in the major movie theaters. Cagney, is Chester Kent, the producer of these prologues, who is absorbed with putting out a stream of prologues on a weekly basis, that will trump rival prologue producers. Blondell suspects that they have a spy among them, who is stealing all their ideas for the rival producers, so at one point Cagney quarantines the entire company , with everyone eating and sleeping within his sight! Throughout the film Cagney is his usual charming, frenetic self, delivering lines like a machine gun, and draining the energy of his stressed out producer, Frank McHugh! As usual in these types of films, the storyline is pretty light, and are just a prop for Busby Berkeley’s knockout production numbers. The finale of the film is when, in one incredible evening, Cagney and his company, race around theaters in New York staging blockbuster productions at each one in succession!

Derann’s 2 x 400ft double album is beautifully edited, minimizing the story line and focusing on Berkeley’s numbers, which are presented pretty well in their entirety with just minor trimming, and in the correct order too. So you don't have to do any cutting, just join reel 2 onto reel 1, if you wish to show the whole thing on a 45 minute 800ft reel.
Reel 1 includes Ruby dressed up as a cat singing Sitting on a Backyard Fence with Frank McHugh, and ends up with the rather suggestive Honeymoon Hotel , where Ruby and Dick check in on their honeymoon into a hotel apparently frequented by lots of girls in low cut pajamas! Reel 2 opens up with the staggering By a Waterfall number, where Berkely pulls out all the stops in a fantastic aquacade of one hundred girls, led by Ruby Keeler, performing intricate kaleidoscopic patterns in a huge black water pool surrounded by fountains of water. This number, lasting almost 10 minutes, is absolutely jaw dropping, more so if you are seeing it for the first time, climaxing in a huge rotating human fountain of beautiful girls in diamond encrusted swim suits – and is now one of the iconic images of the 1930’s film period. The final number is Shanghai Lil , where Cagney enters a Shanghai saloon searching for his girlfriend Lil who literally pops up, in the form of Ruby Keeler complete with slant eyes and a jet black wig , out of a beer barrel! This leads to the highlight of this number, when Ruby and Cagney tap out the song on top of the saloon’s bar. This number closes out the film with one of Berkeley’s typical military style parades.

Print quality is good, not quite up to the exceptional standard of Golddiggers of 1933, but still very acceptable, with generally sharp focus and good contrast in most of the scenes. A few of the scenes, particularly at the beginning of real 1, seem a little too light. Sound level is fine and good, particularly considering the age of the material. The film comes in two superb plastic clamshell boxes, with really beautiful front and back graphics. Clearly Derann decided to give these great Warner musicals the kind of care in editing, and exceptional packaging they deserve.

Highly Recommended
Print B+
Sound B

[ April 17, 2007, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2007 05:12 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent review Paul. My favourite is 'By a waterfall'. Its a shame when it comes to an end so I project the reel again. I could watch that song for ever.

I too have noticed that footlight (and Dames) is not quite as sharp as Goldiggers of 1933. Was the master material Derann had not as good?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 18, 2007 10:58 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You certianly have a fondness for the early musicals, Paul. I must admit I was never keen on musicals, except for "Singing in the Rain", (which appeals to my love of film history), but a nice review, just the same.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 18, 2007 12:29 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,
Yes I really do like the musicals, they have a very special kind of film magic for me. Next favourite genres are film noir and westerns. The thing about the musicals is that they are very repeatable, which makes them ideal for S8 digests, plus you can enjoy any particular musical number as a stand alone item. Some people (like John Clancy) hate musicals - it's an aquired taste.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 19, 2007 11:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul
Excellent review, you cant beat a good musical on Super8 we have been lucky over the years with such films as the Scope version of "The Sound Of Music", one of my favourite digests had the number "A Couple Of Swells" with Judy Garland and Fred Astaire from Easter Parade, sadly this digest has faded. I have on both Super8 and 16mm, prints of "Thats Entertainment" one good thing about DVD and video projection is that many titles have now been remastered with a 5:1 soundtrack, such as the musical "Oliver", a few years ago we had a convention here and part of the programme was a selection of complete numbers from a private collector who had extracts from such films as "Annie Get Your Gun" all on 35mm, projected at a local cinema, everone enjoyed it, looked and sounded great on the large screen.

Graham.

Jeff Taylor
Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2007 10:23 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't expect perfect quality on Footlight Parade as the camera negative was lost in a fire years ago. All current materials on this title are generations away.

--------------------
Jeff

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 02, 2007 12:49 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having just aquired 'The Busby Berkeley Collection' six disc DVD, we watched the 'Footlight Parade' DVD last night. The thing that struck me the most was how, in comparison, the Derann Super 8mm double album digest really captures the best , and most relevant, parts of the film with no loss of the story line. Every bit as enjoyable as the full feature, perhaps more so. What a great editing job!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2007 02:17 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Footlight Parade is featured
at Disney's MGM Studio Park
in the Walt Disney World Resort
in Florida.

If you ever plan a trip, please do not
miss any of the parks in Walt Disney World.

At the MGM park is a magnificent
attraction: The Great Movie Ride.

The exterior is the famous
Hollywood landmark: Mann's Chinese Theatre,
with impeccable detail. The front courtyard
has famous celebrity hand prints
in cement that had visited.
Inside are famous movie costumes
and props.

As the cue advances to inside the auditorium,
there are trailers of classic films
projected on the screen. They all represent
films that you will encounter on the ride.
The best part is that Disney is still using Film
on 35mm projectors.

The first presentation is Footlight Parade.

There is also:
Singin' in the Rain,
Mary Poppins,
The Searchers with John Wayne
looking over at Clint Eastwood,
Cagney in a Gangster shoot out,
Casablanca,
Raiders of the Lost Arc,
Alien,
The Wizard of Oz
and probably more that I forgot.

It all ends with the screen opening
with a multitude of classic images
montaged together.

For a movie lover, it is a
wonderful experience, with
the animation brought to life.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 03, 2007 08:24 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I think that these were edited for Derann by our very own Mr K Wilton. Oh why does he not contribute on here.

I think JC and I will have to knock him into gear and get him to regularly visit the forum [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 03, 2007 06:09 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be great Kev, Keith could have a great input on this forum.
Funny thing about the Berkeley musicals - those Warren/Dubin songs get drilled into your head. My wife has been going around whistling 'Honeymoon Hotel' all day! [Smile]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 04, 2007 06:15 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
He is a member but never seems to have the time to contribute with all the other stuff he does like writing for FFTC and organising the BFCC.....shame [Frown]
But then which would we prefer him to do?....I know all of them!

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jeff Taylor
Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2007 09:36 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the Derann "Footlight Parade", but you should be aware that the pre-print on this title is especially problematic. Warners lost the OCN in a fire many years ago, and the original fine grains are also shot, leaving them to cobble together printing materials from a variety of less than optimal sources. I've given up trying to find a really acceptable 16mm print myself.

--------------------
Jeff

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2007 04:30 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,

You never know when the one
print that you are searching
for, will then land in your hands.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC