8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Off the Dole 1935

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Off the Dole 1935
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 18, 2007 05:28 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OFF THE DOLE 1935
Now we are delving back into the archive. For as long as I can remember I have enjoyed the comedy films of the great British film, stage and TV star George Formby. It’s no coincidence then that of the three super 8mm features to appear I have chosen to review Off the Dole.

This feature was issued by Derann Films around 1978 if memory serves me right and the issue was fairly limited. It was the second sound feature in which George was to star after making Boots Boots filmed over a garage for the princely sum of £5000.00. After the astounding success of this ultra low budget movie George Formby and his illustrious wife Beryl made Off the Dole at Manchunian Studios UK. This was in fact a converted Church which turned out many Northern comedy films featuring local talent such as Norman Evans (over the garden wall), and Frank Randle who also put up much of the cash for the later productions.

Off the Dole follows the life of John Willie as he struggles to find a job, or rather does not actually want one but prefers life on the dole. George Formby built a carer in comedy films within the UK and sang comedy songs while strumming away at a ukulele banjo. On the uke he perfected a special strumming technique which he received his first lesson from Ukelele Ike. (Cliff Edwards). I learned this information for George’s mother as I did get to meet her a couple of times when I myself was on the stage and my agent arranged the meets. She had a photo of George on her sideboard, and although she was blind could walk to it and say this was a photo of her George. A proud mother.

No coincidence then that one of the films many songs was, I’m Going to stick to my mother. But in this film as with his first sound movie he appears with his wife and general factotum Beryl Formby. She was in fact his manager and spearheaded his carer throughout his life, and I think it fair to say he would have not got so far without her. In this film George lands the job as a detective thanks to his uncle who is going away. George later finds himself in a nudist camp and by the end of the film sings some hit songs including I kept my Ukelele in my hand. Get it?

Technically Off the Dole was a nightmare from the outset. Being filmed over a garage off Regent Street where the director had to press a button to tell the mechanics to stop work for the sound filming must have been hard going. But the film although corny today is sort of nostalgic and does capture what must have been an exciting time for independent film pioneers in the UK during the early 30’s. Derann did make a few cuts to the master for this 8mm 4X400ft release and this included the extended dole office sequence and another where a villain character is more established.

Printed on genuine black and white stock of the day and with magnetic sound from a 35mm nitrate master its pure nostalgia. If you are not a George Formby fan you will find it all hard going, but it is these days a hard one to locate and is something of a vintage collector’s item.

Off the Dole is raw George Formby and his last low budget movie before he was snapped up by Ealing Studios to star in No Limit as a TT rider. In later years Ealing dropped George and he moved to Columbia to make a series of by comparison poor quality comedy flicks with directors who did not understand the Formby of old. Times had moved on and it was the end of an era. But Off the Dole is watch able today and thanks to Derann yet again it is still able to be enjoyed on Super 8 thanks to Derek Simmonds. Derek was also a keen Formby fan and I remember chatting to him about future releases even all those years ago. Ah those were the days…

Others to look out for: No Limit 4X400- Spare a Copper 4X400- Solo Performance 400ft – Golden Uke 200ft and Ukelele Man 200ft. Derann.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 18, 2007 06:35 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing like reading a review written by someone who has not only a sincere love for a subject, but has an extensive
background information on the sunject.

Excellent review Lee. How old are you, as you had the chance to talk to those who knew Formby. Were you in comedy during your "acting" years?

Anyhow, you have interested someone who would not have really known Formby. Good job!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 18, 2007 07:00 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not so old as you may think my friend..

[ August 26, 2011, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 18, 2007 07:04 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off the Dole and what a great old movie from Derann..

[ August 26, 2011, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 19, 2007 12:07 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Freaking Aye!! I've got Bugsy Malone, (super 8 optical sound), I'll have to look at the credits, unless you went by another "stage" name at the time!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC