8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Battle Hell - Forgotten Classic War Film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Battle Hell - Forgotten Classic War Film
Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2007 01:03 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of British Cinema’s lesser-known classics. The film was also released as “The Battle of the Amethyst” and “The Yangtze Incident”. Made in 1956 and directed by Michael Anderson, produced by Herbert Wilcox.
The story takes place in 1949, when a Royal Navy frigate, HMS Amethyst, sailed up the great Yangtze River, from Shanghai to deliver supplies to the British Embassy in the Red Chinese capital of Nanking. Suddenly without any warning, the Red Chinese gun batteries on the shore open fire on the British frigate and after a heavy engagement, the ship lies grounded in the mud and is badly damaged. A large proportion of her crew, including her Captain, lie dead, dying or seriously wounded, whilst others deteriorate from the tropical heat and the lack of essential medicines. The local Communist commander Colonel Peng (Akim Tamiroff) is adamant, either accept criminal responsibility for the entire incident, or the ship and crew will remain his prisoners! Richard Todd stars as Lieutenant Commander J.S. Kerans. He is flown in to take command of the ship.
Richard Todd, (who actually served as a paratrooper on D-Day and played that role in “The Longest Day”) plays the role with the authority he often gave to many similar roles (like Guy Gibson in the Dam Busters).
William Hartnell, the original Doctor Who, plays a Leading Seaman and gives good support to Todd’s character. The only character that is poorly portrayed is the Chinese Colonel.Akim Tamiroff played this part, is an obviously made up non-Chinese actor.
There are lots of, then unknown British actors in this film. Sam Kydd, Barry Foster, Bernard Cribbins and Ian Bannen, are a few names that spring to mind. Also Keye Luke (remember him in Kung Fu – as the blind monk - Ah Glasshopper!!) plays a Chinese captain.
The action scenes are very realistic and convey the sense of uncertainty that must have occurred during all naval engagements.The film has a "documentary" style to it very similar to "Sink the BIsmarck".
Made in the same year as "Battle of the River Plate" (which used an American warship, the U.S.S.Salem to play the Graf Spee) this film uses the actual H.M.S. Amethyst. She was brought out of storage to participate in the film and was very badly damaged during the filming. This was due to a special effects explosion that was made too big, it blew a hole in the hull, flooding the engine room. The Amethyst was then sent to the breakers yard for scrapping and another vessel was used for the rest of the filming. The Amethyst supposedly sustained more damage during filming of the movie, than it did during the actual battle itself.
The River Orwell, in Suffolk, doubled as the Yangtze River during the making of this film.
This is an excellent Black and White print. My copy is on 2 x 1200ft spools. I don’t know who actually put this film out. I obtained my copy from the U.S. The sound is excellent, doing full justice to the battle scenes. This film ranks alongside “Battle of the River Plate” and “Sink the Bismarck” as the quintessential British Naval War Film from the 1950’s.
I would be interested if anyone could give me an indication as to which company released / distributed this Super 8mm version.

[ July 19, 2007, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Keith Ashfield ]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC