8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » THE REPTILE -5X400FT.90MINS.SUPER8.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: THE REPTILE -5X400FT.90MINS.SUPER8.
Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2007 04:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello fellow members.Here is my view on this 1966 hammer feature.
Often overlooked,due to Hammer's big three,its still a very moody
chiller.
We are in Cornwall,where a spite of horrible deaths,has the local
populace terrfied.A young man,and his wife,arrive a a nice little cottage to start their new life.The villeagers are not freindly;except the local pub landlord.
Not far from this young couple's home;is the local doctor of old anicent reglions.His daughter,makes freinds with the young wife;
much to her father's disapprovel.
The young man,meanwhile,tries to find out what happened to his late brother,who owned the cottage before him.
He doesn't have much luck,but another attack,on a local,gets the pub landlord to help him.
They dig up the young man's brother,he appears to have been bitten-like a snake bite.
They decide to take action,but before they can carry their plan out,the young man gets a letter,from someone in the large house.
He goes,and is also attacked.He makes it back to the cottage,where his young wife puts him to bed,and heads off to seek help from the pub owner.
Meanwhile,back at the large house,we learn that both the doctor
and his daughter,are being ruled by their servant.He seems to have some power over them.This proves to be the case!....
We are now set for the frighting climax,which is excellent.
A real top notch chiller from Hammer,with excellent performances
from all the players;neat direction from John Gilling,and great monster make up from Roy Aston.
Well what about the print.In a word excellent.In my view it's one of Derann's best Hammer super8 prints.Sound,although in mono,is good.If you are a horror fan,then don't overlook this excellent
Hammer release.At least two scenes made my coffee fly up in the air.Dont miss it!.Andy.
PRINT A+
SOUND B.
Now on 2x800ft reels.

[ May 20, 2007, 04:42 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Wilson ]

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2007 04:34 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes,I forgot to say that this movie was made back to back with
THE PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES!Does anyone have Derann's cut down?.It looks like there's not many Hammer fans left.Andy.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2007 06:45 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andrew,
another great review. I also collect Horror films and am often tempted to write the odd review but I doubt that they would be as good as yours. I bought Derann's 4 x 400ft "The Plague of the Zombies" a few years ago from a fellow forum member on ebay and love the film. It's definatly one of the better "Hammers" and anything with the lovely Jacqueline Pearce in has to be worth seeing. [Wink]
I think that I will have to find some space on my shelves for "The Reptile".
Best wishes,
Paul.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2007 06:52 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plague.. is my favourite Hammer too. The graveyard dream sequence is so atmospheric, you just know something is going to pop up behind the doctor...
It doesn't rely on the excessive gore of the modern zombie films and it also has a reason for the zombies exsistence.
Mal
apologies for drifting off-topic!

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2007 06:49 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,The print quailty of this featre is excellent.Well worth adding to any horror fans collection.Andy.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2007 10:53 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the scan Rob.Andy.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC