8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Disney's Prince & The Pauper

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disney's Prince & The Pauper
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2007 03:54 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I collected a copy of this (600') from Paul Foster when I saw him at the B F C C. At £34.99 it was worth every single penny. Starring Mickey Mouse and with stereo sound, this print is absolutely stunning. Outstanding colour, sharpness and sound make this a must-have for every serious collector.

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 21, 2007 11:23 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon
Watched it only last week stunning print and excellent stereo sound Super8 at its best.
 -
Graham [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 15, 2007 11:12 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a fun title and quite popular with collectors. Tho we mostly know the story, I'll state it in short form ...

Mickey plays both a peasant, (named of all things Mickey Mouse) and the prince soon to be King. Mickey and Goofy sing of thier longings to be king and all the pleasures therein.

Meanwhile, the prince is gloomy. He wants to be out of the castle and experiencing life, instead of constantly being taught by his boring teacher, (but getting some delight in torturing his best friend, Donald Duck, with spit wads.)

Meanwhile, the princes main power figure in the Kingdom, played by the wonderful Peg Leg Pete, is corrupt as you can get, and has plans to get rid of the prince and become King himself, once the reigning King has died.

Mickey tries to follow pluto into the castle grounds. Once therein, the prince calls him up and the prince gets the idea of trading places, which they do. The prince goes outside of the castle to experience peasant life, (and finds out just how badly the peasants are being treated), while Mickey does his best to act "Princely". peg Leg realizes that Mickey isn't the Prince, and arranges to have the real Prince captured, which he does.

It becomes time to crown the "prince" Mickey, who squirms about trying to get out of it, but Peg leg will kill Pluto if Mickey doesn't go along with it.

The Prince breaks out in the nick of time, and Peg leg is stopped. The film ends with a reprise of how great it would be for Mickey to be King, (with Mickey holding the note, as before)

Roll credits.

This was released along with "The Rescuers Down Under" (also available from Derann films), originally in the movie theater, and one of the really nice touches is that this has, shortly after the story ends and the credits run, a funny announcement with Mickey, the Prince and the teacher, which also begins the ten minute intermission clock. When shown on TV or DVD, this neat little bit would not be seen, (for obvious reasons) and so it's wonderful to have it on here.

Raise a toast to Derann once again!

This print is absolutely fabulous! The image is pin sharp, which is vitally important, as the animation had a very fine ink line to it. Every detail is well "scene", get it? HA!

(ehem)

The colour doesn't have any of the "bluish" quality that some Derann prints have, very vibrant! This print is in the "Letterboxed" format, which it was originally released in, which is a plus, and with the incredible sharpness of the print, that helps immeasurably!

My particular print is in stereo (I don't know if it was available in mono), and the stereo seperation is brilliant. Both tracks have very loud reproduction of the stereo soundtrack, (I use a Eumig 926 stereo), with very crisp high and lovely lows. I must say, the stereo sound quality is just about the best I have heard.

This was released on one 600ft reel. The film time runs approximately 27 minutes.

A great short subject, complete on one reel and a great one to add to your collection!

OSI Osgood

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 15, 2007 02:34 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Osi. What raves for this title!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC