8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » "Bearly Asleep" Donald Duck SCOPE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Bearly Asleep" Donald Duck SCOPE
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 10, 2007 09:22 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't reviewed a short subject cartoon for awhile, so I thought I'd give this little charmer a go. That, and I have always enjoyed Donald Duck cartoons.

This one is entitled, "Bearly Asleep". It was originally released in 1955, starring Donald Duck and "Humphrey Bear". The plot is as follows ...

The National park is shutting down for the year, with Ranger Donald Duck looking forward to a well deserved rest.
With the visitors gone, it's now time for the bears to start thier hibernation. They all line up and trot off to thier cave.

They start thier hibernating, but are unable to sleep due to a rather loud snoring Humphrey. He is kicked out and must find a nice place to hibernate. Hey, why not Donalds ranger hut?

What follows is Humphrey's many attempted to get inside and stay inside. he ultimately fails, but figures out a way to get back in the cave. he dresses up as a baby and the cartoon ends with him being happily rocked to sleep.

This was near the end of Disney's releasing cartoon short subjects on a regular basis. This cartoon was only thier third release in cinemascope. In this case, the Disney artists used the scope screen well and I was impressed. Not all studio's knew how to optimize the scope screen and the whole frame is used quite well. Jack Hannah, who directed this cartoon as well as nearly all Donald Duck cartoons since around 1948 on up, was quoted as being so tired of Donald Duck that he hated even hearing the voice! he would soon leave to head up Walter Lantz's Woody Woodpecker films.

This is a very good print by Derann films. The colours are vibrant and the focus is incredibly sharp, a great example of just how good a super 8 cartoon can be. The sound is equally sharp as well. The grain is very clear, not dupey at all, but then, they no doubt have Disney studio negative masters for these Disney releases. One thing you must say for Disney; they have such high standards, (for thier public image) that they won't even allow thier Super 8 prints to look shabby.

On a last note, it has the customary "Beuna Vista" title before the beginning of the cartoon, but in thier "scope" version, which is rare to see, as there weren't really all that many scope animated films that they made, (including shorts and features : 11 titles)

So, kudo's to Derann for releasing this.

On a side note, I would be curious as to whether Derann has potential rights to two other late Disney favorites in scope,

"Chips Ahoy" (Donald/Chip and Dale)
"In the Bag" (Classic "Ranger Willouby and the Bears" toon)

This is a great pick for a scope short to show on your scope Disney program. A Great Buy!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 11, 2007 02:48 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi
Good review, I just watched this one last night, "winter down here" [Frown] so I am running a bit of film at the moment, excellent Scope picture and sound, a film of this standard really shows what can be achieved on Super8, a little jem. [Smile]

Graham.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 11, 2007 11:48 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This really is a great film in content, picture and sound. It's a nice 8 minute example of what humble little-old Super-8 can do in the right hands.

At any rate, it's always fun showing a 'scope film to a new crowd the first time and having them wonder how you got a wide picture out of the same machine the taller, narrower one also came out of.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 12, 2007 05:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To illustrate the sharpness of the print, near the end of the short, when Humphrey Bear is running around the Kitchen (I believe), there is a pattern on the wall, which appears to be from a wall paper pattern. It is pin sharp, and it shows just how lovely this cartoon is.

--------------------

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2007 12:04 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a screen capture in its correct aspect.

-

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2007 12:49 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...my print is super sharp as well. Someone asked about other scope Disney's......I have the Derann of the Donald Duck cartoon, No Hunting. Not as sharp...certainly not as cute or funny as Bearly Asleep.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 25, 2007 01:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the screen shot o thier Larry. Too bad it's not a good example of the sharpness of the print, but it DOES show off the magnificent color of this cartoon, and it's always wonderful to see that widescreen in all of it's glory.

(I really need to get my camera in gear!)

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC