8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » END OF DAYS (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: END OF DAYS
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 11, 2007 01:33 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
END OF DAYS
600ft reel Colour Stereo Sound SCOPE
Derann

It is with great pleasure I can say Derann Films have listened to film collectors requests for more Arnold Schwarzenegger movies on Super 8 and they have come up with a quite superb offering here. Even better that I given the opportunity to review it for you all and to get my hands on the first print!

Derann have chosen wisely in the release of this flick. End of Days is a superb vehicle for Arnold giving him the opportunity to entertain as only he knows how.

The Super 8mm film opens with a great title sequence and menacing music just to keep you towards the edge of your seat for what is to follow. Once we are near the edge get set for a roller coaster ride folks as we enter a real supernatural thriller ideal for the Super 8 Scope screen. This 600ft reel is essentially the last all action part from the movie as Arnie and the 20 year old girl known as Christine York who Arnold is trying to protect from the Devil impregnating. If she bears the Devils child between 11PM and midnight on New Years Eve, the world will end.

In this cracking 600ft reel we watch the battle between them to try and defeat the Devil which takes place in a Church, and also on the subway (Underground to UK viewers). Outstanding special effects throughout this reel such as flames running round the church walls, the subway chase is simply breathtaking, as is Arnolds co-star Robin Tunny. Gabriel Byrne is the villain and seems to lap up his role as the Devil. Our only hope is Arnold working to foil all the Devils efforts to get his girl before Midnight. Can Arnie protect her from harm? You are going to have to get this movie to find out and believe me it’s worth it.

The features release was timed to coincide with the Millenium and was released in 1999. We have had to wait a few years for the Super 8 600ft reel version but Derann have done those who have been waiting proud.

The print quality throughout is consistently brilliant with superb colours and in Scope I am for once actually lost for words. This subject lends itself to Scope perhaps more than any other with the vastness of the Church and the subway Train, it’s just so vast on the Scope screen.

Sound is in Stereo which is crisp and at one point even had my Tannoy speakers gasping as they rumbled the floor boards. The balance track level is slightly lower than the main, but considering it’s nearly half the size that’s not surprising.

I’m not going to spoil your viewing by telling you all that happens on screen in this blockbuster as it will spoil your own viewing, but you will not be disappointed.

I would like to finally congratulate Derann and its laboratory on a first class job here. The film is a welcome addition to any collection and reaffirms the outstanding print quality one can expect from the leading 8mm supplier, and also Super 8 itself.

Don’t think I will ever be able to watch my DVD of the film again after viewing the S8 End of Days 600ft reel.

Print A +++
Sound A

-

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 11, 2007 04:49 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee,

Thanks for the review and for the good news of this new release. I had no idea Derann was bringing this out!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2007 02:37 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee,

Great review!!

I must get me a copy ASAP!!!

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2007 04:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Great review there Lee.Spoke to Ged of Derann.Labs on hoilday.
It will be about two weeks before its in stock,and ready for dispatch.I want one too!Andy.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 12, 2007 04:16 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks lads. Derann had not actually formally announced the release, but allowed me to review it which was very good of them and for collectors. A release date will be forthcoming shortly I am sure. I think this will prove a seriously popular release for Derann. It’s a great choice by them I think and the quality is of this scope film is truly amazing. I’ve been collecting 8mm since my teens and I have never seen anything quite so repeatable as this for quality and Scope movie entertainment, so much so we watched it twice at that screening.

It’s even better to see such a great print from our UK labs and then have delivered the goods here to be sure.

I’m not sure how many prints Derann have in stock on the first run, but I would get your name down sharp for a copy as I expect them to fly out the Derann doors.

Arnie is back on Super 8, and in fine form !
Remember the trailer is also available from Derann folks.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2007 04:23 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Lee.Let us hope they dont make a balls of this great release,as they did with A GRAND DAY OUT!Andy.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 12, 2007 04:26 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Criswell Predicts !
Derann will keep a close eye on the labs to make certain we see Arnold at his best on Super 8mm.
 -

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2007 04:39 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee,

Have you a rough idea of how much Derann will be charging for this release??

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 12, 2007 04:46 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark.
Not yet my friend. Best thing to do would be to ring Ged and ask what the retail price will be or price code. I would your name down early Mark as I have been getting mails and phone calls from mates who are going to order so I think it will sell out quickly. We are due to show the print here to an audience Friday eve on the 9ft Scope screen as I want to see what the gang make of it. Mobile phone clip to follow on the Tube.

Very best to you Mark.

[ July 12, 2007, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2007 05:01 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys..Ged doesn't have the price yet.But i would say between £75-£80.We just have to wait and see.Its only two weeks.Andy.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2007 05:25 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Lee,
Many thanx for the advice,I will get my name down asap.
Please post the link here to the YOUTUBE screening when you have done it.
I hope the show goes well on Friday.
Cheers Mark

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2007 07:08 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys,

Derann usually price films due to length so if this is a fullish 600 foot I would expect the price to be the same as a other 600 footers.

I will keep a watch on it. [Smile]

Gra

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2007 08:20 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is fantasic news,it's so good to see that Super 8 is alive and well and living in the UK!!!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 12, 2007 03:03 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for you Mark and ahead of schedule here are no less than two Mobile Phone clips of the new Super 8 flick.

Please all remember..
A MOBILE PHONE CAMERA DOES NO DO JUSTICE TO EITHER THE PICTURE QUALITY OR THE SUPERB SOUND FROM THIS PRINT.

These clips are for novelty value only and show the Eumig 926GL on the left of the screen with Scope lens, and the other is a off screen shot.

Have fun folks....
The link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7eFg1cQvNE

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2007 04:03 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Lee,

Many thanx for the preview!!!

This has really wet my appetite now.

Cheers Mark

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 13, 2007 02:58 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I’m not going to spoil your viewing by telling you all that happens on screen in this blockbuster as it will spoil your own viewing, but you will not be disappointed.
Well... er... This is what I'd like to see in a super 8 print review. Any film guide can provide you with the film's storyline. Telling the plot of a picture is certainly NOT reviewing it. Only a super 8 collector can tell you what's included in a digest or an extract.

Lee, are these 600ft equivalent to the last two reels of the 35mm print? IE - is there an "end"?

I don't like the film, so I'm not sure I'll buy this extract, but I admit the subway scene is quite spectacular.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 13, 2007 09:48 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the criticism Jean. Nice to know my efforts were appreciated.

But I can confirm it does include the end final. Obviously did not want to spoil the fun for those who have not seen the film and have chosen to wait for the 8mm release. Think they call this concideration.

Have fun with the hobby !

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 13, 2007 12:31 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lee (I read your post before it was edited).
The reason of my remark was simple: before spending 80 or 90 quids, a collector needs to know what he'll be getting for that hefty sum. And there's no other person on the planet than another collector (especially one from this forum) to enlighten him.
I read a lot of so-called reviews everywhere in which the writer simply tells the movie plot...
And just so you know: the only thing I like in Matrix Reloaded is the freeway chase. I bought the extract... [Wink]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 13, 2007 01:19 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jolly good show old bean and all points noted.

Edited just for Jean:
As it said in my little review at the top of these mails.
“This 600ft reel is essentially the last all action part from the movie”
Thought that was clear enough.

Re Matrix reloaded. How many times did they have to remake the same film to try and get it right? Hmm. Give me George Formby on 9.5 anytime. Ha-Ha..

Happy days of film collecting and oh how we all used to enthuse about cine...

Just getting ready for tonights show so better dash, but its been fun with the banter.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 14, 2007 06:41 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee whats the trailer like to it then, its on with MI2 are they both good.
Best mark.
PS wish you could get a trailer for 300.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 14, 2007 06:54 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee,
Thanks for the preview of this notable new release. I'd be curious to know:
a) Could you estimate the running time?
b) Once you get past the opening credits, do you think there are any edits at all or do you get 100% of what follows?
c) Would an audience unfamiliar with the film need to hear a sunnary of what's missing, in order to have any hope of making sense of it?
Thanks.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Uwe Brengel
Junior

- posted July 15, 2007 02:14 PM      Profile for Uwe Brengel   Author's Homepage   Email Uwe Brengel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks, what do you want to do with all these extracts? No more digests please, we need a new feature film! [Smile]
What do you mean?

U. Brengel
www.celluloidfilm.de

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2007 11:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Uwe,It looks as if the days of feature films are gone.
This is because of the costs.Andy.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 16, 2007 04:42 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to all at Derann, this will be a super 8 winner i'm sure, i agree that the feature is probably a thing of the past for 8mm,(but we were all taken by surprise with Master & Commader),think of an evenings viewing consisting of Gladiator (both extracts) Matrix Freeway frenzy anf the Fifth element and this new release,
What would you prefer, all these in one superb all action show or one feature film?
I go for the quality fast paced all action extracts,
Well done again to Derann, a great choice of title to. [Wink]

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2007 06:56 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Frown]

Hi folks,

I prefer to watch the whole film with all the content and his still moments. I 'm not a fan of pure fast paced action extracts without any content, bacause no one else of my audience is interested in this.

So if Master and Commander was the last feautre film and the end of features in S 8, this film was my last S 8 print I bought. Sorry but no chance for extracts.

Greetings
Ralf

Cine 8-16
www.celluloidfilm.de

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC