8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2007 10:29 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the new Indie film being in production as we speak, I thought I'd review this release which I just received. I bought it through Steve Osbourne of the Reel Image...he ordered from the company in England, who had the film printed in Germany...then the film was sent to Los Angeles for stereo re-recording and mixing.

I have to say that this print is the finest quality Super 8 print I've ever seen. "Stunning" is a much overused buzz word these days , especially on Ebay , but that's exactly how I would describe this print. Had I not known, and had just walked into the screening room, I would have thought I was watching and listening to 35mm.....rock steady image, perfect color and contrast..and about as sharp as they come. I was totally envenloped in the picture on the screen. I'm told it was taken from a 35mm print, but it looks like an original off the negative. No scratches...no cue marks....just maybe a frame or two jump cut at two of the original reel changes.

And then there is the sound......absolutely the best super 8 soundtrack I've ever heard. The separation,...the movement of voices across the screen...the pervect placement of sound effects, left, right and center. Nice deep bass on the music..and miracle of miracles, ...not a hint of the dreaded Super 8 clatter and flutter. Just a fine job. The stripe must have been nearly perfectly applied..and the recording machine and mixing..near perfect. On this forum I have praised to the hilt the quality of prints like Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, The Fog and the Mummy(Hammer version), but Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade tops them all.
To top it all off, Steve Osbourne tells me there are some other prints he has seen that equal or top this one....which would be a huge achievement, if true. Indie was not cheap and it took about two and half months to get it, but worth every penny and well worth the wait. Steven mounted it on large reels and cleaned and treated it before sending it out to California for re-recording. That cost only a few extra dollars and was well worth the investment.
Can't praise this film highly enough in terms of quality of picture and sound. Anyone would be proud to have this one up on their scope screen.
I am thrilled by it.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 23, 2007 07:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Osbourne is one of those "patron saints" of Super 8, and though these new features cost a pretty penny, they'd cost even
more if bought from a U.K. company. Quite a bit, in fact, which of course, leaves more money for other purchases!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2013 03:29 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have screen shots of this print? I would love to see!

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2013 05:17 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seconded, Adam! Last Crusade is undoubtedly my favorite Indy-film [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2013 05:04 PM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pictures please!!! Drooling like a madman.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 14, 2013 08:26 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Delighted to hear that a modern print like this turned out so well. Cary - I wondered if it's printed on polyestar stock, as such a great result on the old acetate stock would seem miraculous!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2013 03:44 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My copy of this film is acetate, with double track and re-recorded in Italian Stereo!

My special thanks to Oemer who helped me to find it! [Big Grin]

Flavio

[ June 29, 2013, 05:48 AM: Message edited by: Flavio Stabile ]

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2013 03:47 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky bastard lol. I want one!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC