8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Airport 77 400ft digest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Airport 77 400ft digest
Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2007 04:07 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UNIVERSAL 8 release AIRPORT 77 1x400ft adapted scope.
film begins with the credits rolling over stills of an airport Jerry Jameson directs and Richard Fry produces and and 3 years later they together will bring us the epic RAISE THE TITANIC, also a number of actors in this film will also appear in RAISE.
1st we see Jack Lemmon as captain looking at the cargo being loaded on the plane "I wonder what is worth more?, the cargo or the plane?" he says to another guy with him, we see the passengers abord, James Stewart appears on the big TV screen in the plane welcoming everyone to the 1st flight "Of the STEVENS corporation's new airplane", we cut to Mike Pataka's villian character in the cieling of the plane, he pumps a gas into the cabin and the cast drop into a deep sleep, also Jack Lemmon get's a wack on the head by one of the stewards, we see the plane flying through some fog then it hit's the top of an oil rig and crashes into the sea, the passengers wake up when the plane hits the water, (this footage of the plane crashing has been used in a couple of TV shows over the years most recent in the popular daytime soap DAYS OF OUR LIVES)
The plane sinks, we see Christopher Lee die by drowning when the cargo door opens and he gets hit on the head by it, the navy is called and plans are made to raise the plane to the surface, Jimmy Stewart appears in person onboard the navy ship talking how his daughter and grandson are onboard the plane, divers attach gas ballons on the plant and it raises and everyone is rescued.
Not a bad edited film, sound is good.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 29, 2007 11:56 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick,

Thanks for the review. I'm working on an article about the Airport series on Super 8, and I feel "Airport 77" is the weakest of the lot. Slow moving for a digest, the first few minutes had me bored.
It's a shame that the only time we get to see Chris Lee is in his death scene!
How's the color on your print? Mine has faded badly.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2007 03:22 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree... I was very disappointed not to see more of Mr. Lee. My print is faded, but not hrribly red/amber just yet. Sound on mine is good, too. FYI....Mr. Lee's footage in the 400' KEN release of "Musketeers" is practically non-existent - just a quick shot as the camera pans the cast at the finale.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 29, 2007 06:18 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat
A slight exaggeration of what would happen to an aircraft hitting the water [Roll Eyes]
 -
Not a bad film though.

Graham. [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 29, 2007 08:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going from that view, a small party should have made an attempt to climb out through the vertical stabilizer (...kind of a Poseidon Adventure crossover.)

Could never happen? -Just as likely as an aircraft holding together upon hitting the water in a crash.

Water is very viscous, just ask anybody that's ever dived off the high board and hit the water flat!

(Musta given the Airframe Engineers over at Boeing a chuckle!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 29, 2007 09:30 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
The Boeing 747 engine mounts are designed with a structural fuse the theory is that on impact with water this structure should fail, and as a result this would allow the engine struts and engines to break away without "hopefully" damaging the wing tanks etc, thats the idea however in practice things might me a bit different.

Back in 1982 a fully laden British Airways 747 flying from "London to Auckland, New Zealand" came very close to ditching in the Indian Ocean, the aircraft had flown into a volcanic ash cloud at 37000ft near Java late at night, the result was they lost all four engines, the flight crew were totally mystified what was going on, the aircraft lost all power and 24000ft before the flight engineer managed to restart just one engine, then slowly the rest, the aircraft had been badly damaged, and with very little visibility the captain managed to land at Jakarta. The captain had decided that if the engines had not re-started by the time they reached 12000ft he was going to turn the aircaft away from Jakarta due to the mountains, and initiate a ditching in the sea, it was a very close call indeed and thankfully it was never put to the test, later the flight crew recieved official commendations and awards for there actions.

Graham.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 29, 2007 10:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem you run into though is whichever point (wingtip, nose, etc.) first dives below the surface becomes a fulcrum that the rest of the aircraft (or the pieces it's made of) tumbles around, and the forces are immense with that much mass and velocity at play.

(It still amazes me they can fly in the first place!)

It could be worse: I seem to remember some 1970s TV movie drivel about an entire ocean liner going to the bottom in the 1930s and trapping all hands alive inside an air bubble. They developed an entire new set of undersea technologies that allowed them to survive something like 40 years until they were rescued.

(Anyone remember the title?)

--------------------

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2007 04:46 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes my film has good colour and sound.
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 30, 2007 07:47 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Pat.

Steve,

I remember that film, mostly because Frank Gorshin was in it! "Goliath Awaits".

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 30, 2007 08:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Call, Doug!

...and Christopher Lee was in both films!

--------------------

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2007 01:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Airport77,but this edit is below par.Andy.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC