8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » A NIGHT TO REMEMBER 1 x400ft

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A NIGHT TO REMEMBER 1 x400ft
Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2007 04:24 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am unsure who put this one out but I think it was Powell films, in the late 60s/early 70s, a nice edited version of the in my case the best film about the Titanic ever made.
Film begins with the launching of the ship (stock footage of one of the queens and another ship I think)As the credits begin to roll we then cut to the interior of the wireless room (it would of been nice to see a shot of the ship just to set the scene)we see various scenes of the ship's crew as well as that of the Californian, the ship hits the berg and the shit hits the fan so to speek, we cut to the Carpathis sailing and full steam to the Titanic, Keeneth Morr's Officer Lightoller takes charge and we see him swept of the deck as the boat deck is awashed, the ship rises and sinks with the passengers still onboard saying prayers as it slides under, cut to the lifeboats we then see Lightoller in the water swim to the upturned lifeboat and takes charge, then we see a shot that is not in either the VHS or DVD versions (could be in the origonal 35mm/16mm releases) of a person passing the baby child to Lightoller, he sees if it is alive (it is not) then he puts it back into the water.
We cut to the Carpathis as she arrives on the scene where we see the lifeboats and their occupants getting the attention of the ship, we fade to a nice stock fottage shot of the real Carpathia sailing , we see Lioghtoller talking to the Capt about the dead, THE END fades in over a nice shot of the water with life jackets floating by.
A nice digest but the picture quality is not that good being over exposed on some shots and having a unsteady picture, sound is very good has the J ARTHUR RANK gong at the start.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 14, 2007 09:34 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt about it, 'A Night to Remember' is the best of all the Titanic movies, including James Cameron's lengthy multimillion dollar blockbuster. Kenneth Moore is superb in his role, and the film is unmatched in its authenticity. A great British film.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2007 01:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
I am with you on that one Paul.Also super8 contains a scene that has been removed from Laserdisc,VHS,and DVD.Andy.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 14, 2007 03:43 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uncle Lee thinks the 1997 Titanic film will take some beating. Camerons movie still has a huge following, even we watch it.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2007 12:46 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is high up in my collection even though the print is a bit of the ruff side, was it ever released as a feature on super *?....any one have one to sell me [Smile] ?????
Pat

--------------------

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2007 09:59 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick,A night to remember was released by long gone Powell films
here in the UK.As well as the two reel cut down,they released a 10 reel version.That's 5x400ft.Perry's movies or indept8 or Paul Foster films may have one in their second hand lists.I think it runs for about 90mins.;or so.Andy.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted August 15, 2007 12:39 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick
Sounds to me like you are also a Titanic fan as we are here. I have all the Super 8 releases including the 5X400 of Night to Remember which is a nice print. When we give super 8 shows here I tend to go overboard on the theme so its Titanic all out you understand. Tend to watch the 400ft of Titanic (Ciff Webb) a fair bit also lead into a selection of Titanicish trailers etc which always gets the boat rocking. Put plenty of ice in the drinks and serve iced tea at half time. get the ice theme?

Seriously though. If you are after the 5X400 in very good condish it tends to go for a fair price here in the UK and I know I paid high for this print, but well worth it.

Keep an eye open and I am sure a print will turn up.
Kindest regards
Bruce Ismay

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2007 03:04 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee
Yes I am a Titanic fan, I have been for years,Some relation of mine's great uncle died on the Titanic so I suppose there is a connection there, I am cutrrently trying to get titanic on film at the moment so far I have the 1x400ft TITANIC 1953, 1x400ft A NIGHT TO REMEMBER, RAISE THE TITANIC 16mm feature, and RAISE THE TITANIC trailer in 35mm, I have noticed that Perry's movies list has the 53 Titanic on the Ken Films 200ft version,
I have them all on dvd but on film is something else! One I do recomend everyone to get is the 1943 German Titanic, I got it from Kinovideo.com and the DVD is very good with alot of the special effects used in A NIGHT TO RMEMBER without credit, also there is some great special features including a 1920s White Star Line advertising film on board the OlYMPIC and the newsreel that came out after the sinking showing Capt Smith and the OLYMPIC aka TITANIC [Smile] .

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC