8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » capricorn one-1x600ft/scope.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: capricorn one-1x600ft/scope.
Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2007 01:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
This was another release from Derann's deal with ITC,and its beauifully edited by Ken Locke.Its 32mins for any audience.
Those of us who are long in the tooth,will remember Walton's 13minute scope release,this one is much fast-moving and gripping.
Anyway here goes....
It poses the nagging question-are we correct in believing every thing we see on mass tv?.
A three man mission to Mars is about to be launched when,with only seconds to go to blast off,the crew are whisked away out of the capsule and took to the deserted air force base.
The world watches the rocket take off,as NASA gives up to the minute reports on it's progress.
The three astronauts are quite bewilderd,they are soon confronted by the project head,so determined to get funding for his department,he goes as low as threating the three men,that something nasty will happen to their wives if they don't comply.
Back at Mission control,the media watch the rocket's progress-all
except one little boffin who just can't make the figures add up.
Later,at a pool hall,he tells his mate,a newspaper reporter that the sigals cant becoming from three hunderd miles up.When his
mate,played by Elliot gould,gets a telephone call,the boffin disappears.Gould smells a rat,and while driving to another location,the brakes on his car fail,resulting in a hair-raising drive thru the city and culmining in a plunge off a raised bridge into the river-great cimeascope marteial this!.
Back at the mock up,the spacemen enact the landing and speak to their nervous wives "back" on earth.!An odd remark by James Brolin to his wife,Brenda Varrcaro,keeps Gould on the scent.
This leads to the spectacular climax as the villainous helicopters chase him in a crop dusting bi-plane flown by Telly Savalas in a cameo role....
This title is one of the best scope titles i have yet seen,a must for every owner of a Anamorphic lens.Excellent.Andy.
Print A
Sound A.

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 16, 2007 02:54 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy
Excellent review although I dont have that print, I do have the Derann "This Is Scope" which includes the flying sequence, also the 16mm Scope feature, brilliant edge of the seat flying in that old bi-plane, [Eek!] I still remember Telly Savalas saying to Elliott Gould, "get your god damn head out of the road", or words to that effect, [Wink] even though this film was made back in 1978 its still a very good story, well made and acted, and with some of the best stunts that you will ever see on film.

Graham [Smile]

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2007 01:13 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I've got the 16mm scope feature too, otherwise I would have one of the Super 8 versions. I am surprised how watchable it is still. In some ways it's aged more sympathetically than other sci fi from the era, as it is more an actioner than sci fi.

A great film anyway, perhaps Elliot Goulds best.......although I still have fond memories of him in The Devil and Max Devlin seen at the Northland Twin drive-in!

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2007 09:38 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
I thnk Derann still do this release.Andy.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 20, 2007 03:25 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Just added that to my list of for sale items.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC