8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » She Flies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: She Flies
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 18, 2007 08:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Colour/Scope, Mono sound, 200ft, available from Derann.

"She Flies" is the term used by commentator Raymond Baxter, to describe Concorde 001 lifting off on its maiden flight at Touloose on Sunday March 2 1969. This short film starts with mechanics preparing Concorde, after this we see Concorde leaving its hanger and preparing for flight, watching the start up of the aircraft with its four Rolls-Royce Olympus engines is impressive on the Scope screen. Concorde lines up for take off and with brakes on the engines are taken up to full power, each one developing 38.000lbs of thrust, the brakes are released the aircraft starts its take off run "this is brilliant is Scope" and slowly the nose of the aircraft rises, and as millions of TV viewers were to see and hear at the time, the comments "She Flies", there are some excellent shots of Concorde flying, "with gear down" finishing with the final approach and landing, deploying and releasing its drag chute, the final scenes are of Concorde taxing and finishing as the sun sets at the terminal.

With narration by Raymond Baxter this film is very infomative and is impressive in Scope, also very historical as all Concorde flights have now ceased.

Picture quality is good a little bit soft on focus and very slight movement on the frame "being a bit picky" good sound, overall a film well worth having, an excellent addition to any Scope program.

Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 19, 2007 05:30 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
We saw this at a recent BFCC and it really worked well on that 24ft wide screen.

If I'm not mistaken this was originally released by Walton.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2007 12:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Kevin.That's who i thought released it first-Walton films.Don't think it was in scope though.Good review.Andy.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 19, 2007 08:36 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Christian's Walton lists show a film titled "Concorde", but not "She Flies".

It is shown as Walton code "B" (approx. 125', one reel), so it sounds too short to be a Derann "E".

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 21, 2007 03:48 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walton released a colour/200ft sound film around 1976-77 called "Concorde", the film is about the introduction of the aircaft into the British Airways fleet, the film centres on the first B/A flight, there are some great shots of both the cabin and the aircraft in flight, the colour/sound and sharpness of this print is excellent.

When doing the review of "She Flies" I thought it would be nice to add a good photo of "Concorde" the only one I could find was on the Walton box "Concorde" hence the B/A colours you see in the photo, both "She Flies" Scope, and "Concorde" Flat, are well worth getting.

Graham. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC