8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » DUMB PATROL!! (Warner Brothers)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DUMB PATROL!! (Warner Brothers)
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 20, 2007 12:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always had a soft spot for the "ending" of things, of golden eras coming to an end. This cartoon is one of those cartoons.

In 1963, the classic Warners directors directed thier last cartoons for Warner Borthers, which were released in 1964. After this, Warners would then start releasing thier cartoons thru the newly formed DePathe/Freleng studio, (who released the Pink panther cartoons), and then Warners would start thier own studio back up briefly under the leadership of Robert McKimson, who was one of thier classic directors ...

But these later cartoons were a mere candle to what was produced before 1963.

By 1963, the budgets had been trimmed quite a lot, and it showed onscreen, the animation was more limited, Warners had trimmed down thier large orchestra and so the soundtracks tended to have a more TV cartoon sound, cheap.

But they were still capable of producing decent cartoons.
One of these is the cartoon "Dumb Patrol", one of the last Bug's Bunny cartoons, only three more this very year to be made.

The cartoon takes place during World War One. The British need to send someone out to take out Baron "Sam Von Shvam"
(Yosimite Sam), the German figher ace. They draw straws, and pilot Porky, (in one of his last on screen appearances), draws the winning straw.

Pilot Porky is taken out of the picture by a well timed "brick" by pilot Bugs, who takes the mission instead, because Porky has a "wife and six piglets".

Meanwhile Sam Von Shvam is throwing tantrum, as he wants a furlough to make whoppee with the dames. Bugs delivers a bouquette of flowers with a big bee within. naturally, this pisses off Sam, and he's soon chasing after Bug's.

What results are a series of quite funny gags for this late of a cartoon, (including the re-used "I'll give you to three" gag, "One ... two ... WHAM! into a mountian!), resulting in Sam blowing himself up, to which Bug's responds with the only cuss word to be heard in a Warners cartoon in a long time ...

"I always hoid of hell's angels, but I never thought I'd see one".

The end.

This was the last year that they would use thier "That's All Folks" close and it's kind of sad to see it here.

This print, (among others) were re-released by Derann, I believe, from the italian masters that they used in the 70's, and these prints are far and away, better than the italian prints of this cartoon. the print is on L.P.P. eastman, so the rich saturated colours will last a good long time. The sharpness is what you've come to expect from Derann, outstanding! (also better than the original printing of these films). The sound is your usual mono and quite loud. Fine grain, an all around good print.

There is one drawback to the print. The cartoon, after the opening, goes from the title of the cartoon, staright to the cartoon, without giving you the credits. Obviously, this was a time saving, (as well as footage saving) decision on the part of someone, (I don't say Derann, as the credits may have been edited out of the original negative when Derann recieved it), and for cartoon purists, it's irritating. But to have the cartoon on super 8 in the first place is quite nice. For those who don't care for credits, it's not a problem at all.

The cartoon is slightly under 6 minutes. 200ft.

Whenever I watch this cartoon, I'm always a little sad, as I'm watching the end of an era of cartoon excellence, but laughing as well. This is a fun cartoon to add to your collection, well worth your time.

Good viewing!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC