8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Derann 1987 Opener "Look to the future"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Derann 1987 Opener "Look to the future"
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 01, 2007 02:39 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This must surely be the shortest film ever reviewed on this delightful forum, but none the less still worth every word.

Recently I stumbled on a trailer reel purchased the Original Derann animated graphic presented on super 8mm film. This version however is with a twist and to date no one has shed any light as to why 1987 was such a special year for 8mm film.

Yes, the early colour Derann graphic is shown in all its splendour, but the soundtrack has a superb orchestral fanfare and a strong voiceover announcing

“Look to 1987 for a brighter future on 8mm with Derann”

This opener is superb and the print quality is outstanding as we have come to expect from the No 1 distributor and 8mm guiding light. Sound quality is also good and recorded at high level so it really does pack a punch. A bit like 20th Century Fox, but from Dudley.

You will by now be reading my mind and thinking along the same lines as me.
I wonder if Derann are planning a surprise reel with a few of these on with a fresh voiceover for 2007 ?

“Look to 2008 for a brighter future on 8mm with Derann”

Now wouldn’t that be great for Blackpool 2007!

Print A+++
Sound A+++
Just perfect.

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 01, 2007 08:20 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if you have picked up a 'one off' item with a voice-over specially added for a Blackpool convention film show. Could the voice conceivably be Bob Danvers-Walker, because when he was the guest around this time, Derek got him to do one or two 'jobs' of this kind.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2007 06:32 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, 1987 did seem to be a bright year for Derann. That was the year they put out their first high-quality colour catalog, complete with plastic binder. Also that year, Derann unvieled several nice full length features (like SOUND OF MUSIC), as well as their newly-acquired purchase of the Red Fox negatives in the U.S.A. (TIME MACHINE, etc.)

And all this at a time when video was booming and ALL of the major U.S. companies had folded. To many, super 8 had already died, but Derann saw things differently, making 1987 sort of a re-birth for super 8 movies, with so many great releases to come (Star Wars feature, Disney's, etc., etc.).

James.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 02, 2007 11:46 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian.
Its certainly interesting to watch something like this and I ran it several times last night. At long last YouTube have posted the clip via one of my usual mobile phone videos (not of high quality) and it shows that a bright future is in store for the super 8 collector in 1987.

Here is the direct link to the mobile phone, filmed off screen clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlmQrAz9eQM

James.
I agree my friend.Derann released some good stuff then and over many years including Star Wars. this little opener is a real treat I think and captures the enthusiasm that Derann have for 8mm and real home cinema. You can just feel it when viewing..

I do hope Derann dig up the negative and have some printed for Blackpool 07, that would be oh so nice.

I have just gone through me Derann files and pulled out the cat. Is this the one you was on about James? Very flash and real quality.
 -

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 02, 2007 05:42 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Adrian, it sounds to me like 'The Voice of Pathe ' Bob Danvers Walker.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 02, 2007 05:49 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pathe? Now we are talking film !
[Smile]

Dave Alligan
Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2007 03:03 AM      Profile for Dave Alligan   Email Dave Alligan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee

I can shed some light on the clip for you, the voice you hear is Bob Danvers Walker, the voice of Pathe News and in 1986 at the Blackpool Convention he was the after dinner speaker and he recorded that logo for Derann and it was shown just before he appeared as it was a secret who the after dinner speaker was going to be, hope this clears the mystery up.
Just to add I was their for that dinner and he was very interesting.

Dave

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 05, 2007 10:06 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
is BDW still around?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Dave Alligan
Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2007 11:03 AM      Profile for Dave Alligan   Email Dave Alligan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Paul

I really dont know, think I will try and find out.

Dave

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 06, 2007 12:37 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that he died several years ago.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2007 12:41 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian

You're right, I just googled him and got his Wikipedia right up;

quote:
Cyril Frederick ("Bob") Danvers-Walker was a British radio and newsreel announcer. He was born in Cheam, Surrey, on 11 October 1906. He died in Oxford on 17 May 1990.
The full write up is quite an interesting read, you can find it here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Danvers-Walker

Mike [Smile]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2007 06:22 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Pathe News" was always the boring bit that I had to endure before the film started when I was young lad at my local ABC. I remember Bob Danvers-Walker more from "Take Your Pick",the Friday night game show on ITV with Michael Miles in the sixties.
BDW: "And now tonight's star prize, the treasure chest containing £50".
Audience: "Oooooooh!"

Paul.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 06, 2007 06:52 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank's Mike, a very interesting read. Along with Leslie Mitchell (British Movietone News) and Lowell Thomas (American Fox Movietone News), Bob Danvers Walker is one of the iconic voices of the 20th century.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 16, 2007 11:46 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Miles ?
My uncle Frank (no longer with us) won a moped on that show many moons ago.
Golden years of light entertainment...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC