8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » One Man Band

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One Man Band
Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2007 02:04 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well here goes my first attempt at doing a film review!As a recent purchase it's for the Pixar short One Man Band and was shown in cinemas with Cars also by Pixar.A one man band starts to play in a small village when a young child goes to put his coin in the water fountain,not to miss an opportunity the musician starts to play and just as the coin is about to be dropped the child looks over and is amused to see where the music is coming from.As he plays the child reaches over to his cup and is just about to drop the coin when some more music is heard from the other side of the courtyard.The child runs over and again is amused by the music and producing his coin he places it over the cup,just as he is about to let go the first musician starts playing and even manages it while balancing on his drum but not for long and crashes to the ground.Not to be outplayed the second musician starts to play to keep the childs interest(and of course to get the coin)but theres no way the first musician is going to be outdone so they play together with new tricks to intice the child and all hell breaks out playing louder and faster than they have ever done before.With a stunned look on his face the child covers his ears to drown out the noise when disaster strikes and he drops the coin and it rolls away and falls down a drain.They are all shocked at this point and the child looks like he is about to cry when he sticks his hand out and wants his money back from the musical men but they have nothing to give,so the child who won't give up points at a violin and accepts this as payment.He then fine tunes it and beautifully plays music on it like he has done so for years,when a passer by throws down a large bag of coins.Now with the tables turned the child offers them both a coin to which the musicians faces light up and as they move forward to collect the child throws the coins and plop lands in the very top of the water fountain out of reach.Both men look horrified and the child wonders off,the end credits then roll and the two of them are seen just before the final "THE END" balancing on each other trying to get the coins......An amusing short from Pixar.Hope this is o.k for you all best Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 21, 2007 02:46 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds great Mark, how much is it and whats the print and sound like please.Great review.
Best Mark.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2007 04:19 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,the film costs £29.99 from CHC and i thought the print quality was very good the sound maybe recorded a little low but adequate.A very straight forward re-record on the GS soon put that right and now visual and audio are well matched thanks Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 22, 2007 01:05 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, is it flat and letterboxed or is it full scope?

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2007 01:10 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean-Marc the film is flat best Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2007 04:31 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean-Marc,

there is a review of "One Man Band" in issue #2 of our new magazine "Cine 8-16", and it definitely says that this short is printed in full scope.

Best,

Eberhard

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2007 05:25 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up a acopy at Ealing last Saturday. The first thing I have to do when I get home from the BFCC is to show the new acquisitions to the little ones. The box didn't say scope, so I showed it flat, but it became quite clear that the characters were a lot taller and thinner then they were supposed to be. I really need to get that scope screen fixed...

- Rob

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2007 06:39 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob,no mention of scope on my box either but out of interest i did try it with my lense and it does appear to give a scope picture,so i may have been wrong about that.Flat or scope its still a great title to show.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 24, 2007 10:16 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all. Good thing it was printed with the proper ratio. If Phil still sells this title in May, I'll sure pick one up.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2008 11:00 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark where did you get the material to re-record this one from. If it's still available I may pick one up in May too, I've given up after trying to order it, Mid October then twice again in November!

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2008 11:34 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,the material is on the Disney/pixar Cars dvd and as far as i know it's still available from CHC.Really does improve the sound of it with a re-record best Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2009 12:12 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had it recently. Great.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2016 11:45 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an excellent print. Interestingly it was taken from a German negative so it has a German title.
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 21, 2016 01:12 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it still available new?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2016 09:00 AM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve, I am pretty sure it is. It at least was very shortly ago.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC