8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Escape To Athena

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Escape To Athena
Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2007 06:39 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my review on the Walton 400 ft release.An all star cast and the action starts with the arrival of Roger Moore as a German officer at the Stalag Camp holding some prisoners.The captured soldiers plan to escape and do so dressed in German uniforms.They seem to have the German officer(moore) on there side at this point,and part of the group decide to take over a coastal German control point.Back in the village some prisoners are about to be shot by a firing squad when the good guys appear and proceed to shoot everything in sight.An amusing scene is next as a man in a barber shop having a shave gets out of his chair throws a grenade and sits back down and continues his shave as if nothing has happened!A really great motorcycle chase is next racing through the very narrow streets at high speed.Back to the coastal H.Q with some nice underwater shots trying to plant mines to destroy the oil pipelines.A fight breaks out between the officer(moore)and a German diver and Dottie(stephanie powers)is stranded on a platform by a now out of control fire but don't worry the officer(moore)jumps in a boat after defeating the diver and comes to the rescue.By now the water is ablaze because of the destroyed oil pipeline and the rescue boat is on fire so they both have to jump before it explodes.As they reach the shore a German diver leaps out from a rock and holds a knife up to dotties(powers)throat but is saved by a expert shot from Professer Blake(david niven),the diver drops Dottie faints and the platform finally blows up altogether.Colour on my print has held up very well with good mono sound and that great motorcycle chase..Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2007 08:08 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the review Mark.

Is your print an original Walton print, or a Derann re-print of a Walton negative?

Also, I know this digest was available in scope. Is yours flat or scope?

James.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2007 07:46 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi James,my version is the original Walton release and flat but you're right a scope version is available Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 07, 2007 06:05 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark, good review, I had this once or twice and its good crappy fun, first 400 super 8 sond I ever saw too.
Best Mark.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2007 09:06 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a pic of the scope version. It is faded but it is actually sharper that the flat version I had which had better color. Possibly unsqueezed by, what we call in the industry, a 'coke bottle'. A really fun reel.

-

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC