8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Royal Wedding Prince Charles & Diana

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Royal Wedding Prince Charles & Diana
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 22, 2007 07:06 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After the screening tonight here of this film I thought it worth a few minutes to pop a short review of The Royal Wedding of H.R.H Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer.

Thanks to Walton Films this record of the Wedding which took place on Wednesday July 29th 1981 was made available to the Super 8 film collecting fraternity. Its not one of the hardest titles to locate as thanks to ebay it does surface fairly regularly and for moderate sums. Presented in a rich blue case with a loving image of Charles and Diana kissing on its front cover you will have a good idea what lays in store for the collector of this film.

As a youngster I was never much of a royalist but in later years devolved an interest in the Royal Family and certainly in collecting films about them. Thankfully many were available and this one is perhaps one of the most important to own for a budding archivist.

Professionally narrated by Robert Powell and an estimated 700 million people watching the live TV broadcast this was to be a prestigious super 8mm sound release for Walton Films and one which I was pleased to add to my collection a few years ago. It is presented on a 400ft reel and in colour sound and flows beautifully capturing the essence of the day, and what a day.

The film follows the couple to the marriage venue and gives a complete overview who was on site for the ceremony. It’s also nice to see Lady Diana’s father who was not a well man at this time but still gave his daughter away on her special day with all the pomp one would expect from the brits.

Lady Diana’s dress I thought was a bit of a disappointment and as she excited the carriage it looked like it could do with a good iron to me, but I am no expert. The marriage vows are crystal clear on this print as is the music and narration. All in all it’s a great record of what was a very happy day and I remember it very well having made the trip into London (I must have been bonkers) to see what I could see which was not much with millions also having the same idea.

The print quality is sharp, warm on my now vintage copy with crisp clear sound. A nice souvenir from a time when life held more promise for Lady Diana we thought, and certainly a highly collectable memento of a small piece of British history.

Print A
Sound A
Around 250ft in length.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 23, 2007 07:36 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a very nice souvenir Lee. What a magical day that was, almost as good as the Coronation. Of course we watched it on live TV here in the States, and I think every American wished they were British on that day! A whole different story from the 1953 Coronation which was filmed off the BBC TV (Kinetescope), and the reels of film progressively flown across the Atlantic in a series of military jet aircraft, rapidly processed, and thrown onto American TV. Talk about 'buffering'!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2007 09:52 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROYAL-WEDDING-OF-DIANA-CHARLES-SP8-COL-SND-400FT_W0QQitemZ120177980277QQihZ002QQcategoryZ35064QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2007 09:58 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the Coronation Footage that is
projected in the room with the crown jewels
inside The Tower of London.

It is beautifully stunning and exciting,
as are also the crown jewels.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 05, 2007 03:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
England has a prince, let alone a queen?

(haha, just kidding!)

I was thinking like your average high school educated young person. You'll know things have REALLY gotten bad when young
British youth are shocked to find out that they have a queen mum and princes and the whole lot!

I have seen this itle come up occasionally, and I wouldn't mind having it. How has the color held up on these?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 06, 2007 03:14 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi.

The colour on mine is OK, but as always, it rather depends on how the film has been stored. Kept cool they do seem to keep quite well from Walton I find.

Looking around quite a few royal films can be located and usually do not cost a great deal, perhaps just a few pounds. It’s nice to put on a balanced programme and slotting in a special interest short such as this does go down well. Sometimes I also show films from the same year so this is an ideal partner for such a show.

Happy days.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC