8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Pieces of Silver

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pieces of Silver
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 14, 2007 07:03 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pieces of Silver
Derann, 200ft, color

This is a terrific 200ft short from Derann. This film was made for the Eastman Kodak Corporation to celebrate 100 years of the cinema. Brilliantly edited by Chuck Workman it is a rapid paced 10 minute montage of innumerable feature film clips, newsreels, and commercials, starting with shots of early motion equipment and including glimpses of Edisons first film, hand tinted Pathecolor, Birth of a Nation, through WW1 and WW2, the Hindenburgh, the Bomb, JFK, Vietnam, MLK, Nixon, and ending with 'Baby on the Lawn'! All accompanied by stirring music.
A terrific celebration of film and a perfect introduction to any super 8 film show. Very repeatable.

Highly recommended: 5 Sprockets

Print B+
Sound B+

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 14, 2007 10:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Five sprockets?

Very catchy!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 14, 2007 10:43 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
This is one film that that falls into the category I call "repeatability" and thats one of the important things to me about collecting Super8. I was so impressed with this one on 8mm that I took the plunge and got a new copy on 16mm from Derann, something I dont usually do, its an excellent film.

Graham.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted November 15, 2007 09:14 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have that film as well but the sound of my copy is truly horrible!
Derann have offered to rerecord it provided I send it back to them but with shipping from the US and the dwindling dollar that is not a good proposition. So...can anyone send the sound to me as a sound file and I can rerecord it myself? That would be great if someone here could.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 15, 2007 11:44 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have this print too and it's briliant. I also had to exchange my print to start with because of horrible sound with drop-out. This was amongst the first releases on the new Kodak material and the use of the new grey stripe [Frown]

The replacement was much improved [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2007 10:07 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this short and I absolutely put this in the catagory of "MUST OWN" for film collectors. Its good entertainment and will appeal to most audiences, but ESPECIALLY to the film enthusiest & super 8 collector.

I'm sorry to hear that several people have had problems with the sound, as mine was just fine, as was the picture.

Alan- I've never done 'sound files', but I could always do it the old-fashion way and make an internal recording onto cassette tape and just mail it to you. PM me if you want me to do that, not a problem.

James.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 02, 2008 12:14 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now then, here is something i believe every film collector should have, rather than review take a look yourself here,

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_S38F0eWiwc

The quality of this on utube doesnt do the release on celluloide any justice as i assure you all it is very very good quality, an A in picture and sound, this item has a small section missing but if you aint got it it is availible from Derann on both 8 and 16mm, very highly recommended.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 02, 2008 01:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, you guys have made me very curious about this short. Usually I'm not into films with little short clips, (like that thirty minute Mickey short with numerous clips, what was it, "Once Upon a Mouse? I forget), but this looks interesting.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 02, 2008 03:56 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't go wrong with this one Osi. I really like the shots of the zoetrope, praxinoscope, and Edisons kinetescope at the begining of the film, it kind of sets the mood for a mechanical film presentation.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC