8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » interesting Eiki

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: interesting Eiki
Louis Li
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2007 10:05 AM      Profile for Louis Li   Email Louis Li   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Frozen Moment, 2005
16 mm colour film, 3 mins. (loop)
by jonathan monk

(came across a installation piece at my museam today.
thought ill share it with you guys)

Jonathan Monk (b. 1966, lives in Berlin) moves images. One of his methods is cinematic adaptations of photographic books, which he animates and arranges as a loop. Then the clattering projector is placed so near to the screen that – in contrast with the cinema's aim to overwhelm – the projected image is about the size of a page in a book. For documenta 9 the artist "moves" an image of the show's curator, Jan Hoet, who was reproached by the press for presenting not art, but himself in a one-man show.
A photograph is a "frozen moment", a detail collected from the river of time. Jonathan Monk made a short moment like this into a film by shifting an image of Jan Hoet out of the spatial art of photography into the time-art of film. If an illustration of this kind of time-image is needed, a so-called "film still" is prepared, by photographing a moment from the film in its turn. When Jonathan Monk submitted the "still" for the catalogue illustration of his contribution, he remarked: "In fact, the entire film is still."

-
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC