8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Pixar's "Cars"...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pixar's "Cars"...
Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 27, 2006 02:58 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is (are?) superb!
John Lasseter has been a hero of mine for a long time (even more now since he's also in charge of developing new attractions for the Disney parks).
I believe he just became my favorite contemporary film director.
I was lucky enough to attend a private screening of Cars today and the film is simply magnificent. Great storytelling and filmmaking. Splendid animation. As this is the case for all Pixar's films, you simply forget that it's an animated film, and you forget that it's CG. It's just a great film. Period.

(And "One Man Band", the opening short, will probably make a great new release for our friends in Dudley... [Wink] )

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 27, 2006 05:24 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not surprised, Pixar hasn't made a bad one yet!

I remember the same quality you mentioned about it not mattering that it was CGI from the first "Toy Story". When I went to see it, I showed up to see what I thought would be kind of an amazing special effect, but 15 minutes on I became so drawn into the movie, I forgot how it was made. I kept seeing things happen and said to myself "How did they do that?" as if it were live action or stop motion, only to realize they could put anything up on the screen they could imagine!

I missed "The Incredibles" on the big screen, but I'm not letting that happen this time!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 29, 2006 07:38 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I haven't even heard about this one. Happy to hear Pixar's still out on their own making CGI features - my impression was that it was all up to Disney now, and their latest (Chicken Little) was cute but just not up to par with Pixar's best. Have to agree about Toy Story, though, it's just one of the most endearing animated features EVER made... CGI or not! [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 29, 2006 10:16 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, you aren't really up to date. Disney's latest CG effort isn't Chicken Little (agreed, it's cute) but "The Wild" (although produced outside of the Mouse House, and bears uncanny similarities with Madagascar). The good thing about Disney acquiring Pixar is that some of Pixar's key people are now taking over the creative jobs at Disney.

You've seen "The Incredibles", right?

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 29, 2006 11:10 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doh! I knew about The Wild of course, it just slipped my mind. Sheesh. [Wink]

Yes, I have seen The Incredibles, and it's incredible. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 29, 2006 07:14 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean
Cars,has not been released here yet but I am running the trl at work ,which looks great and trying to pick the different makes of cars makes it interesting,I'm looking forward to seeing the film .I guess you would have seen Ice Age2 a most enjoyable film I really felt sorry for Scart at the end .
Graham.

[ April 30, 2006, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 30, 2006 04:10 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, yes, I've seen Ice Age 2. I liked the movie a lot (I have even purchased one of the original production sketches - still at the art gallery but should be delivered soon). Cars opens in June, when you see it, stay until the very end of the credits. Pixar haven't gone the blooper way this time but chose to continue the story and deliver a truckload of in-jokes and self-references.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC