The Living Daylights, Flat LPP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Living Daylights, Flat LPP

This is my most recent purchase on 16mm. At first glance i thought i was going to be in for a shock due to the green centre line that appears during the pre title sequence.
    Fortunately, this was short lived and the rest of film, aside a couple of thin black lines here and there is absolutely fine, bearing in mind how old the print probably is and how many screenings it must have done.
    Timothy Dalton is one of my favourites as James Bond, it was a shame he only did the two.
    Filmed in Pinewood studios and Austria, The pre-title sequence was filmed on theRock of Gibraltarand although the sequence shows a hijacked Land Rovercareering down various sections of road for several minutes before bursting through a wall towards the sea, the location mostly used the same short stretch of road at the very top of the Rock, shot from numerous different angles. The beach defences seen at the foot of the Rock in the initial shot were also added solely for the film, to an otherwise non-military area

Overall, we are pleased with this print for the price paid.
    Soon after, (& on ebay right now), we spotted a comedian who has listed a scope version, it states there are green lines throughout which come and go and, the funniest part, the last ten minutes are missing. The punch line that makes this a joke? The listed price is £1053.77

Tom that looks a nice 16mm copy you have there despite the fact it is scratched and is panned and scanned . Personally i would not have bought it due to the green line emulsion scratch and it is panned and scanned . I hope you never paid a lot of money for it . I only have one feature in 16mm in my collection that is P & S . Thanks for posting those images though .

Comment

Althogh its a flat print there is no panning and scanning. I was very surprised by this, a scope print would have been great but this will do until a scope bond film turns up. The problem is Bond films in scope and in A1 condition usualy fetch the scilly sums that i would never pay. That one on ebay is a perfect example and that one is scratched throughout and has rhe last 10 minuites missing.
      while the green line is very annoying it does dissapear during the titles and is on and off up until then.

Comment

Nice addition to your collection Tom. From your description it would pass my more than acceptable quality test Enjoy!

Comment

Nice review Tom! This is a great Bond film and Timothy Dalton was a good Bond! His best was License To Kill in my opinion, closer to the Fleming novels in its tone. Sometimes a flat version will suffice, if the color and sharpness are as good as yours, even with a fleeting line here and there. It should be enjoyed until you find a great scope version at a steal! I am only collecting Super 8 prints but the more I see of 16mm, things may change. Thanks for the great review and excellent screen captures!

Comment

Thanks Burton, we are almost at our limit for the 16mm collection now. Hopefully just two more maybe three at a push but i will be moving on a couple in the new year to keep at the same levels.
            I am really enjoying the 16mm gauge now as everything is always pin sharp and bright, including the scope films. 8mm is our main stay but you cannot argue about the quality of the bigger gauge, not to mention the choices.

Comment

Lovely Tom and a very rare one to have on 16 I would think. What was the first very short run of DVD's back then were also fetching very high prices back when and when sold I've seen the sell for well over £100. We never understood when the discs were in such short supply but hey ho we thankfully have a Blu-Ray as well satisfying the digital fans. Only thing I can boast of it on film is the trailer and a 16mm title sequence with some poor soul missing it probably.

It was interesting visiting the Bond Museum a bit ago when a few of the staff asked us who was our fave bond? For me I loved Tim Dalton and watch those two films regularly. Shame the pressure got to him but he did a very believable Bond for me anyway.

Enjoy that wonderful movie and best for Christmas.

Comment

Working...
              X