Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I attach a room lamp to my Bolex 18-5L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I attach a room lamp to my Bolex 18-5L?

This question was just asked of me by Shane Collins. The answer is Yes....but with a caveat. The socket will only fit a 2 prong plug where both prongs are the same small size. Many plugs these days have one prong larger than the other to make sure it is plugged in correctly.

Here's a comparison pic:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Bolex-lamp-plug02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.5 KB ID:	569

I found an old power strip that had the two small prong plugs...and then plugged in a small bulb fixture. I also plugged in a 60w lamp and both worked fine. The manual says the socket is rated at 70w Max. I didn't run the projector...but the lamp socket is suppose to turn off when you start the projector motor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bolex-lamp-plug01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.7 KB ID:	570

Last edited by Janice Glesser; December 07, 2019, 11:50 AM.

Thank you Janice for checking! Your experiment proves you don't need the small lamp cord in order for the lamp to work. But as you pointed out most modern lamps won't work because of the large prongs. Hmm I might need to browse the web for a nice vintage lamp that would have the smaller prongs. Even a small clip on lamp would work well. I like the idea that the lamp goes out once projection has started.

Comment

When you get the lamp Shane would you confirm that the lamp does go out when you start the projector? I didn't have time to test it.

Comment

Janice I'll let you know how it works!

Comment

I am almost certain that the lamp goes out when you start the projector.

Comment

The vintage mid-century lamp I purchased came in today. I was able to plug the lamp into the Bolex 18-5L Super. It worked like a charm, and the light goes out when the projector bulb is lit. The lamp plug does fit rather snug in the outlet on the Bolex. One trick is to not push it all the way in. Also I attached the lamp to the carrying handle on top of the Bolex. The lamp has a small clamp.
            Here's a video I made and uploaded to YouTube to show how well it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joSMRT_jwOk
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191212_104609.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.9 KB ID:	905
            Attached Files

Comment

That lamp is so cute Shane. You have really gotten the best out of your little Bolex. This is the kind of attention these vintage machines deserve. Enjoy!

Comment

I even added this nice little touch! I am thinking about respraying the lamp shade a gray like the Bolex. Or should I keep the original color of black, thoughts?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191212_215407.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	929

Comment

I like the black.

Comment

Well done Shane! I love that Bolex decal you have put on the base of the lamp. My personal preference would be to paint the shade Grey as well. Maybe you can import the above picture into a paint program and see how its going to look with different colors of the shade.

Comment

Nice job Shane! I would have a tendency to go with the matching gray color.

Comment

Thanks guys! I am leaning towards painting the lamp shade gray to match the projector. I'm just not sure how to go about doing it. It's Winter here in Central Pa so I can't just respray the shade outside. Any recommendations? Maybe a local paint shop?

Comment

So here's what I was thinking! This is just a free-hand editing I did with some software. Pretty rough but gives you an idea of the color, etc.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	collage.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	1048

Comment

My vote: Stay with the existing Black base with the Bolex decal as shown. All grey shade (no white trim) Go to a paint shop and get them to match the grey paint for the shade as close as possible with the grey paint on the projector.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Adsett View Post
                              My vote: Stay with the existing Black base with the Bolex decal as shown. All grey shade (no white trim) Go to a paint shop and get them to match the grey paint for the shade as close as possible with the grey paint on the projector.
                              Paul I like your advice thanks man! I guess a black base with a gray shade would look good!

Comment

Working...
                              X