Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elmo Archaeology: Voltage Time! (Part Three: 115VAC!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmo Archaeology: Voltage Time! (Part Three: 115VAC!)

This is mostly about capacitors, and explosions…maybe a little about marriage!

(It’s still about a projector!)

A capacitor is a device for storing electrical energy. They are interesting: very simple, very effective. Just one of quite a few things that modern society couldn’t exist without, but few people even know exist.

Basically it’s that whole thing about opposites attracting, except maybe not as much about dating choices in this particular case. If you have two electrically charged plates (+ and -) and you start bringing them closer and closer together, you build up an electric field and store energy. If you stuck a wire between them, you’d get a spark and electric charges would flow between the two plates until the energy was released.

This is what capacitors do: put a voltage on plates across some insulator and store energy, the higher the voltage, the closer together, the more energy in the same area. The problem is the higher the voltage, the closer together the more likely you are to get that spark even without the wire, so that insulator needs to be very good!

These are really useful. For example, we have Alternating Current all over the world. This is where the voltage swings positive and negative 50 or 60 times a second. Any analog or digital signal processing system needs to be powered by DC voltage: constant like a battery, electrically quiet so they can handle their own signals without any argument from the power lines. Where do you think society would be if whenever we wanted to watch TV or do our homework we needed to round up a whole bunch of D-Cells?

What can we do about this? We can put the AC through a rectifier: basically fold it in half so all the bumps, both positive and negative, now point positive. This is a step in the right direction, but the voltage is still bumpy! Let’s stick some capacitors in there, so when the voltage bumps are rising they’ll store energy and when they fall, they’ll release it and fill in those voltage valleys: smooth them out. Somewhere close to you, and everywhere around the world this is happening all the time.

This is also why when people here complain about excessive hum, the discussion often turns to capacitors.

They do other useful things, like for example they allow more current to pass as the frequency of a signal rises, so they can be used to block DC and let AC pass. Commercial radio and TV would never have existed without the variable ones in tuners. There are hopes someday to use really immense capacitors to store solar-electric energy: they are more efficient than a battery. (Batteries have nothing to worry about for a long time...)

So, we want more voltage, closer together for more energy storage in a smaller space. It turns out that Aluminum Oxide is a wonderful insulator, even when very thin. If you have an aluminum electrode in a can of conductive electrolyte goo, through the miracle of Chemistry (…I’ve always been more of a Physics guy!), you can cause a thin layer of aluminum oxide to form on the electrode by putting a positive voltage on it.

-Look what we have now: conductive plate, extremely thin insulator, conductive goo. We have now “invented” a capacitor, an Electrolytic capacitor to be exact! (We’re a little late to the party…)

Many of the largest capacitors in the world are electrolytics. They store a lot more energy in a given space than other technologies, but there are drawbacks. Here are some of them:
    1. If you connect them backwards, the oxide layer breaches, a lot of current flows, the electrolyte gets hot, boils, and the pressure may explode the can. (-Been there!)
    2. They are only for DC, if you connect them across unrectified AC, the oxide layer breaches, a lot of current flows, the electrolyte gets hot, boils, and the pressure may explode the can.
    3. They need to have voltage on them to maintain the oxide layer. They don’t do well in long term storage for this reason. The oxide layer gradually dissipates. If the oxide layer disappears, when voltage is applied, a lot of current flows, the electrolyte gets hot, boils, and the pressure may explode the can.

Do you sense a theme here? Every electrolytic cap, everywhere is a tiny, potential bomb: a stink bomb, no less!

Meanwhile, back at the Cinema:

I had a “new”, yet ancient machine just stuffed full of old electrolytic capacitors. An old employer of mine never sold anything with caps stored more than 5 years, and we were way, way over this limit. My original plan included the possibility of yanking them all out, buying new ones and soldering them in. Once I figured out how many there were, I REALLY didn’t want to do that!

Spock would say “There are always possibilities”. As a matter of fact, in Star Trek IV he used photons stolen from a Navy ship to regenerate depleted dilithium crystals and bring the Whales to the 23rd century. (I can’t wait for the Musical to come out!)

I wanted that! Regeneration! (-but without stealing anything from the Navy…)

It turns out it really is possible if the electrolytic fluid hasn’t dried up. Electrolytics are originally formed-up by gradually applying voltage. I was going to do the same and hope it would work a second time. (Why not? I had nothing to lose.)

Now, obviously, this was no time to go in full throttle: 115V at the wall was just begging for scenario #3! We needed to take a leisurely cruise around the block, make sure the brakes and steering were OK before we stomped on the gas.

I brought out a model train power pack. The accessory terminals supplied 16VAC. This is a little more than 10% of 115VAC: it seemed cautious enough for a start. I applied it to the power prongs on the cord (clip leads) and turned on the power. I turned on the sound and got a faint hum, almost inaudible. I figured I wanted to slowly tease a layer of oxide to form on those caps. I also figured at such a low voltage nothing was going to happen very quickly, so I left it on all weekend.

After that, I decided I wanted to step up my game: I got out another power pack and jumpered it in series. I measured the combined voltage at 32VAC to make sure the phasing was correct (have to get all your bumps going in the same direction or they’ll cancel out and you’ll get a big Zero!).

I connected up (more clip leads). I got more hum than before. I put the machine in “Forward” and nothing moved, but then I flicked the shutter and it kept moving! Slowly it built up speed: nothing more than a few FPS, but it was moving! To me this was a little like that moment in Science Fiction when somebody comes out of centuries of suspended animation, looks up at the doctors and says “…where….am I?”. For the first time I saw this projector actually DO something!

I figured I was getting a head start cleaning the crud off that commutator: I let it run for a while.

I also let those all those capacitors spend a couple of days with 32VAC input: build up some oxides at a non-threatening voltage. I hadn’t popped a fuse or smelled that awful burst electrolytic smell (-like a thousand pounds of dead fish in the hot sun!), so I was encouraged.

It seemed like a good time for an intermediate step: 50VAC, maybe 75VAC, but I was out of power packs! Maybe I could bring it to work: plug it into a Variac. The problem is bringing something that might burst into smoke into a building with very sensitive smoke detectors and an on-site fire department seemed…unwise! I’d already met the F.D. twice under situations with a lot less embarrassing explanations and this didn’t seem a smart career move. (Next time, maybe they'll let me ride in the fire truck!)

Despite all that, I felt BOLD: it was time to go for 115 Volts!

I decided to adjourn to the patio: I said “BOLD”, not stupid! This project had already claimed a tablecloth as a casualty, I wasn’t adding filling the house with dead fish smoke to the list!

My wife likes my hobbies. She knows I benefit from them and I try to let them benefit her as well. She often comes to CineSea with me and we have film shows for our friends at the house. I also apply my technologies to ailing appliances, automobiles and clogged sinks! (The vacuum cleaner and I go way back!) I try to let all these things pile up on the positive side: it makes the occasional tablecloth easier to forgive! It’s also smart not to invite calamity when there’s a wiser choice!

I know (indirectly) a guy who spray-painted something on the living room couch without even putting newspaper down. (They got divorced years ago…)

He also tried to steal a full-sized train! (-but that’s a story for another projector!)

Part of the culture of this forum is the “Elmo Switch Trick”: when you have one that’s sat a long time you often lose sound due to oxides on the switches, so you work switches, jacks and knobs to restore audio. In the history of motion pictures, I’ve never heard of a more likely candidate for The Trick than this machine. The time for sound was now, and I worked all of them vigorously.
    b

Click image for larger version  Name:	Picnic Bench IMG_0756_1.JPG Views:	11 Size:	98.6 KB ID:	7931

I set up on a picnic bench under a bright blue sky and plugged into genuine 115VAC, 60Hz. (-It was for real now!)

At one of my old jobs, when we first powered up something brand new, we often yelled out “FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!” as if we were exploding dynamite! More than a few times it also sounded like we really were!

-I didn’t say it, but I thought it!

I turned on the sound: I got some more hum than normal, but at least it sounded like I had some capacitance going. I turned the volume up a little and the Amp went unstable: “oooo-wowwwww…”. I had a feeling about this, so I turned it down below the stability point and let it sit
    I turned the knob to “Forward” and the motor and shutter ran. At first, the speed regulation was terrible. The frame rate was all over the place: rising and falling. After maybe 30 seconds it stabilized and slowly rose to what looked and sounded a lot like 24FPS and stayed there. I let it run a while. I also tried 18 FPS: good!

I turned on the lamp: nothing! I thought “oxides!” and slid the socket back and forth on the lamp pins a few times. I tried again and I got light. (Then I turned the lamp off.)

It was a beautiful, sunny day, so I let this humming and turning go on a few hours without any bangs, booms, pops or fish smoke.

It was time to let it back in the house: It had earned that much. It had more than enough voltage and time to blow up if the caps were really bad.

I plugged in, turned up the volume, the instability came back about ¼ way up. I turned it back down until it stabilized and let it cook maybe two hours. I turned the volume up again and got the instability at roughly half-volume. Two hours more: like ¾, later all the way up before instability and finally all the way up without!

My guess is the caps were still forming up.

I grabbed a sacrificial sound film and threaded up. I still had no long belt, so I had to twirl the take-up by hand. I ran the film and got nice quality sound: steady and clear. (YESSS!!!)

Every night that week I turned on the sound and let it idle until bedtime: these caps had a lot of hours to catch up on. Along the way, the hum became what I expected it to be.

The following weekend I put the new belts in: showtime!

This machine has been in the regular lineup for almost three years now. It has a more experienced sibling that often teams up with it. The most striking difference between the two is the resurrected one seems slightly quieter. I think that’s because the gears in the “new” one aren’t worn and there is less play between the teeth. Mechanical things like the main knob and even the hinged panel feel tighter, because they aren’t as worn.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Die Twinne IMG_0848_2.JPG Views:	11 Size:	96.8 KB ID:	7932

Both machines are in pretty respectable shape and I hope to enjoy the pair of them for a very long time.

A Couple of Things:

That ancient EFP lamp that had been sitting patiently in the lamp house through six US Presidents didn’t get to complete its rated 50 hours. I ran it maybe a total of 3 minutes, then took it out to polish the pins, and the lamp broke loose from its reflector as I was reinstalling it: (It’s what time did to it.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dead IMG_0778 Bulb _3.JPG Views:	11 Size:	80.1 KB ID:	7933

For fans of Elmo trivia: the original equipment lamp was “Sylvania” (at least that day…)

I forgot something from the original unpacking.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Test_IMG_2257_filme_4.JPG Views:	11 Size:	91.6 KB ID:	7934

This is the Elmo test film that was also in the box. It’s in wonderful shape and good viewing. One of these days I’m going to review it. (-not today!)

So this projector came with a story: that long ago, when we were all a lot younger than today, somebody reserved a brand new Elmo ST-800, and for reasons we will never know didn’t pick it up. If I was ever skeptical of this story, I’m not anymore.

At the very least, the top of the carton says "Kathy Mattingly" and “HOLD”.
    b
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Kathy_IMG_2258_5.JPG Views:	11 Size:	101.7 KB ID:	7935

I decided to look her up. It turns out there are quite a few Kathy Mattinglys in the United States and she may be any one of them, or even none of them. Four decades leave a lot of room for change. (-Just ask my long belt!)

So I’d like to end this with a simple:

“Thank you, Kathy Mattingly, wherever you are!”
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Steve Klare; April 17, 2020, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Great post Steve,very interesting,and the way you have explained some basic electrical theory and made it easy to understand very impressive.I did have the st800 model once,and liked it,wish I still had one.It did all I wanted,and 800 ft is all I need.
      The elmo switch trick was used by me on that eumig 934 I posted about recently,when the sound died all of a sudden. After about 20 goes on the record button,all is now well.

Comment

Thanks!

I wanted people to understand what the big deal is that caused me to sneak up on full operation so gradually.

I used to work with a guy who's philosophy was "Damn the Torpedoes! Full Speed Ahead! Figure out what went wrong as you clear the wreckage!".

-never been my style!

(I really hated taking a day off when I worked with him!)

Comment

That was a great story and a great read Steve. What is the sacrificial film? The funny thing is that less than an hour before I was watching this animated film on YouTube... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4EUwTwZ110...which is all about capacitors, so what you were saying made sense to me, as someone who thinks electricity is magic.

Comment

The sacrificial film is a Ken 200 foot digest of "Von Ryan's Express", the very first sound film I ever bought to test my very first sound projector. I don't like it a tremendous amount, so it basically has this job! (...it's still with us!)

Electricity is Magic: I'm 40 years in Industry this June and I don't understand it completely! It's all sorts of moving electrons and propagation of electric fields, but that's too much for sane people to process. (I did learn it once...) Most of us just imagine it as invisible water flowing in invisible pipes! -pressure, flow, resistance!

Comment

I'm so impressed that I don't find anything original to say Thanks a lot for sharing this, Steve !

Comment

Thanks, Dominique,

This story has been just burning to get out since 2017, but it must have been a very slow burn, since I only started writing it this month!

Just as well: it's nicer with our improved picture capabilities here.

Comment

Probably not film-related but...

Thanks Steve for your idea about gradually waking up electronics from vegetable-stage! Currently having a presumably faulty vcr (it does play, but with distorted color) sitting idle in my storage. Since it's Panasonic HS-100, quite a high-end ones which is too decent to throw it away, I should give it a chance at least.

Comment

I've been giving this some thought, and maybe I over-complicated it all along. I actually had a variable AC source the whole time: a lamp dimmer. If I had it to do again, I might have plugged the machine into one of these and stepped the voltage up maybe 10VAC every day.

(Eh! It was fun!...as long as the thing didn't blow up on me!)

Comment

I have an ST 800 which i found very cheap (£3.00) from a garage sale.It was in very nice condition,all it needed was new belts and i changed the 1.3 lens for a 1.1 and now it works great and is probably my favoured projector.It also has optical sound which after over a year of owning it i still haven't been able to test as I've never seen an optical super 8 film.

Comment

The optical sound ones are rare: I've never seen one in person.

I have one optical film: a gift from a friend. Unless I stumble across an optical machine someday, I've come to think of this one as yet another silent!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Moffatt View Post
                          I have an ST 800 which i found very cheap (£3.00) from a garage sale.It was in very nice condition,all it needed was new belts and i changed the 1.3 lens for a 1.1 and now it works great and is probably my favoured projector.It also has optical sound which after over a year of owning it i still haven't been able to test as I've never seen an optical super 8 film.
                          be aware that the electrolytic capacitors are probably at the end of their useful life. The main power board ones in my projector dumped electrolyte on the board and pretty much ruined it. I was sort of able to salvage, but something is not right still, and I'm blowing fuses. Best to do preventative maintenance before it turns into a real problem!

Comment

Working...
                          X