Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options for Super 8 film scanner?

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a super 8 film scanner, but I'm not confident enough to make a decision on which one to get. To start with, it seems like there aren't that many options out there.

There's the Wolverine Data Film2Digital Movie Maker (and similar such models) and the Pacific Image Reflecta (see links for both below).

I'm not sure which of the two is the best option. One reason I've been apprehensive in buying a scanner is I've heard that the consumer level super 8 scanners often have terrible image quality. Now the majority of what I'll be scanning will be old family reels...so it's not like I'm starting off with high resolution images...all the same I'd like to preserve as much of the image quality as I can.

I've done the math for sending out my films to a lab or a scanning service. In the long run, it'll be in my best interest to get a scanner, considering I still shoot with super 8.

If either of the choices above are terrible, can someone please recommend a good model? I do have some standard 8mm films, so it would be great to get a scanner that scans both.

One other thing, some of the film I'm transferring has sound. I don't suppose any scanners out there have the ability to transfer the sound as well? If not, what's the best way to transfer the sound? Record the sound by using the headphone jack on a projector?

I apologize for all the questions. As you can see, i have little experience with this and I don't want to make the wrong decision and pick a scanner that is bad.

I'd appreciate any advice!

links:

Wolverine: https://www.adorama.com/wvf2dmmpro.h...kaAlEZEALw_wcB

Pacific Image Reflecta: https://www.adorama.com/ipisuper8p.h...0aAgMaEALw_wcB

You're right - these are only options for sub 1k$ scanners, and nothing else AFAIK.
    Nor sure about Reflecta but I once have a (rather short) hands-on experience with that Wolverine. It was sent to me for evaluation about a few days before returning it to the original owner.

In short - that Wolverine sucks.

Quality-wise it is supposed to be FHD resolution scan. But comparing the result with a standard definition camera I'm using, the resolution is actually more or less the same. The color rendition is quite off also.

Judging from the sample I had seen, Reflecta would be a better choice quality-wise. Be reminded that it's considerably more costly and much,much slower than Wolverine (2fps for Wolverine vs 2 seconds PER FRAME for Reflecta)

Comment

Hi Nantawat, thank you very much for your reply! Its a shame to hear that Wolverine is not a good choice, considering its price range reasonable. You mentioned that better quality scanners are above the $1K price range. Out of curiosity, which models are these? I'd like to take a look at their specs.

Thanks again!

Comment

I considered this one at >$6000 http://www.moviestuff.tv/moviestuff_...i_scanner.html

You could checkout the Wolverine upgrade kit, in THIS FORUM!

Comment

David, The Moviestuff scanners are not well made. (Not that the Wolverine is either.) However the problem with the Moviestuff is the terrible support. I bought one a few years ago and it was blatantly advertised as being able to adjust the cropping and that was part of the sale. When I got it and found it couldn't do that, the owner (Roger) proceeded to yell at me and told me how stupid it was for me to want that feature, absolutely refused to let me finish a sentence and told me in not so nice words to stuff it. He SHOULD have taken it back and refunded the money since he was clearly guilty of false advertising, but it was clear he doesn't give a shit about his customers once he had their money.

I used the scanner to transfer a few reels of film and was very much unimpressed with the quality, quirky software and the stupid "paperclip tensioner" design that I found was very rough on the film. I still have it as a reminder of the terrible business practices of Moviestuff.

Without delving into the ripoff experience too much further, I will remind everyone that all sales are final no matter what (even if the machine is advertised to do something it doesn't actually do) and if you dare complain, you will get berated and yelled at personally by Roger. It was one of the most unprofessional experiences I've ever had. My recommendation is to stay FAR AWAY from anything he makes unless you don't really care about the quality and are willing to take on 100% of the financial risk in whatever you buy.

Comment

Thanks Brad. It's great to hear your experience. I was close to purchasing, but it's just too expensive for home use. I have seen good reviews, but those are from people who review things. Most owners seem to be commercial.

I purchased a Wovlerine Moviemaker Pro and was very disappointed with scanner mechanics and digital scans. Wolverine support is good and I have worked with them as I modify my existing unit, replacing parts and firmware I have damaged along the way!

The last year of modification is about complete, and I just ordered my upgrade kit. One could even buy the base unit for "parts only" and revive it with the kit. It has far better results than a stock unit.

If anyone wants more information, the thread begins about January of 2019 (I know it all began in '17). That is a lot of reading starting in the Forum Archive, and it continues today.

Comment

Brad, thank you very much for sharing your experiences. I look a look at the Moivestuff scanners and in principal, they look really amazing...but if the customer service is bad, then it's difficult to confidently invest in something that pricey.

David, I took a look at the thread you mentioned. It looks like you guys are doing some great stuff. I just wish I had the technical knowledge to follow and better understand the posts made in that thread.

Please keep the suggestions coming. I'd love to learn more!

Comment

Hi Robert. We have been working on the Wolverine mod for over a year. The mod replaces the Wolverine controller with a custom one and different camera from https://www.oemcameras.com/dfm-72buc02-ml.htm
                So, if you want to take this route, look for a used Wolverine unit for parts and check the description. If the controller is bad or it does not power up or bad display, grab it. It will most likely work with the new controller.

V11 mod kit which includes the controller board, front panel with the switches and the camera mount go for around $90 (just barely covering my costs). The camera is not included but you can get it easily from oemcameras if you are US based.l
                The kit will be available in 3-4 weeks. I am trying to get the auto assembly done in the factory.

The transfer speeds are 0.5,1 and 2 FPS.

The Wolverine transport is not very good with damaged film so there is another mod for the capstan. We are still trying to finalize that.

To give you an idea of the amount of work involved I am enclosing the user manual.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B_...RCfM-uiP8B25IF

Actually it is not that bad but you have to be careful and go slowly and feel free contact me if you have issues.
                I promise I will not yell at you

There is a funny video posted by Mike Spice on how to do the mod.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rY6PjkpxOw

And the results are here. I think it was worth all the trouble

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ytl...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Brad - my experience with Moviestuff support and systems has been quite different from yours. Roger is one of the most-responsive people I've run across in this business. The few times I've had an issue he personally called me and we were able to resolve it quickly. I've tried a number of different transfer systems and I'm a Moviestuff fan.

Comment

Tom it's nice to know Roger didn't completely screw you over, but he sure as hell did with me. False advertising, quite rude, directly lying to me, absolute refusal to support his own product and so forth.

He owes me a full refund and a one heck of a sincere apology. Until that time, I'll keep spreading my experience as a warning to others so they don't suffer getting ripped off. One day he will realize the way he took me for a ride will have made him LESS profit than simply being a professional and honest business owner and refunding the total scam that he pulled.

And remember, if he did it to me, he has likely screwed over others. The man clearly has no business ethics.

Comment

Brad - what model transfer unit did you buy?

Comment

Retro 8.

Comment

Stan Jelavic How do I go about ordering the kit when ready? Is there a final cost? Is this in the USA or elsewhere?

Comment

Hi Brian. Just add your name to the spreadsheet:
                            https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...o9Q/edit#gid=0

The kit cost is $135 Includes

- assembled board, front panel and switches $100
                            - test $20
                            - camera mount $15

Camera, and lens assembly is not included and can be ordered from
                            https://www.oemcameras.com/dfm-72buc02-ml.htm

M-12 Color Board Camera Lenses with IR Cut Filter & Mount 12mm f2.8 5MP 1/2in & TLH 10-2S Mount w/ Set Screw If you are interested in assembled board only without testing to save the cost, then just add a note in the spreadsheet.
                            It will be around $80 but will have to double check.
                            I am Florida based. The domestic shipping rates are around $4.
                            Hope this helps.

Comment

@Stan Jelavic Stan, I too am interested in the assembled kit ($135). But then, after ordering the camera and lens assembly, do I install them on the board or would I send them to you for assembly on the 'kit?' I'm not clear on how much work is involved in replacing the kit, camera and lens assembly in the Wolverine 8mm & Super 8 Reels to Digital MovieMaker Pro. Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                              X