8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How Do I Modify ST-1200 For More Light? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How Do I Modify ST-1200 For More Light?
Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted February 03, 2005 11:33 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must confess that when I read Joe's post wondering about why Elmo etc. didn't incorporate features such as the 2-blade shutter into their designs, I'm glad nobody did... the increased light output vs. a 3-blade shutter is certainly nothing to scoff at, but I wonder if I'm the only one who would be bothered by the reduced amount of light/dark cycles per second? ... Am I? [Confused]

Here's the thing - I grew up in Germany (moved to the States about 9 years ago) so I was always accustomed to watching PAL TV with 50 fps... and I always noticed some flicker as well, though at the time I didn't think it was all that bad! Fast-forward a few years, and suddenly I'm watching NTSC TV at 60fps and I'm simply stunned at the difference that an extra 10 light/dark cycles make in providing a much steadier picture with less flickering... so easy on the eyes, I can almost understand why Americans are such TV junkies. [Big Grin] Since then I've been back to Germany to visit my parents, and believe it or not, I cannot watch PAL TV anymore without getting a headache after a while... an hour at most, maybe.

But before I digress... one of the reasons I love film is, you have a rock-steady projection image with 72 light/dark cycles per second (at 24fps), and that's all the more important since the picture is so large vs. a TV screen. Now, going back to a 2-blade shutter and putting up with only 48 cycles per second on that huge screen... I could not do it!!! I would want to scream. Maybe I just have unusually sensitive vision - I can even tell the difference between 75fps and 85fps on my PC monitor - but I can't be the only one who wouldn't be bothered by the increased flicker of a 2-blade shutter. [Eek!]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 03, 2005 12:04 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan,
Yes I have the same reaction when I visit the UK. But apparently the flicker does not bother the Brits. When I remark about the flicker on their TV they wonder what I am talking about!
Regarding the 2-bladed shutter on the GS1200, I have made this conversion on one of my machines, and the incresed brightness is very noticeable. I have found that the flicker only becomes noticeable if you project a small picture. And remember, your local Muliplex projects with 2-bladed shutters.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2005 12:26 PM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have a 2 blade conversion in my 'new'GS 1200. My earlier example had the standard 3 blades and in a direct comparison to my other projector, a ST180, yes the extra 100w from the GS gave a brighter picture, allthough both looked good.
Now against the 2 blades the ST180 really is just a pale shadow and now I only use it on my camping holidays running off the car battery using an inverter.
I eaven now show all my 18 fps film on the 2 bladed machine, yes there is noticable flicker in very light scenes, but speeded up slightly this is hardly noticable.
For what is actually free exrta light from the bulb a 2 bladed conversion is the way to go.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2005 12:34 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

You now have my attention. You take you r projector on holiday [Eek!]

I am truly humbled

--------------------
Tony

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted February 03, 2005 12:41 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul: yeah, that's what I meant... the Brits just don't know any better (sorry, folks) [Big Grin] and although I was once in the same boat, now that I do know better you couldn't pay me enough to go back... no 2-blade for me, thanks [Smile]

Are you sure about the big multiplex cinemas using 2-blades though? I swear they all operate on 3-blade, as I really notice practically no flicker on the big big screen. In fact, I once heard many moons ago that some theatre systems use no shutter at all but use a special lamp that actually turns on and off 72 times per second in synchronity with the intermittent motion of the 35mm film. [Eek!] I'm not sure if that's true (or even possible), it's strictly hearsay and I may well have been fed a bunch of crock there. [Wink]

--------------------

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2005 12:49 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple,but often overlooked is the original lamp alignment.I have increased light output on many machines by simply paying attention to this small but important feature. [Cool]

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2005 04:13 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,

Apparently in the UK they use Strobe lights at Disco's but only the Yanks notice

--------------------
Tony

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted February 03, 2005 05:47 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!!!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted February 08, 2005 12:21 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you sure about the big multiplex cinemas using 2-blades though? I swear they all operate on 3-blade, as I really notice practically no flicker on the big big screen. In fact, I once heard many moons ago that some theatre systems use no shutter at all but use a special lamp that actually turns on and off 72 times per second in synchronity with the intermittent motion of the 35mm film. [Eek!] I'm not sure if that's true (or even possible), it's strictly hearsay and I may well have been fed a bunch of crock there.
Since I install and service 35mm and 70mm commercial equipment, trust me when I say YUP, you're looking at 2 bladed shutters! The only place 3 bladed shutters are used is in very special screening room situations where there is plenty of light to throw away.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2005 01:43 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan and Paul, you must have been watching duff television sets if you were picking up flicker. Likewise when I visit the States the appaling standard of televisions provided in hotels, bars etc. does make me wonder how anyone in America can ever stand to watch television at all. However, I realize what I'm watching is cheap rubbish and despite the fewer lines resolution modern NTSC reproduction is actually very good.

With a two-bladed shutter, a big enough image will mask any flicker some may pick up. Personally, I rarely use 18fps so it's not a problem.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted February 08, 2005 09:12 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beg to differ as I just have very good vision, that's all ... please trust me on it. [Wink] Yeah, TV overall is rather poor nowadays; the HDTV standard is long overdue and still only beginning to establish itself among average consumers.

Brad: I'm honestly surprised... but my guess as to why there isn't any flicker to be noticed even with a 2-blade shutter is that the actual duration of the dark phase is very short whereas the light phase is pretty long... unlike TV where the picture is really a series of lines that light up one by one only to rapidly fade out again, before the TV has even completed one full field. (Two fields make one full, interlaced frame.)
Am I right? [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC