8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Is A Kodak Sound Coating?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Is A Kodak Sound Coating?
Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2011 07:56 AM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all-

What's a Kodak sound coating? I asked if a S8 film for sale was sound or silent and they said it had a Kodak Sound Coating.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 13, 2011 09:09 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though the vast majority of film is silent, there are several types of film that include a soundtrack.

16mm film may have either an optical or a magnetic soundtrack. In either case, the film will have sprocket holes along only one edge, and the soundtrack will be along the opposite edge.

Optical sound looks like a white waveform that is part of the film.

Magnetic sound looks like a solid brown stripe that has been glued to the surface of the film.

There is a third type of 16mm sound film called Full Coat, though it is used only by professional filmmakers. Unlike the first two formats, full coat 16mm film is a sound-only format, with no images on the film. It usually accompanies a reel of silent 16mm film. It looks like single-perforated 16mm film, except the surface will be solid brown instead of a series of image frames.

Super 8mm film shot after August 1973 may have a magnetic soundtrack. If so, there will be a brown stripe glued to the surface of the film on the edge opposite the sprocket holes.

In extremely rare cases, Regular 8mm film may have a magnetic soundtrack. If so, there will be a brown stripe glued to the surface of the film on the edge with the sprocket holes.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 13, 2011 09:18 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy,

It sounds like that film had been sent to Kodak to be sound striped. Kodak referred to that process as Kodak Sonotrack Coating. I've done that with silent films so I could record a soundtrack. I also picked up this on eBay from a seller who had done the same thing:

-

-

This collector mixed his own music and sound effects and did a great job.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2011 11:27 AM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's it!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC